Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I dont really get Misplaced Childhood

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2023 at 06:54
The "Kayleigh" spelling coined by Fish looks cool as heck imo! BTW speaking of people who were given made-up character names, have any of you guys met a dude named Anakin? I mean, considering how important Star Wars was (and still is) in the western world's popular culture, someone must've named their child Anakin, dontya think?

Also, you probably know this story but for those who don't, heres some naming trivia: Roine's children's names are Johann Sebastian Stolt and Peter Gabriel Stolt. 🤣

Edited by Hrychu - December 22 2023 at 06:56
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2023 at 07:14
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^ That seems to explode the myth that Fish invented the name Kayleigh (his ex girlfriend was Kay Lee) as a fake Scottish name that was later adopted by many for real.

A friend of mine (and Marillion fan) named hos daughter Kayleigh but not because of the song. Mom is of Scottish descent and wanted a Scottish first name. But, from birth the daughter is called by her middle name.

Trump's former White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany was born in 1988 and I had wondered if a parent knew the Marillion song but she is clearly of Scottish descent.
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2023 at 11:37
I think this is really the finest of the Fish era albums (IMO), and of course it contains two stunning poppy songs in 'Kayleigh' and 'Lavender'. Tho the album as a whole is a stunner from start to finish.
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2023 at 00:17
I do love it. I guess my second favourite Marillion album, just after Script. Who knows, with repeated listenings it may click... or not. If you have trouble with the vocals, perhaps getting used to them may help... I myself am not the biggest fan of Fish's vocals... but neither am I much of a fan of Gabriel's vocals, and still I love Genesis music.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2023 at 21:16
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

^ That seems to explode the myth that Fish invented the name Kayleigh (his ex girlfriend was Kay Lee) as a fake Scottish name that was later adopted by many for real.

A friend of mine (and Marillion fan) named hos daughter Kayleigh but not because of the song. Mom is of Scottish descent and wanted a Scottish first name. But, from birth the daughter is called by her middle name.

Trump's former White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany was born in 1988 and I had wondered if a parent knew the Marillion song but she is clearly of Scottish descent.

I'm sure there are many 'Kayleigh's' that are nothing to do with the song but I had been (possibly) mislead into believing the name didn't exist before the song, so it's kind of an urban myth that Fish invented it (but a fun one nevertheless!)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2023 at 21:21
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I do love it. I guess my second favourite Marillion album, just after Script. Who knows, with repeated listenings it may click... or not. If you have trouble with the vocals, perhaps getting used to them may help... I myself am not the biggest fan of Fish's vocals... but neither am I much of a fan of Gabriel's vocals, and still I love Genesis music.

I might say the same but then Forgotten Songs gives me goosebumps every time and mostly because of Fish. He was a remarkable and contrasting singer to have at a time of all the new romanticism stuff that was coming out. There was no one like him, great Scottish lunk that he was (and still is!).
Someone mentioned the Lorely video. Absolutely love that!
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2023 at 22:53
I'm actually more of a H fan than a Fish fan, but my two favorite Marillion albums are Script and MC. If you don't like MC it's your loss, not mine. As others have said, there are plenty of prog albums to choose from. Maybe just stay away from Fish albums then.
Hector Enrique View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hector Enrique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 25 2023 at 06:30
The Fish era was for me the brightest of "Marillion", and MC one of the best albums of the 80's, not only of the band, but of the progressive genre in general. Although the first time I heard it it took me a while to process it, it later became one of my favorite albums. Each album is a world and a unique journey, which is part of some special moment in your life, and those emotions are also part of the ingredients that end up influencing your evaluation, which is as personal as it is subjective.
Héctor Enrique
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2023 at 00:57

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I might say the same but then Forgotten Songs gives me goosebumps every time and mostly because of Fish. He was a remarkable and contrasting singer to have at a time of all the new romanticism stuff that was coming out. There was no one like him, great Scottish lunk that he was (and still is!).
Someone mentioned the Lorely video. Absolutely love that!

I guess that his singing is kind of "you don't know what you have until you see it lost". Not a fan of his singing until we find he's no longer with the band. And yes, Forgotten Sons is a powerful piece.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2023 at 01:24

Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

I'm sure there are many 'Kayleigh's' that are nothing to do with the song but I had been (possibly) mislead into believing the name didn't exist before the song, so it's kind of an urban myth that Fish invented it (but a fun one nevertheless!)

...Kayleigh is a name of Gaelic origin that translates to “slim and fair” or “slender.” It is a variant of the name Cayla, which means “from Caoilainn.” The name became popular in the 1980s after a song by the British band Marillion, which featured a character named Kayleigh... https://www.nameoftheyear.com/kayleigh-name-meaning/

Cheers View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2024 at 11:47
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

I bought it the day it was released in my country. I actually loved Fugazi and Real To Reel, but Scripts was not yet available here. The same day I bought Soft Machine's Land Of Cockayne and I remember tripping at a friend's home with both the albums. 
You have to consider that in 1983 there was just MTV and few radios, the actial music was standardized on Yamaha and Korg keyboards, Fairlight for the rich, sequenced drums and a lot of gel in the hair. Misplaced Childhood brought a bit of good prog into our lives. It's true: Kayleigh is a commercial song, I think it's still their biggest commercial success, but it's part of a concept album. Listened together with Pseudo-silk Kimono and Lavender it has a different flavor. As Richardh says, the B side of the vinyl is better. 
It's probably me, but I think Marillion tried in the second part to follow the structure of The Dark Side of the Moon, with Expresso Bongo taking the role of Money and the title track with White Feather in the roles of Brain Damage and Eclipse. 

Back to Kayleigh: it's a real person. Fish has revealed the story in an interview. She was a nurse, passed away for a cancer years after the album release.

P.S. - I can't get into Genesis and Selling England By The Pound. We all have "faults".

You're a Brave, Brave man - to admit that re: SEBTP! - hat off for doing so, and while we're making 'confessions' while I think its great - it is my least fave of the Gabriel era, and I enjoy TOTT more...

I like MC but love CAS - post Fish I'm a total cliche: Marbles and Afraid of Sunlight all the way...

Anyway - as others have said - Prog is a big, big church - and you can't like it all, so don't sweat when it doesn't click for you....  - Rush have always left me cold, yet I consider Prog to be my favourite music genre... I know what I like!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2024 at 00:00
Originally posted by Cheers Cheers wrote:

Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

I bought it the day it was released in my country. I actually loved Fugazi and Real To Reel, but Scripts was not yet available here. The same day I bought Soft Machine's Land Of Cockayne and I remember tripping at a friend's home with both the albums. 
You have to consider that in 1983 there was just MTV and few radios, the actial music was standardized on Yamaha and Korg keyboards, Fairlight for the rich, sequenced drums and a lot of gel in the hair. Misplaced Childhood brought a bit of good prog into our lives. It's true: Kayleigh is a commercial song, I think it's still their biggest commercial success, but it's part of a concept album. Listened together with Pseudo-silk Kimono and Lavender it has a different flavor. As Richardh says, the B side of the vinyl is better. 
It's probably me, but I think Marillion tried in the second part to follow the structure of The Dark Side of the Moon, with Expresso Bongo taking the role of Money and the title track with White Feather in the roles of Brain Damage and Eclipse. 

Back to Kayleigh: it's a real person. Fish has revealed the story in an interview. She was a nurse, passed away for a cancer years after the album release.

P.S. - I can't get into Genesis and Selling England By The Pound. We all have "faults".

You're a Brave, Brave man - to admit that re: SEBTP! - hat off for doing so, and while we're making 'confessions' while I think its great - it is my least fave of the Gabriel era, and I enjoy TOTT more...

I like MC but love CAS - post Fish I'm a total cliche: Marbles and Afraid of Sunlight all the way...

Anyway - as others have said - Prog is a big, big church - and you can't like it all, so don't sweat when it doesn't click for you....  - Rush have always left me cold, yet I consider Prog to be my favourite music genre... I know what I like!

Genesis were not always consistent as a band although the trio of NC, Foxtrot and SEBTP do line up pretty well. For me Foxtrot is the masterpeice of the Gabriel era although Lamb is a really interesting 'prog rock opera' thing perhaps taking in Quadrophenia as an influence.

Rush are one my favourite bands but it was a bumpy ride with them all the way. They maybe got a bit too 80's electro after Moving Pictures but I still think that Permanent Waves and MV (considering when they came out) are remarkable albums. They rediscovered their hard rock roots in the 90's that eventually lead Vapor Trails. I love that album but it doesnt do it for everyone. Generally Rush have been one of the more interesting guitar bands in the history of rock music. I normally get very bored with bands that stick mainly to guitars with few exceptions. Never got that much into Led Zep in truth and hardly ever listen to Metal or Hard Rock.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12