Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Noise-cancelling wireless headphones

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2023 at 13:58
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

If someone thinks the "music" is better, then they don't understand.....The music will not be better, but for sure the sound of the music can be better (too subjective), I prefer that the sound of the music can be more engaging so I do BUY IT! SW is one of many who can manipulate a recording to be more engaging because the original mix engineer may have missed that mark.

Hi,

I'm not sure I like this statement. It's tough, and if you go back and watch the Tom Dowd special, and then the George Martin special (with him not the other crap'r!) ... you will know that people all along have been trying really hard to make anything sound better, and then Alan Parsons applied the general classic theory to Pink Floyd and everyone thought sliced bread was invented. It did sound great, but it had to do with the band's slower level of playing than any rock music out there ... it gave the engineer TIME to be able to make things sound better!

The engaging side of things is different. Something in my head set, including 4 different versions of something, which you can do with classical music and various conductors, and way better than 99% of rock bands out there, is a bit of an illusion, since ... if the music itself DOES NOT BRING YOU WITH IT, it will not matter how good or clever the engineer was with the piece!

You got to remember that. I think you are caught up in an imaginary view of the music displayed differently that you think defines the music and its own world ... but I sincerely doubt that any of this "manipulation" has anything to do with the source of the music itself ... and how it grabs you ... it doesn't matter if it is Strauss, Beethoven, Mozart, or SheepDipBand ... the music itself has to "have it" ... or it will sound like SW doing the recent PT album ... great mechanics in the recording ... lousy design and improvement for the music itself ... what is all this about? PT or SW? ... I think it came off as SW, not PT, and that is unfair to Richard and Gavin, who sounded very ordinary ... in fact the drumming sounded like it was mailed in! Gavin was way better with KC ... very poor in this album, and it suggests that the music itself was not that good or well defined and designed ... and SW tried to make it better, but the music did not come up with it.
You have to remember and understand the music that we hear is NOTHING like what was played in the studio during the recording. You have nothing to compare it to, you were not in the studio during the recording, you were not in the studio during the mixdown, nor were you in the studio during the mastering portion.....You and all of us only have what was released, that's the only music we know. You can't really believe that GMartin or AParsons had a version that was better but chose something different that ultimately was not the best, how on earth....??
We only have what was ultimately released, that's all. 

And what SW or Bernie Grundman, Kevin Gray and other current mastering engineers can do is simply remix the original recording to bring out more sounds that may be buried, and it's only opinion if that sounds better. But in a lot of cases it can make it more engaging to the original mix, is the "music" any better?? I argue no, it will never be better or worse, it is what it is because we don't have all the original studio recordings released to the public to compare to....Some box sets have alternate takes, and those tend to be very raw but it is rare those are the ones people prefer.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2023 at 21:02
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

And what SW or Bernie Grundman, Kevin Gray and other current mastering engineers can do is simply remix the original recording to bring out more sounds that may be buried, and it's only opinion if that sounds better. But in a lot of cases it can make it more engaging to the original mix, is the "music" any better?? I argue no, it will never be better or worse, it is what it is because we don't have all the original studio recordings released to the public to compare to....Some box sets have alternate takes, and those tend to be very raw but it is rare those are the ones people prefer.

Hi,

Not sure why you think that the "recording" of it is the thing. The point, in most recordings, is to get the best out of it all ... and this is fine with me ... I have no beef with that. What bothers me, is the earphone and mp3 generation thinking that the music is not as important as the mixing and the work the engineer did ... and this is the reason why I say ... the music has to have it! ... in which case it would not matter what SW, or anyone else did to it ... however, when you hear George Martin talk about many of his folks, there were moments when he decided on changes, because he thought it would bring things out better ... a classical music composer, does not have this as much, but it is possible that many helped ... and it stuck.

When looking at the music itself, rock music is a lousy comparison. If you listen to 4 different versions of The Rite of Spring, you will learn why real quick ... either the conductor or the direction for a recording engineer might have suggested something or other ... but the power, strength and beauty of the music? Right there ... it never left!

That is not to say that headphones are not worth it ... I just am not convinced that they are the "IT" when it comes to the music itself ... and no one here has the guts to go check out some classical music and how it is interpreted and done so they would have a much better feel, or thought, for what I am saying.

But, again, the music itself has to have it, though one has to give some folks a wee bit of credit for what they found and helped put together, and here Tom Dowd and George Martin were very important, but they were not the only ones ... and a redo, or a better headphone is not going to change the beauty of the music and how it was done. We don't even realize that Layla was a Tom Dowd discovery and he got both guys to improve it some ... to make one of the great famous songs come alive! Hearing on Tom's special and hands, it is spectacular, but it took his ears to hear it and make sure he taped it and then brought it to the guys!

Headphones at that point is not the issue ... the person finding the "real" music is, and that is what usually survives and is remembered the most.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
SchroederKr View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SchroederKr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2024 at 08:51
Pretty rough joke, to be honest. Not a fan of that. But seriously, I've been using Apple AirPods pro for a while, and they're known for their noise-canceling mode. I don't have anything to compare it to, and I'm really satisfied with the quality of the music I listen to. But what do you think, are AirPods suitable for creating music? I'm trying to figure out everything related to music creation, including reading a lot of articles on https://faqaudio.com/. There's a lot of info about various devices, musical instruments, but I didn't find something about headphones. So if you have a really cool recommendation, and you're a musician who creates music using different software and plugins, I'd appreciate the advice.

Edited by SchroederKr - May 17 2024 at 11:15
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2024 at 09:29
I bought some expensive noise-cancelling headphones for my wife last week.

They were a waste of money - I can still hear her. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12