Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Eloy or the Flower Kings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
30 [57.69%]
21 [40.38%]
1 [1.92%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2023 at 03:36
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

And I bet the last couple of Eloy albums are better than the last couple of Yes albums. Wink

Eloy: Visionary (2009) 3 Stars
Yes: Fly From Here (2011) 2 Stars

I've not ventured any further with either band, although I have to say Eloy's 'Reincarnation On Stage' is very good indeed....
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2024 at 22:27
Eloy by miles.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2024 at 16:29

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Eloy for sure but imo TFK are a great symph prog band. I actually prefer their more recent stuff (By Royal Decree and Banks Of Eden) over their late 90's early 00's stuff which is very inconsistent in my view.  Roine is incredibly talented. However there is only one Eloy, no one has replicated what they do at least nowhere near as good.

Pink Floyd? Wink

Ok, I guess maybe it's the other way around. LOL

Floyd are a definite influence on Eloy. Frank Bonnermann's guitar tone and style is very Gilmouresque to say the least and he did rip off the main refrain on SOYCD for Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes (plus the last song on Time To Turn is a blatant rip off of Wish You Were Here). However no pointing trying to compare good ole ploddy Nick Mason to a Jurgen Rosenthal or anything bass wise to the genius playing of Klaus Peter Matziol on the albums Ocean through to Time To Turn. Eloy were an incredible technical band, not everyone's taste I know but there are about 15 albums of Eloy I want to listen to compared to about 4 or 5 at a push for Floyd. That said I would still rate both bands in my all time fave 10 prog bands. Floyd were the classic quality over quantity band if ever there was.
charles_ryder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote charles_ryder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2024 at 13:06
They are just like an elephant and the little dog. Elephant is the Eloy. Imho.
om mani padme hum
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2024 at 13:24
Originally posted by charles_ryder charles_ryder wrote:

They are just like an elephant and the little dog. Elephant is the Eloy. Imho.

When I think of an elephant, I am more likely to think of The Flower Kings. :)

TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGazzardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2024 at 10:34
Voted for TFK. Honestly I'm pretty 'meh' on both bands. Eloy I tried a couple albums and don't remember a thing about what they sounded like - maybe I need to try a different one, but they made no impact.

TFK, I really really loved Space Revolver, which was my first album by them, I still listen to tracks from it today. I've tried a bunch of their other albums in the time since and most have at best one song that stands out to me while listening to the album, then fade from memory. There are some good songs I can still call to mind. "Serious Dreamers", "World of Adventure", 'Love is the only answer" ... ok, that's the whole list. Despite streaming every new album they release as it comes out. They're a fine band. But they just have so much output. I still wonder if I'll ever connect with anything they do as much as I did Space Revolver. Was that one just more to my tastes than the others? Or did I just listen to it in the short window where that type of music resonated with me?

tl;dr don't really love either band, but at least have some tuns I dig from TFK.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2024 at 13:18

Eloy for sure but imo TFK are a great symph prog band. I actually prefer their more recent stuff (By Royal Decree and Banks Of Eden) over their late 90's early 00's stuff which is very inconsistent in my view.  Roine is incredibly talented. However there is only one Eloy, no one has replicated what they do at least nowhere near as good.

Pink Floyd? Wink

Floyd are a definite influence on Eloy. Frank Bonnermann's guitar tone and style is very Gilmouresque to say the least and he did rip off the main refrain on SOYCD for Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes (plus the last song on Time To Turn is a blatant rip off of Wish You Were Here). However no pointing trying to compare good ole ploddy Nick Mason to a Jurgen Rosenthal or anything bass wise to the genius playing of Klaus Peter Matziol on the albums Ocean through to Time To Turn. Eloy were an incredible technical band, not everyone's taste I know but there are about 15 albums of Eloy I want to listen to compared to about 4 or 5 at a push for Floyd. That said I would still rate both bands in my all time fave 10 prog bands. Floyd were the classic quality over quantity band if ever there was.

I  never heard Time to Turn but as far as SC&ME goes I always thought early on in the album the bass sounded a lot like "Sheep." I never heard any similarities to WYWH but maybe I should listen more closely.

As an aside I'm guessing that those 4 or 5 PF albums for you are Meddle, DSOTM, WYWH, Animals and maybe (the fifth one) the Wall.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - May 13 2024 at 13:20
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2024 at 16:08

Pink Floyd? Wink

I  never heard Time to Turn but as far as SC&ME goes I always thought early on in the album the bass sounded a lot like "Sheep." I never heard any similarities to WYWH but maybe I should listen more closely.

As an aside I'm guessing that those 4 or 5 PF albums for you are Meddle, DSOTM, WYWH, Animals and maybe (the fifth one) the Wall.

SC&ME also brings a bit of ELP and Tangerine Dream into the equation. They never directly copy. Colours then starts with something that could be on an APP album. Very derivative band Eloy although I never minded that much obviously. 

Correct on tghe PF albums

1. Animals
2. WYWH
3. DSOTM
4. Meddle
5. The Wall
6. ???

no idea after my initial 5 picks. I don't own that many. I should perhaps try and listen to Atom Heart Mother and Obscured By Clouds more than I do (although I only own the latter of the 2)
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2024 at 16:27
^Atom Heart Mother is one of my favorites and is very underrated imo. OBC is ok but maybe best for later. I also suggest listening to their very first one called Piper At The Gates of Dawn. I guess it's easy to call it a psychedelic album but there's also a lot of hints as to what was to come as far as taking the music further and I have no problem calling it a psych influenced proto prog album although it's actually often considered to be possibly the first space rock album which is also quite possible.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2024 at 15:30
^ yep might give that a listen at some point.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234