Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chick Corea Memorium Poll #2: Earlier Works

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which album stands out to you the most?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
4 [44.44%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [11.11%]
1 [11.11%]
2 [22.22%]
1 [11.11%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chick Corea Memorium Poll #2: Earlier Works
    Posted: February 15 2021 at 13:32
A very interesting time for Chick (as most times were). He had already clocked in time with Miles, and was exploring new horizons in Jazz. You can hear the raw experimentalism these cats were going for. They were reaching towards sounds just being discovered at this time in music history. These efforts often drifted into the realm of Free Jazz, particularly with the Quartet Circle, and the follow-up recordings The Song of Singing and A.R.C., which consisted of three-quarters of the same line-up as the aforementioned group (minus reed man Anthony Braxton).

Enjoy these musical explorations.

Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2021 at 13:42

Contains Is and Sundance

These are some videos I could find.

Edited by Awesoreno - February 15 2021 at 13:43
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2021 at 13:49
One of Circle's albums. 

I'll go with the second, but both are top notch in my mind
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2021 at 18:52
I really like them all, but if I'm to choose one, I'll pick Now He Sings, Now He sobs,
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2021 at 21:16
^That one seems to be very highly regarded among jazzers. It was definitely a high-profile release at the time. I don't think many other artists had produced much like it in 1968.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2021 at 22:14
Those are all good albums. I prefer Chick's pre-scientology piano playing. He said he changed his playing style after he got with scientology, I can easily hear the difference.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2021 at 13:43
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Those are all good albums. I prefer Chick's pre-scientology piano playing. He said he changed his playing style after he got with scientology, I can easily hear the difference.

Interesting! Do you have a link to any interview (preferably video) or article where he elaborates? 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2021 at 13:45
Now He Sings, Now He Sobs
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2021 at 14:05
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Interesting! Do you have a link to any interview (preferably video) or article where he elaborates? 
No I don't. It was a magazine article I read long ago, possibly Keyboard Player magazine.
As I remember, he wanted his playing to have broader appeal, so he toned things down a bit. I really prefer his younger style, and I can definitely hear a big difference. His earlier playing had a lot of Afro-Cuban stuff to it, such as Eddie Palmieri. He was also more dissonant and aggressive.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2021 at 16:04
I used to read Keyboard that every month! I stopped buying it many years ago. I missed that interview.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2021 at 23:14

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

No I don't. It was a magazine article I read long ago, possibly Keyboard Player magazine.
As I remember, he wanted his playing to have broader appeal, so he toned things down a bit. I really prefer his younger style, and I can definitely hear a big difference. His earlier playing had a lot of Afro-Cuban stuff to it, such as Eddie Palmieri. He was also more dissonant and aggressive.

I've found that aggressive stuff coming up a lot in his solo piano and duet piano works. Such as on CoreaHancock.
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2021 at 23:57
Circling In is a very nice summary of the musical directions he was pursuing at the time. It's a shame that one's never been reissued
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2021 at 02:54
Now He Sings, Now He Sobs
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2024 at 02:13
First vote for "Sundance."
 Post Reply Post Reply