FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My New Blog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 38>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2022 at 09:44
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Ale of the Week updated and some sports musings in the Beer & News Pages.

Album reviews updated with Comedy of Errors from 2013, and Airs, Hogarth & Barbieri, 3rd Degree, Steve Hackett, The Minstrel’s Ghost, and Mudway from 2012.

I'm intrigued, Steve. how many times on average would you say you listen to an album, before you put pen to paper, so to speak?

Hi Jared. There are two answers to this question, as I can see why you might be confused or asking.

When I listen to a new album, I will listen to it at least three times before making rough notes. I will then listen at least a couple more times before expanding said rough notes into a review narrative, and sometimes more. So, a minimum of five times, sometimes more.

The reviews I placed on the site last night are not new reviews, they are historic ones which have only been edited to the extent that I have removed PA ratings from them, in line with my review "policy" on my new site, and corrected grammatical errors & etc. I always felt constricted by the five star review system here. One of the main purposes of my new website was, in addition to reviewing brand new music, books, booze, food, and etc. and etc., to act as a repository of my old reviews here on PA, which I regard as being my intellectual property and not those of Max.

It takes quite a bit of work to transpose my old reviews, edit them where I feel it necessary, and finally to upload them to my site with videos and necessary comments. There are also a couple I will not post, because the main protagonist has passed away and my review was not altogether fully positive.

Therefore, the rush of historic reviews uploaded last night were just that - historic reviews. I will, as soon as I have finished that particular sub-project, which will take a few weeks yet, start placing on the site brand new reviews of stuff I either missed, or simply did not review at the time, and I will differentiate between these and historic ones.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2022 at 08:41

Album reviews updated with Comedy of Errors from 2013, and Airs, Hogarth & Barbieri, 3rd Degree, Steve Hackett, The Minstrel’s Ghost, and Mudway from 2012.

I'm intrigued, Steve. how many times on average would you say you listen to an album, before you put pen to paper, so to speak?

Edited by Jared - June 06 2022 at 08:42
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2022 at 08:39

Reviews of new albums by Pure Reason Revolution and Talisk (a Scottish modern folk band) added to Album Reviews of 2022.

Now, you have piqued my interest... Big smile It may not be today (working long hours this Bank Hol weekend) but I'll certainly head over there for a read... 

Tongue I think you will enjoy both the album and the review. 

Once again, a very enjoyable review Steve. I must pick this up at some stage, along with the 2CD reissue of their debut. I have to confess that by 'Hammer & Anvil', they had lost me a bit, but mercifully they seem to have been reborn and returned to the complexity of their roots.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2022 at 15:10

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2022 at 09:42

Reviews of new albums by Pure Reason Revolution and Talisk (a Scottish modern folk band) added to Album Reviews of 2022.

Now, you have piqued my interest... Big smile It may not be today (working long hours this Bank Hol weekend) but I'll certainly head over there for a read... 

Tongue I think you will enjoy both the album and the review. 
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2022 at 09:09

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2022 at 09:02

Plus a couple of historic reviews of Transatlantic & Frequency Drift added to 2014 section of Album Reviews by Year Page.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2022 at 14:16
You know, putting Steve's marvellous blog to one side for a moment...

This thread is very quickly starting to resemble both 'The Shed' and 'The Shed 2: Gazebo' frequented by myself and an assortment of 40/50 years old, mainly British PA'ers, generally disgruntled with life and how they were treated by it. There was obviously a need for such an establishment! I'll have to ask Chopper (Alan) whether he knows where the keys are!  LOL 
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2022 at 12:02

Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

And while you’re reading All In It Together, you could listen to We’re All In This Together. 😜

LOL Fantastic! Review will come, I promise!

Promises, and reviews, unnecessary- I assure you! I didn’t mention it for that reason, but only because it was the fist thing I thought of, given the other title. 🤪

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2022 at 11:51
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

And while you’re reading All In It Together, you could listen to We’re All In This Together. 😜

LOL Fantastic! Review will come, I promise!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2022 at 11:50
Curly Howard – (Travalanche)
Oh, a wise guy, huh? Yuk, yuk, yuk.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2022 at 11:37

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2022 at 11:33

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Steve, I just ordered "Stop Bloody Bossing Me About" by Letts. I know that this is geared to the English public, but I'm sure there's enough crossover into the American cancel culture to make it worth it, and Letts should be a good read, no matter if there isn't.

Hi Steve. I think you in particular will take a great deal of pleasure from it. Next review, when I finish, by the way, will be All In It Together, a really interesting, and funny, history of 21st century (mainly) British political and social history. There are some gems in that, and you will appreciate much of it.
Thanks for the info, Steve. Sounds like another read that's right up my alley!

Edited by SteveG - May 31 2022 at 11:48
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2022 at 10:06
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Steve, I just ordered "Stop Bloody Bossing Me About" by Letts. I know that this is geared to the English public, but I'm sure there's enough crossover into the American cancel culture to make it worth it, and Letts should be a good read, no matter if there isn't.

Hi Steve. I think you in particular will take a great deal of pleasure from it. Next review, when I finish, by the way, will be All In It Together, a really interesting, and funny, history of 21st century (mainly) British political and social history. There are some gems in that, and you will appreciate much of it.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2022 at 07:59

Edited by SteveG - May 31 2022 at 08:01
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2022 at 15:15

Steve, it's becoming a really great blog, very well done! You've put a tremendous amount of work into this and it's really beginning to show. You're a great interviewer, who has elicited some revealing answers and comments. A few weeks ago, I enjoyed the Three Colours Dark interview and this evening, I have gone back to read the Panic Room one. I have just noticed the mention of Mermaid Kiss, which brought to mind a gig in Lydney I attended back in 2008 when MK supported Panic Room when they released Visionary Position. I remember the band were from the small town in Herefordshire I was living at the time and rehearsed in a large shed behind a field of Llamas!

That is really kind of you to say so, thanks Jared. I had thought about doing a YouTube interview or review thing, but the market is a bit overcrowded, I think, with SoT, Classic Album Review, and so on, and besides which people would not want to gawp at my ugly mug. I think I would also be extremely self-conscious on camera, and besides, I like to READ things. I think they are more permanent and something which is on record, as it were. Or perhaps that is just me being a boring old git!LOL

Really interesting story re Mermaid Kiss! With regard to Panic Room & Three Colours Dark, Jonathan, Rachel, and Anne-Marie have been extremely kind in our interactions, and the music is highly recommended to anyone reading this who have not heard them.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2022 at 14:31
Steve, it's becoming a really great blog, very well done! You've put a tremendous amount of work into this and it's really beginning to show. You're a great interviewer, who has elicited some revealing answers and comments. A few weeks ago, I enjoyed the Three Colours Dark interview and this evening, I have gone back to read the Panic Room one. I have just noticed the mention of Mermaid Kiss, which brought to mind a gig in Lydney I attended back in 2008 when MK supported Panic Room when they released Visionary Position. I remember the band were from the small town in Herefordshire I was living at the time and rehearsed in a large shed behind a field of Llamas!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2022 at 11:27
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

I'm only occasionally getting to your blog/site, Steve, but every time I enjoy reading the reviews and/or interviews I stumble upon. They've led to some musical explorations I wouldn't have come to otherwise. Many thanks, and keep them coming! Beer

Hey, Kees, that is really kind of you to say so.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2022 at 11:25
I'm only occasionally getting to your blog/site, Steve, but every time I enjoy reading the reviews and/or interviews I stumble upon. They've led to some musical explorations I wouldn't have come to otherwise. Many thanks, and keep them coming! Beer

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2022 at 11:15
Tonight, I have uploaded an exclusive interview with t (Thomas Thielen). it is extremely in depth and fascinating reading. Simply go to https://lazland.org/interviews/t-thomas-thielen 

Also, review of Return To The Earth new album, Fall of the Watcher added to Album Reviews 2022.

Lastly, Video of the Week updated with the late, great, Alan White featuring Howe & Anderson.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 38>