Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive poll: Fiddledididdledeedee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: You have three votes (but not for your own)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.35%]
2 [8.70%]
4 [17.39%]
2 [8.70%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.35%]
2 [8.70%]
1 [4.35%]
1 [4.35%]
2 [8.70%]
2 [8.70%]
1 [4.35%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.35%]
3 [13.04%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interactive poll: Fiddledididdledeedee
    Posted: February 06 2024 at 17:56
Who's up for another interactive poll?

The theme here is the violin and similar instruments including string sections. 

You can propose tracks that you like (youtube videos or whatever works; play the music to use in any case), and that somehow fit the theme. In the beginning we're only collecting proposals (and comment on them as much as we like). At some point (maybe after two weeks or so) I'll ask everyone to nominate one of their proposals for the final poll, which can then be started (we can have two proposals per participant if there are ten or fewer). There you have three votes, but don't vote for your own proposals.

The idea is to make things known to each other that are not so well known, so the rule is either to pick something that is not listed on PA, or something from an album that has at lost 50 ratings on PA (it shouldn't be on any album that has more). Classical is also fine.

I hope that's clear enough!?

So who wants to play? Smile

Now that the poll is open you have three votes, and don't vote for your own!

Playlist of the suggestions:

Edited by Lewian - February 19 2024 at 15:58
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2024 at 18:01
As a first example I'm very happy I found some tracks on soundcloud from a German band I have seen around 1990 who did music inspired by Irish folk. I still have their two albums and love them. Unfortunately they are no longer active, in fact for a long time. And nothing available on yt, but that's life. (In fact I'm happy to listen somewhere else for once, their new  adblocker policy is very annoying.) 

Limerick Junction - Shadowy Waters/The Winding Stairs
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2024 at 18:06
I'll play as long as there is no violince.

A Winged Victory for the Sullen - Steep Hills of Vicodin Tears

Edited by Logan - February 06 2024 at 18:57
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2024 at 18:08
Violince is also fine as long as it is played by the rules. Tongue
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2024 at 18:48
Greg, I got a video doesn't play message.

Is this the same? (Provided this plays for you.)

Well. It's apparently restricted, but link works. There were other videos.

Edited by mathman0806 - February 06 2024 at 18:50
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2024 at 18:54
^ I followed the link, it's the same music. Thanks for the video. As that is, unfortunately, age restricted, I will change mine and hopefully it will work in more regions.

Edited by Logan - February 06 2024 at 18:56
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2024 at 19:32
^The one you change to works for me.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2024 at 20:01
First suggestion. Written by JG Thirlwell and performed by the Mivos Quartet, the album Dystonia should have been on my top 40 list for 2023, but it wasn't on Awesome Prog until I added it, and then I forgot I added it when I did my last update.

The track here is Ozymandias.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2024 at 21:26
Unlike my last suggestion, this one in in PA, but the year 2000 album it is off, Alone, Alone only has one rating by someone I do not recognise the name of and no reviews.

Hungry Ghosts - Nothing Has to Happen

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2024 at 21:40
This was a particular favourite album of mine when when I was new to this site. It is included in RIO/Avant and has been in PA since I joined, and it still only has 14 ratings.

Volapük - Where Is Tamashii? (off the 2003 album of the same name)

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 01:13

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 03:30
Second suggestion. Nash the Slash was the original violinist for Canadian prog band FM. His solo work is as one-man band.

I wanted to post a live performance of Wolf but the only one I found has a second track. The first track "Wolf" is my suggestion with Nash the Slash on electric violin. The second track "In a Glass Eye" has Nash the Slash playing an electric mandolin. Both tracks are on his second solo album Children of the Night from 1981.

Nash the Slash - Wolf

Edited by mathman0806 - February 07 2024 at 03:36
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 03:54
Very nice! Keep them coming!

I started by listening to Cristi's classical pieces; happy to have something like this in an interactive poll again. Out of these two the Samuel Barber is my favourite, very moving. The Enescu one wrongfooted me a bit as this doesn't really fit my mood, but the more it goes on, the more I'm impressed by its fireworks character. Lots going on there.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 04:07
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Very nice! Keep them coming!

I started by listening to Cristi's classical pieces; happy to have something like this in an interactive poll again. Out of these two the Samuel Barber is my favourite, very moving. The Enescu one wrongfooted me a bit as this doesn't really fit my mood, but the more it goes on, the more I'm impressed by its fireworks character. Lots going on there.

Thank you for the kind words. Tongue
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 04:09
Nice indeed! Nice theme (last year I was thinking doing something around the cello...). 
I love that A Winged Victory for the Sullen album; could have been a suggestion of mine, but I'll have no troubles finding others.

For starters, a band I love and that get not much talked about here on PA, so I don't know to what extent their music is known (probably less than their name). Here with Sylvia Houtzager on violin (her name is quite appropriate for a violin player: it means "wood sawyer"...). I checked, the Live in Amsterdam album has only 18 ratings and it has a wonderful rendition of:

Flairck - Voorspel in Sofia (Preliminaries in Sofia):

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 04:53
You wanted violin, violin is what you get!

I think I used Steve Reich's Violin Phase in an earlier IA-poll; it would be a perfect fit here... So, something else. Recently I stumbled upon the work of violin player Laura Cannell thanks to a bandcamp suggestion. Very intriguing work, in my opinion. I'll put up two different pieces: a first one recorded in a shipping container, featuring Violin, Overbowed Violin and Voice, and the second one is a collaboration work with cello player Kate Ellis. They did a year long project of EPs (These Feral Lands 2021: A Year Documented in Sound & Art), one for each month, some pieces accompanied by a video work, and since it's February...

Laura Cannell - No Sound is Lost:

Laura Cannell & Kate Ellis - Follow Me to The Lantern Marsh (February Sounds):

Edited by suitkees - February 07 2024 at 04:57

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 12:07
Just listened to Christian's first mention and liked it very much. Had a perusal of some others -- music so sophisticated that I would feel underdressed in a mock vinyl kilt. Not sure why that came to mind as the theme is not bagpipes.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 15:43
Alejandro Matos - Verde por Dentro

Nick Drake - 'Çello Song
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 16:48
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Just listened to Christian's first mention and liked it very much. Had a perusal of some others -- music so sophisticated that I would feel underdressed in a mock vinyl kilt. Not sure why that came to mind as the theme is not bagpipes.
Yeah, I love the use of violin by Limerick Junction and I love this track, and I do realise that here over some distance the fiddle arguably plays second fiddle to the bagpipe. But then there's the second half. Big smile (In fact one could also argue that these are two tracks, evil me...)
I love the A Winged Victory... track by the way, very meditative.

Edited by Lewian - February 07 2024 at 16:53
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2024 at 23:22
Since Nick Drake was mentioned, I'll mention a favorite of mine 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>