Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Blogging Platforms

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Blogging Platforms
    Posted: May 13 2024 at 15:29
So, I'm toying with the idea of starting a blog. It's not going to be a dedicated prog blog, though I may occasionally post something about prog. I'd like to write about a wide range of subjects just to share my thoughts with the wider world, maybe 2-4 posts a month. Topics might include how I built shelving in my garage, baseball card collecting, astronomy, dogs and dog shows, plants, history, genealogy, etc. Basically anything I can think of that I want to say something about. I imagine some posts will be brief, but I anticipate having some rather lengthy ones (like the average length of a non-fiction book chapter).

For those of you who make blogs (whether prog or not), which platform do you like the most? Any pros or cons? 

Do you recommend using the hosting service the blog is available on? Or would it be better to self-host it? I have my own domain name and I currently have a Joomla-designed website hosted by HostGator that I rarely update. I am familiar with HTML coding, but I would rather not have to do that. I just want to write stuff and not spend too much time on design. 

About the only media I anticipate loading are photos if necessary for the topic. If I need to post a video, I can embed a YouTube link (already have two YouTube channels of my own - one for my music and one for collecting baseball cards - so I know how this works)

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2024 at 00:22
I use Squarespace, which slightly restricts what you can do in terms of their design, but means you do not have to bother with all the code stuff, which would instantly lose me. I like its layout and it is user-friendly. I know others use Wordpress, but I don’t particularly like the layout.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2024 at 08:30
^Thanks Steve. I appreciate your taking the time to comment. Squarespace is in my list of possible candidates.
----------
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2024 at 09:13
Good luck getting this going. I'd like to see some of your baseball cards, I used to have a nice collection, 1950s to mid 70s.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2024 at 14:02
^Thanks. Those were some great years for collecting. I started in 1979 when I was 10 years old. I stopped collecting in 1991 due to college expenses, bought a few things in the mid-1990s, then took a hiatus.  I returned to the hobby in 2021, like a lot former collectors did during the pandemic and dug out all the boxes sitting in a spare bedroom closet. I don't have very many 1960s cards, even less from the 1950s, but mostly from the 1970s and 1980s, with scattered stuff between 1990 and 2021, and quite a bunch since 2022.

----------
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2024 at 06:31
Hi,

I'm thinking less of the "blogging" thing than I am with the podcasting idea. The advantage is that the blogging thing usually has a record of previous shows (Guy Guden's on Blogspot a good example) ... which can be nice and fun. But in terms of podcasting ... now it's different discussion, or is it not?

I haven't made any decisions either way, although a podcast like thing is more like me.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
creganstark View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote creganstark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2024 at 04:41
twitter, blogger or instagram 
 Post Reply Post Reply