Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

David Gilmour Announces New Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jude111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: David Gilmour Announces New Album
    Posted: April 24 2024 at 11:46

David Gilmour has announced the release of his first new album in nine years. Entitled Luck and Strange, it will be released on September 6th through Sony Music. The first track from the album, “The Piper’s Call,” will premiere on Thursday, April 25th.

The former Pink Floyd member recorded the nine-track LP over five months in Brighton and London with producer Charlie Andrew and a group of contributing musicians that included Guy Pratt and Tom Herbert on bass; Adam Betts, Steve Gadd, and Steve DiStanislao on drums; Rob Gentry and Roger Eno on keyboards; and string and choral arrangements by Will Gardner. The album’s title track also features late Pink Floyd keyboard player Richard Wright, recorded in 2007 during a jam in a barn at Gilmour’s house.

Luck and Strange was born out of global lockdown of 2020 and 2021, during which Gilmour and his family kept themselves entertained by performing together on livestreams. “It’s written from the point of view of being older; mortality is the constant,” Gilmour’s wife, Polly Sampson explained, with Gilmour adding, “We spent a load of time during and after lockdown talking about and thinking about those kind of things.”

CONTINUED

jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jude111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 11:53
According to the article, one of the tracks is a cover of Between Two Points by the Montgolfier Brothers. I never heard of it or them; curious, I checked it out, and I can totally hear Gilmour covering this to brilliant effect. Has a similar vibe to On an Island. Really looking forward to it!

Edited by jude111 - April 24 2024 at 11:54
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 11:56
Definitely hear before buy on this given the last one.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jude111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 12:03
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Definitely hear before buy on this given the last one.

Yeah, Rattle the Lock... ouch. I'm glad people love it. But it just wasn't for me.
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 12:35
It's going to be released on Roger's birthday.
The single will be uploaded on YouTube tomorrow. Hope it's good!
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
tdfloyd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2024 at 22:47
Hope he picks up the pace on a track or two. Maybe let Steve Gadd work some of his magic
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2024 at 07:43
I already pre-ordered the record, I'm glad he is doing music that he seems to really enjoy. For sure it's not PF'ish material, we have enough of that to enjoy. And thank GOD it's not some reissue of a PF album ala RWaters DSOtM mess and waste of time.

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2024 at 00:28
I just don't like Gilmour's songwriting ... at all. Toothless, meaningless meandering. I did not care much for RW's DSOTM Redux either, but I love the videos he produced during the pandemic. The whole band was on point, the videos had a point, and they rocked. Gilmour does not.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2024 at 00:50
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

I just don't like Gilmour's songwriting ... at all. Toothless, meaningless meandering. I did not care much for RW's DSOTM Redux either, but I love the videos he produced during the pandemic. The whole band was on point, the videos had a point, and they rocked. Gilmour does not.

So what was the point of RW's pandemic videos?! Confused How did they rock?! LOL

Meaningless meandering?! Really?! How?!

If you dislike Gilmour, that's fine, but that was harsh...

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2024 at 15:16
^ I think the release will be that bad, unfortunately. I really love everything DG has contributed to PF, including AMLoR and large parts of Division Bell. But somehow he is completely unable to come up with interesting music on his own.

I'm not going to post any of RWs videos here, but you're welcome to watch them yourself. Mother, Two Suns and especially Bravery. They're slow, they're quite "redux", but the whole band is laser-focused.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2024 at 22:56
Yep Gilmour is one of the greatest guitarists ever (IMO) but as an artist largely sucks. I did listen to Rattle that Lock and owned a copy but it's not very interesting and this will be a hard pass. There are so many better things to invest in rather than lining the pockets further of a mega rich rock star who has done little of note since the seventies. Waters and Gilmour are about as clear a case of 2 guys that desperately need each other, but tragically can't get along, as there has even been in music (Lennon/McCartney being the other obvious example back in the day although they didn't suck solo)

Edited by richardh - May 16 2024 at 22:57
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 00:18
Maybe, but generating original music that has any merit at all is not only incredibly difficult, it is a virtue.   You have to create the stuff basically from whole cloth and hope you come up with even a few good cuts.   When you compare Gilmour's total solo work with, say, Clapton, Jeff Beck (who made maybe two or three really good records), or Jimmy "I could only make one solo album and it wasn't that great" Page, you see the talent and effort more clearly.   Takes guts, and a lot of hard work.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 01:06

^ I think the release will be that bad, unfortunately. I really love everything DG has contributed to PF, including AMLoR and large parts of Division Bell. But somehow he is completely unable to come up with interesting music on his own.

That's just your opinion. I don't know if you listened to his first two albums, I think those two are his best, especially his debut album from 1978. I find both more enjoyable than what Waters did on his own. Amused to Death only comes close. 
And if I was to compare PF musicians solo works, my favorites are Wright's two albums. 

I bought Gilmour's last album when it came out, surprisingly good, I thought it was better (more interesting song-writing) than On An Island. 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 01:10

I'm not going to post any of RWs videos here, but you're welcome to watch them yourself. Mother, Two Suns and especially Bravery. They're slow, they're quite "redux", but the whole band is laser-focused.

I have obviously listened to those pandemic Waters videos, how would it make sense of me disagreeing with you if I hadn't. LOL They didn't do anything for me. And I think the re-working of Bravery was the least interesting... 

I'll see myself out...

Edited by Cristi - May 17 2024 at 01:17
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 01:12
^ It's perfectly fine for people to have differing opinions ... it seems like nowadays the reverse is expected. Hopefully we can reverse that trend ...
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 01:16
David Gilmour's long-awaited new album is definitely an album I would buy without needing to hear it first, bearing in mind all of his previous albums are 5-star masterpieces. Smile

5 stars 1984: David Gilmour - Live at the Hammersmith Odeon - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ud-0N4MxkEI&t=801s
 4 stars 2002: David Gilmour - In Concert - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hrd5Ek54VA
 5 stars 2007: David Gilmour - Remember That Night - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOjbGxMrwuU
 5 stars 2008: David Gilmour - Live in Gdansk - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkQp5L4h1Vg
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 01:39
^ If all of those are five star releases, how many stars are releases like DSOTM? 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 02:07

^ If all of those are five star releases, how many stars are releases like DSOTM? 

I was just trying to strike a balance against some of the negativity regarding any new solo album release by ex-members of Pink Floyd. Obviously, none of them can compete with Dark Side of the Moon, but I prefer all of David Gilmour's solo albums over Wish You Were Here. Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 02:33
^ I try to abstain from retaliatory voting, it's considered abuse (manipulation) on most platforms. Are these solo releases as good as the others in your opinion? If not then IMO you *should* rate them lower, *if* you want your ratings to be useful to other people. 

Personally I haven't heard many solo releases by PF members other than RW and DG, but what I've heard does not come anywhere near the PF masterpieces.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 02:46

^ I try to abstain from retaliatory voting, it's considered abuse (manipulation) on most platforms. Are these solo releases as good as the others in your opinion? If not then IMO you *should* rate them lower, *if* you want your ratings to be useful to other people. 

Personally I haven't heard many solo releases by PF members other than RW and DG, but what I've heard does not come anywhere near the PF masterpieces.
It's hardly retaliatory voting, bearing in mind I rated all of David Gilmour's albums about four years ago. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>