Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Multi-Channel formats

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atomicthunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Multi-Channel formats
    Posted: May 01 2024 at 23:55
Can anyone recommend prog albums that are in an  DVD-A, SACD, Dolby Atmos or other multi-channel formats.

Edited by Atomicthunk - May 01 2024 at 23:57
rdtprog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Heavy, RPI, Symph, JR/F Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdtprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2024 at 01:19
Don't want to promote another forum website, but this is the most complete forum and database on the subject not only Prog:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/TabbedPollChart.htm

My recommendation are all the discography of Genesis, Porcupine Tree, some Yes, Robert Reed, Magenta, Marillion, Gentle Giant etc.

Edited by rdtprog - May 02 2024 at 01:24
Music is the refuge of souls ulcerated by happiness.

Emile M. Cioran

RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2024 at 20:37
The Steven Wilson 5.1 remixes of Yes, Jethro Tull, KC, and Gentle Giant are absolutely spectacular. The clarity and tonal balance is something to behold.

The Genesis box sets have 5.1 mixes that improve on the originals, but there is a harshness for some reason. Both Dolby and DTS mixes are on the discs, and on some albums I find the Dolby better and on others the DTS is smoother.

Wakeman’s Sixwives is available on DVD, and it’s apparently the same mix used on the old Quadrophonic LP release. The DVD version is worth the investment.

The Pink Floyd Immersion discs are good, but not great-I expected better. The Endless River, however, is sublime if you have a 2700 watt sub.

The Beatles 5.1 mixes are very good, and they did an absolute bang-up job with Sgt. Pepper.

The 5.1 mix of PT’s Lightbulb Sun is great.

I’m a sucker for concert blu-rays, and there are lots of good ones. Ayreon’s Electric Castle and Human Equation videos are special, and Hackett’s 40th anniversary Hammersmith concert is my favorite.

I have a lot of newer releases that have come out in Atmos through Apple Music but I haven’t been impressed at all playing them through AppleTV. I’m about to replace my now ancient Mac Mini HTPC with an M2 model that can deliver Atmos. That hopefully will do the trick on my 5.1 system. I’m not newfangled enough to have upgraded my amp and speakers to 7.1.

Edited by RockHound - May 10 2024 at 20:52
 Post Reply Post Reply