Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How important were album covers in your purchases?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How important were album covers in your purchases?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2022 at 14:24
If I remember correctly, I haven't bought much based on the cover alone. In the early days of my music interest I read the Rock Lexikon and a book collecting all Sounds album reviews from 67-77 (both German language publications), so I had a good number of things I wanted to buy and check out when I found them on flea markets (not much money available at that age of course). Cover alone was too risky for me and it pretty much stayed like that. I always had too many ideas what to buy for my money (or later time). I may have occasionally preferred an album with cool cover from a band I already had on my list, or even knew already, so after having heard Going For The One as my first Yes album, I'd buy Yessongs, Tales, Relayer on occasion but avoid CTTE and the Yes Album.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2022 at 13:08
Artwork is huge for me, I bought many many albums due to the artwork that I had not clue what the genre was. For the most part I could have an idea based on song titles and musicians and what they were playing.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2022 at 11:19
I bought my brother "Godbluff" for his seventeenth birthday (which was my seventh birthday as well) based on the album cover (actually based on the cool logo with the impossible 3D-letters); he didn't know VdGG back then.

Edited by BaldFriede - May 01 2022 at 11:20

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2022 at 10:47
Well the album cover is often used as a signal about what to expect musically. If there are dragons, elfs and fairies, I usually sense it is not for me, whereas I often fall for a more concretist design.
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2022 at 07:59

The artwork has always been very important to me, as I've thought of albums as a kind of multimedia - not least LP's. 
Besides that, I've seen throughout the years that if I like the cover, the probability for I'll like the music is much larger.
It's a bit like I can perceive the music looking at the cover, and imo that's not least the purpose of good artwork.

Edited by David_D - May 04 2022 at 04:37
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2022 at 06:51
Cover art was always an IN for me to check out unknown artists, but once I had the LP in my hands it was immediately flipped over to check out the instrumentation used (if listed). Many LP's back in the day (70's) had the band members listed along with what they played. If I saw one member with an array of keyboards, Organ, Piano, synths I was more likely to buy it than for just the art work itself.

Edited by JD - May 01 2022 at 08:52
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2022 at 06:28
Or better put: How important were album covers in your record store purchases?

I can name numerous times when an album's art work either lured me into purchasing an album by an otherwise-unknown-to-me artist or turned me off. Back when hanging out in record stores, flipping through album bins, was the highlight of my day/week.

On: Any and all Roger Dean covers
Genesis Live's amazing stage photo of spectre in the pink triangle mask!
Anthony Phillips' Peter Cross albums, starting with The Geese and The Ghost and Private Parts and Pieces
Cocteau Twins and all 1980s 4 AD releases.
David Sylvian

Off: All Gentle Giant, Magma, and Soft Machine releases from the 1970s. Their album covers just didn't draw me in! 

How 'bout you?

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123