Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive poll: Fiddledididdledeedee

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: You have three votes (but not for your own)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.35%]
2 [8.70%]
4 [17.39%]
2 [8.70%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.35%]
2 [8.70%]
1 [4.35%]
1 [4.35%]
2 [8.70%]
2 [8.70%]
1 [4.35%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.35%]
3 [13.04%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2024 at 04:53
For my nominations I go with my latter pair:
- We Like We - Anticipation
- Katrine Grarup Elbo - Interlunium

This came by on the radio the other day and it made me think of this poll. It is not particularly good, in my opinion, not even funny, but it is not terribly horrible either... is it?

Hayseed Dixie - The Final Countdown:

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2024 at 13:03
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

It's a fabulous playlist by the way. I'm very happy about the topic and all your contributions. Unfortunately I have so little time these days, so it's really hard to write something.

While reading people's impressions has been my favourite part of these, that can be very time-onerous. I found it really hard to write something that I think might have some value even when I have had the time and inclination. I really admire and appreciate people who have shared their insights and thoughts on the music during this long running series.

Thanks for doing this despite your lack of free time.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2024 at 17:29
As later in the week I may have no more time doing this, I put up the voting list now. Voting is in principle open (three votes everyone, and not for your own).

I have to admit that I did this a bit prematurely, as Mila has not written what they nominate. I would normally wait for this and I'm sorry that I didn't, but I wanted to have this off my to do list, so I just put up all three of your nominations and you can still me to strike one of them off (admittedly a bit unfair to the others but so is life). My favourites of yours are the second and third by the way, so Mine & Orchestra and Gang of Youths.

Also note that the Limerick Junction thing is not on youtube but can be heard on soundcloud linked in the second posting on p.1.

PS: New playlist of nominations posted in first posting.

Edited by Lewian - February 18 2024 at 17:44
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2024 at 01:26
^ Christian, I'm sorry, it's my fault! I had something come up yesterday and couldn't post my nominations on time. I have also to admit that, unexpectedly, I found it a bit difficult to find something suitable and was therfore somewhat undecided what to do.

My nominations: If possible, please replace the Masada String Trio piece with the one below (It's a bit more cheerful and shorter than the other one). As for my second nomination, I would like to stick with the Gang of Youths song because Mine's song is rather something for German-speakers imo. I may bring her on another occasion. Thanks in advance!

Here's an alternate, adapted playlist, just in case.

Edited by Mila-13 - February 19 2024 at 05:12
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2024 at 09:52
Thanks, updated!
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2024 at 12:02
^ Thank you, Christian! Could you also replace the Masada Trio song please (see above)?

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2024 at 15:59
Originally posted by Mila-13 Mila-13 wrote:

^ Thank you, Christian! Could you also replace the Masada Trio song please (see above)?

Done.
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2024 at 23:39
^ Thank you very much, Christian!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2024 at 12:57
Boy that Bonzai has Jon Anderson and Yes qualities. Nice.

I vote for

We Like We - Anticipation
Katrine Grarup Elbo - Interlunium
Gang of Youths - Achilles Come Down

My MVP is We Like We's "Anticipation". Really glad to have been exposed to it. Terrific.
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2024 at 03:15
^ Greg, I missed saying something about the the song by Gang of Youths. The French parts of the lyrics that can be heard throughout the song are excerpts from Albert Camus' philosophical essay "The Myth of Sisyphus" read by the author himself. I hesitated to share this song because it's a bit heavy stuff. I'm glad you still appreciated it.
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2024 at 02:57

Here are a few words about our line-up.

Cristi brings two classical pieces. Enescu’s Romanian Rhapsody is influenced by Romanian folk music which makes this suggestion very special for me, even though Barber’s piece was written specifically for strings and thus gets a little closer to the subject.

Kees, on the other hand, has opted for a more contemporary approach. The Danish group "We like We" expands their inspiration and influence from their classical roots to the world of electronic music. Furthermore, we have the solo project of the group’s violinist, which I experience as a type of artistic sound performance. I find both pieces interesting in their own way with a preference of the former being a more complete composition imo.

Greg adds with “A Winged Victory for the Sullen’s” ambient track in combination with strings a cinematic atmosphere which I myself strongly associate with string instruments. The instrumental by the Hong Kong indie-rockers "Hungry Ghosts" could easily be used in a film as well. Here I especially enjoy the interplay of violin with acoustic guitar and the dramatic build-up of the song.

George shows us the musical diversity of two violin based solo acts which, to some extent allows us to make a direct comparison. Catherine Graindorge has collaborated with various international artists, besides Iggy Pop, e.g. with Nick Cave and Warren Ellis on several of their soundtracks one of which I considered for this poll. It’s great to hear some of her solo work too. - I have heard of Nash the Slash before, but I am not familiar with his music really. I’d like to get to know more of his work. He was one of a kind for sure!

Christian chooses two acts that are inspired by folk music in different ways,  a music genre that inspired me as well. I’m aware of Iva Bittova. I know she has gained some international acclaim through her experimental work and international collaborations, i.a. with Bang on a Can and Fred Frith. I appreciate her instrumental technique but am less of a fan of her vocal skills. -  Limerick Junction gave me a pleasant surprise with their interpretation of Irish/Celtic music. Definitely one of the better foreign bands playing this style.

Pekka surprises us with a punk version of Finnish tango by the band CMX and a ballad by the Finnish singer-songwriter Dave Lindholm. I’m always open to new experiences and I find CMX’ reinterpretation of Finnish tango interesting but Dave won over my heart with his beautiful ballad, characterised by a well-balanced interplay of vocals, electric guitar, and strings.

Robert suggests another pairing of a rock and a singer-songwriter act, but this time we have an international selection: A prog band from Argentina with a rich instrumentation and an English singer-songwriter from the 1970s. Could Nick Drake be a direct competitor to Dave Lindholm? Let’s see . .

Marek’s Banzaïm from Belgium, reminiscent of prog greats such as Genesis and Yes provide a beautiful finale to our playlist.

And what about Mila’s choice? Well, she still cannot do without a few chords of jazz and can’t keep her hands off John Zorn, albeit this time in the a bit hidden form of a string trio . . LOL I'm not quite sure how to vote yet. Give me one more day pls.

Have a great weekend everyone! Smile

Edited by Mila-13 - February 25 2024 at 07:43
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2024 at 15:02
Thanks for the comments Mila!
I'm going to vote for some contemplative/meditative music this time. I have five candidates for the three votes, that's Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings, A Winged Victory for the Sullen - Steep Hills of Vicodin Tea, Catherine Graindorge - Lockdown, the Masada String Trio's Malkiel and Katrine Grarup Elbo - Interlunium. I also love the Nick Drake track but knew it already. CMX have a great track there but the vocals aren't quite up with the instrumental brilliance. I also like the Nash the Slash show and some others, but only three votes I'm afraid.

I thought first to not vote for Katrine Grarup Elbo as she's the only one from my list that already has a vote, but I realise that this is the number one choice for me anyway. It's hard to pick two out of the other four but I'll go for Catherine Graindorge and Samuel Barber. Could be different on another day but so it is now. 

I should also say that there are some monster tracks in the suggestions but not finally nominated, so thanks again for all your contributions!

Edited by Lewian - February 26 2024 at 15:03
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2024 at 02:18
My votes will go to:

Dave Lindholm.

I particularly associate the sound of string instruments with emotions. This is a beautiful and emotional ballad, characterised by a well-balanced interplay of vocals, electric guitar, and strings. Moreover, I really appreciate it when someone introduces artists from his home country!

Nash the Slash.

Apart from his eccentric appearance, he was above all an outstanding and innovative musician. Since I am not familiar with much of his music, I’m curious to explore more of his work!

As for my third vote, I am quite torn between the classical music and film music-like pieces and those inspired by folk music. I strongly associate both with string instruments. Moreover, I am also very interested in contemporary and experimental music. To some extent, Limerick Junction combine some of these musical influences by their modern interpretation of Irish/Celtic music and they do it very well imo. I know, my point of view is not quite comprehensible, but we have unfortunately only three votes, so I decided also out of my current mood.

Therefore, my third vote will go to:

Limerick Junction.

Thank you all for your great contributions and thank you for hosting, Christian! Clap

Edited by Mila-13 - February 27 2024 at 02:48
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2024 at 05:34
My votes in order as the tracks are on the playlist: 

Catherine Graindorge - Lockdown / the video definitely added to the experience, it was good to see how she built the track.

Nick Drake - 'Cello Song / an old favourite. 

Masada String Trio - Malkiel / John Zorn is very much hit and miss for me, but this is easily some of his better stuff to my taste. 

Honorable mentions to Gang of Youths and Samuel Barber. 

Glad to hear people's thoughts on CMX, especially as the song is an anomaly and a curiosity in their catalogue. 
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2024 at 04:10
As said earlier, there were many interesting pieces of music to listen to in this playlist, but my personal preferences are more leaning towards the experimental/avant-garde/contemporary pieces. So my votes go to:
- Catherine Graindorge
- Iva Bittova with Bang on a Can All Stars
- Masada String Trio
Although the third spot was almost taken by the beautiful contemplative, melancholic piece by Hungry Ghost or by A Winged Victory for the Sullen, but I know the latter and have their excellent album it is off.

Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2024 at 04:00
^ Kees, I also tend to favour conteporary music including experimental stuff. But I foud it difficult to find something suitable, with regard to this topic. The violin is a wondeful instrument but I still think that it sounds at its best in its traditional music genres such as classical or orchestral film music, folk music, chamber pop etc. Moreover, the violin in particular is an instrument through which emotions are transported. This aspect is often missing in the field of experimental and avant-garde music which tends to have a more intellectual approach and is sometimes a bit of a challenge to listen to tbh. lol

Edited by Mila-13 - March 04 2024 at 05:21
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2024 at 10:10
^ Well, yes undoubtedly, but this mainly - I think - shows that music can be appreciated in different ways: by the heart, by the mind, by the feet... (but you do know by now that I don't like dance music Tongue), and probably through other means/ways of appreciation. Many are looking for melody, harmony or those kind of musical attributes (like "complexity" for us prog fans) that have dominated - Western  - musical conventions and that have formed/determined our aural and cultural experience.
Personally, I like as well music that goes to the heart, plays with our emotions, as music that fascinates me for other reasons: the way it generates/organises sounds, uses - traditional - instruments to create something that goes beyond the conventions of music in order to explore sonic palettes and adventures... I'd prefer the notion of  "conceptual"  instead of "intellectual" (which sounds pretentious...), but it is indeed a different way of appreciating music (or "sonic experiences", if you prefer...).

Edited by suitkees - March 05 2024 at 10:52

Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2024 at 01:18
^ How about opening a new thread focusing on avant-garde and experimental music? Or does something like that already exist in the PA-forum? Otherwise, an IA-poll might serve as a first step.  I'm interested in very different styles of music, both in terms of genre and cultural origin.

Edited by Mila-13 - March 09 2024 at 06:15
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2024 at 12:57
I'd be in, unsurprisingly. Cool
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2024 at 00:57
^I don't know what you guys are exactly up to? Personally, I'm interested in the more contemporary period, let's say postmodern era onwards. But above all, I would like to discover new artists and avoid long-standing names. The terminology in this field can be very tricky. Firstly, we need a short and concise description of the topic and secondly a suitable title for the topic. I'd be glad if Kees could step in.

Edited by Mila-13 - March 10 2024 at 01:00
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>