Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Proggiest Eurovision Song

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
greenmoustaches View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenmoustaches Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proggiest Eurovision Song
    Posted: May 10 2024 at 00:32
There have been quite a few eurovision songs, and they often have multiple sections and unique instrumentations, but what would the proggiest of them all be? Looking forward to all of your answers
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2024 at 01:38
The proggiest song, in my opinion, is "Ramonda" by Teya Dora. This Serbian singer, who graduated from the Berklee College of Music in Boston and who, according to Wikipedia, received her diploma during the ceremony from Jimmy Page, gave an enthralling and emotionally charged performance that may be summed up as a wonderful event that emphasised her talent, creativity, and passion for music. "Ramonda" sounds proggy to me in addition to being intriguing and motivating.

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2024 at 13:35
I haven't wasted any time on it. I happened to hear two half songs while zapping and it has been more than enough. I don't even know which nation they were from. 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
fredyair View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredyair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2024 at 14:41
It's a nice ballad, beyond the lenguage barrier, I don't find it innovative or experimental and/or proggy in any way. Nice pop song though.
Long live Progresive music!
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2024 at 04:26
Originally posted by fredyair fredyair wrote:

It's a nice ballad, beyond the lenguage barrier, I don't find it innovative or experimental and/or proggy in any way. Nice pop song though.
Well, based on the characteristics associated with progressive pop music, "Ramonda" by Teya Dora can indeed be considered a representative of the progressive pop genre in this year's Eurosong contest.
I mean, in the context of music genres, progressive pop is a subgenre that blends elements of traditional pop music with innovative and experimental approaches. It often incorporates complex song structures, unconventional time signatures, and diverse instrumentation beyond typical pop conventions. Teya Dora's "Ramonda" exhibits characteristics of progressive pop through its unique sound, unconventional arrangements, and experimental production techniques. The song may feature intricate melodies, non-traditional chord progressions, or unexpected shifts in tempo or style that align with the progressive nature of the genre.
Progressive pop aims to push boundaries and challenge traditional norms within the pop music landscape. Artists within this genre often strive to create music that is both commercially appealing and artistically ambitious, combining accessibility with creativity. 
"Ramonda" by Teya Dora likely showcases these qualities through its innovative approach to songwriting, production, and performance that sets it apart from conventional pop songs.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2024 at 10:22
This is the one I have heard that I most related to music under the Prog umbrella.

The Shin & Mariko - Three Minutes To Earth (Georgia) 2014 Eurovision Song Contest

Edited by Logan - May 11 2024 at 10:23
Junges View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Junges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2024 at 12:00
If there is one way of looking for prog in the wrong place, that would be it.
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2024 at 23:42
idk I found Unicorn by Noa Kirel last year to have some pretty progressive moments in the final third of the song.

Greece's entry this year was fairly progressive as well.

Edited by bardberic - May 12 2024 at 23:43
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2024 at 00:17
Originally posted by Junges Junges wrote:

If there is one way of looking for prog in the wrong place, that would be it.

LOL
It's funny because it's true. LOL
creganstark View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote creganstark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2024 at 04:37
What about Baby Lasanga song?
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2024 at 05:12
Originally posted by creganstark creganstark wrote:

What about Baby Lasanga song?
The Croatian entry, an overrated Eurotrash song, might be plagiarism because it sounds so much like a song entitled "Party in My Head" by the popular Swedish band Pain. You may see and hear for yourself that the choruses are too similar. Specifically, the chorus begins at 00:57, and it is evident that the preceding eight bars are nearly identical. This indeed could be construed as plagiarism, particularly in light of the same tempo, tone, and 'party' nature of both songs. It's sad because Croatia actually has a great tradition of popular music of all genres. There are plenty of talented composers in Croatia, and the Croatian artists really don't need to rip off anything.

Edited by Moyan - May 16 2024 at 05:17
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2024 at 05:44
By the way, the Irish entry was splendid this year. Bambie Thug's "Doomsday Blue" is a genre-defying track that combines elements of electro-metal breakdown with alternative rock, pop, jazz, and soulful music styles. It stands out for its innovative music style, thought-provoking lyrics, and visually striking performance, all of which contribute to its unique artistic expression.

UnderGround View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UnderGround Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2024 at 15:00
Originally posted by bardberic bardberic wrote:

idk I found Unicorn by Noa Kirel last year to have some pretty progressive moments in the final third of the song.

The Greek song was rubbish...
I am Greek...
https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com/album/zantea-chronicles-the-dream-dominator
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2024 at 03:29
Originally posted by UnderGround UnderGround wrote:

Originally posted by bardberic bardberic wrote:

The Greek song was rubbish...
I am Greek...

I agree as a Turk. Tongue

BTW, I like Greek culture and I have a very good Greek friend.

Su perhaps my "Turkishdom" is insignificant here.

My favourite off the Eurovision 2024 was Austria. And they could only beat 1 (one) country out of the 24. LOL

"Crown the Witch" was very interesting. And I'm a metal head. Normally one would expect it to be my favourite. Yet, it somehow didn't click with me.

Last year... My favourite was Australia. Voyager had already been one of my favourite bands. So, no surprises here.

Edited by Archisorcerus - May 19 2024 at 03:33
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2024 at 05:37
I browsed quickly through most of the competing songs in this Eurovision Scream Contest and listened to five or six in full. In my opinion, the best scream (a real and intended one, not one that pretends it should still be called "singing") and the most creative song - and the only original, actually - was Ireland's Doomsday Blue by Bambie Thug. The rest was the formulaic pop drivel that will never be remembered by anyone...

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2024 at 08:52

then there was some Baltic state's song with verses in 5/4 and choruses in 4/4

and of course:

Post Reply Post Reply