Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Iron Butterfly

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Iron Butterfly
    Posted: December 29 2023 at 21:52
They have other things beyond In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida LOL

I recently purchased a copy of that album, it's an original US pressing I believe. It's very grainy, but it sounds better that way for some reason Confused.  

I'm working my way through their discography right now, actually. They've only got 6 albums, and they're all under 40min, so it won't take too long. 

Thoughts on the band and/or individual songs?
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2023 at 02:54
The debut is the one I prefer
But everything you find in IAGDV (the sidelong track) is already in the IB Theme closing that first album
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2023 at 04:04
Iron Butterfly: Then & Now

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 30 2023 at 11:34
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2023 at 05:40
I bought this 5 album box set a few years ago for £10.00 in HMV.

The only album I had by them was In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. Smile

Amazon.com: Original Album Series: CDs & Vinyl

Edited by Octopus II - December 30 2023 at 05:41
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2023 at 05:43
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

But everything you find in IAGDV (the sidelong track) is already in the IB Theme closing that first album
I'm not the biggest fan of IAGDV (the track). Mostly because the vocalist sound like a drunk Eddie Vedder. But the Iron Butterfly Theme is so incredible it deserves a video:

Edited by Saperlipopette! - December 30 2023 at 05:57
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2023 at 06:03
This song from their third album is very nice

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2023 at 06:07
Originally posted by Octopus II Octopus II wrote:

I bought this 5 album box set a few years ago for £10.00 in HMV.

The only album I had by them was In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. Smile

Same here. I also bought that same Iron Butterfly box set from FOPP (which was owned by HMV) for £10, when before that, the only Iron Butterfly album I owned was In-a-Gadda-da-Vida, bought from Amoeba Records on Hollywood Boulevard in Los Angeles. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 30 2023 at 06:10
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2023 at 07:05

I'm fond of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, mostly thanks to the side-long title track.
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2023 at 10:54
I've been having a Ball listening to the Heavy Psych of Iron Butterfly again. Smile

3 stars 1975: Iron Butterfly - Scorching Beauty - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMIWbmTS4Qw
 3 stars 1975: Iron Butterfly - Sun and Steel - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCJ-sOBGagg
 5 stars 1993: Iron Butterfly - Light & Heavy: The Best of Iron Butterfly - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_nK3UjDFfbZJ6qL1CUM3AEb7S8ZxgSJTYE
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2023 at 11:06
I saw them live in the spring of 1982 at Barrymore's Music Hall in Ottawa; they did the title track to In-a-gadda-da-vita as an encore; I remember a band member saying to us at one point, "We don't do "Flowers and Beads" anymore", referring to the song of the same name.
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2024 at 18:55
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I'm not the biggest fan of IAGDV (the track). Mostly because the vocalist sound like a drunk Eddie Vedder. But the Iron Butterfly Theme is so incredible it deserves a video:

Not at all surprising considering it was a drunken phone call that resulted in the mangled title of the song.

I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2024 at 06:50

Forget Inna-da-gadda. The band's masterpiece was the Ball album. Ironically, most of the songs were written before the Inna-da-gadda album.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2024 at 16:27
They are all decent but I like Ball and Metamorphosis the best.....a little burnt out on In a Gadda da Vida.

Edited by dr wu23 - January 02 2024 at 16:29
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2024 at 20:16
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

It's just fantastic that your "now" is a quarter century old.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2024 at 03:20
^ Well, it made sense to me, when I'm forever Living in the Past, just like Jethro Tull. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2024 at 03:27
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

It's just fantastic that your "now" is a quarter century old.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2024 at 07:06
HI,

While I still have their first 2 albums, this is one band that "never grew up" and showed how good it was, and its problems with the line up changes, didn't help. 

In the end, it is sad to see a band that started out so well, fall apart and lose their strength and feel.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply