Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog News, Press Releases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

David Gilmour Announces New Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 02:50
For me, both 'On An Island' & 'Rattle That Lock' are fairly solid yet mellow 3 star offerings, which I enjoy giving an occasional spin. I'll certainly give his new one a listen when it comes out, but I'm in two minds about buying it.

Personally, I prefer his output to Waters' but am quite aware this isn't everyone's opinion..  Smile
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 03:02
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ I try to abstain from retaliatory voting, it's considered abuse (manipulation) on most platforms. Are these solo releases as good as the others in your opinion? If not then IMO you *should* rate them lower, *if* you want your ratings to be useful to other people. 

Personally I haven't heard many solo releases by PF members other than RW and DG, but what I've heard does not come anywhere near the PF masterpieces.
It's hardly retaliatory voting, bearing in mind I rated all of David Gilmour's albums about four years ago. Smile

Maybe you had the same idea in mind back then? To rate them a little higher than you would if everyone else rated them "properly"?
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 05:32
Better to just ignore Psychos ratings, they're meaningless.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 08:06
^ Yeah, just ignore them. Everyone else does. Tongue
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 08:08
^ I'm not ignoring them, I'm just taking them with a truckload of salt. LOL
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 08:25

Whenever I feel the urge to read something sensational, I take a look thru some of Paul's album ratings.

I think my favourite run of his remains VDGG: Least We Can Do 5/5, H to He 5/5, Pawn Hearts 2/5  LOL 
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 08:52
I've listened to the official video of "The Piper's Call" from Gilmour's new album. Not bad for new music from a 78 year-old. Actually quite good. Nice chunky lead as an outro. Nice build throughout the composition. Far better than that miserable and embarrassing remake of DSotM by Waters.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2024 at 07:47
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Better to just ignore Psychos ratings, they're meaningless.

Actually i don't believe anyone has listened to all the albums they rate when they make ridiculously long lists especially when the ratings show no tangible indication that the listener has a clue of the quality contained within. That's why i only post reviews with ratings to prove that my rating is based on deep dive research and a passion for understanding where the music is coming from. I've seen lists on RYM of over 140,000 ratings. I think some people just like to push on stars. Reminds them of grade school :D

(function(){if (!document.body) return;var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'885c48e36debfa4a',t:'MTcxNjAzOTg5NS43MTUwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: medium none; visibility: ;" width="1" height="1">

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2024 at 08:08
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

Whenever I feel the urge to read something sensational, I take a look thru some of Paul's album ratings.

I think my favourite run of his remains VDGG: Least We Can Do 5/5, H to He 5/5, Pawn Hearts 2/5  LOL 
The least I could do was buy both of the VDGG albums I rated 5 stars, but I wouldn't listen to Pawn Hearts again even if it was given away for free. Smile

The same goes for David Gilmour too - I've bought all of his 5-star albums so far, which makes six in total. Smile
altered_beast View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote altered_beast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2024 at 19:33
On an Island was my the album my wife gave me when we were dating. And I couldn’t have married better. Anyway I loved the album from the first listen. It was like Obscured by Clouds part 2.
Yes the weakest Pink Floyd album of the 70’s but a personal favorite nevertheless. The style and sound took a right back to the early 70’s pre-Dark Side era. I think of it much the same way as I think of Soft Rock albums with Prog in it such as Time Passages, One-Eighty, Turn of a Friendly Card, Year of the Cat, Eye in the Sky, etc.

When Rattle that Lock was announced I had the deluxe version on pre-order. Disappointed when it came out. Never really grew on me either. I find it catchy and likable but I don’t love the album.

Wasn’t impressed by any of the lockdown material. Gilmours voice was declining fast on Rattle that Lock and at this point is difficult for me to listen to. The new single released under the name Pink Floyd was a complete disaster and a joke. An insult to fans might be stretching it but I found it disgusting. To use the name Pink Floyd for it was embarrassing.

I’m tired of the Gilmour and Waters feud. All the politics and bull 💩 and Polly Sampson goodness gracious. When are they going to stop acting like idiots and stop treating the fans like garbage. Really I was fed up with it decades ago. Now it looks like this will continue until one of them dies of a heart attack.

The first couple albums by Gilmour I always felt were below average although the debut has its stronger moments. I really hope the new release is good and not another slap in the face to fans like the fake Pink Floyd release.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2024 at 21:38
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I've listened to the official video of "The Piper's Call" from Gilmour's new album. Not bad for new music from a 78 year-old. Actually quite good. Nice chunky lead as an outro. Nice build throughout the composition. Far better than that miserable and embarrassing remake of DSotM by Waters.

I agree......I think the song is pretty good. Don't get the hate for Gilmour as a solo artist, what he has released is pretty good to very good, nothing masterful but I am sure he does not care about that at this point.
Just glad one of the greatest rock/prog guitarist is still making music.

What's a Waters?? Wacko
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2024 at 00:46
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

The least I could do was buy both of the VDGG albums I rated 5 stars, but I wouldn't listen to Pawn Hearts again even if it was given away for free. Smile

The same goes for David Gilmour too - I've bought all of his 5-star albums so far, which makes six in total. Smile

I think it is this tendency to inflate the ratings of artists you really like which makes it difficult for you to do polls like this one.
https://awesomeprog.com/release-polls/pa/pink-floyd-and-related

You're welcome to create an account and try to rate all the releases into tiers. Or do it on paper if you must, but it's a good exercise to practice your skill to remain objective. In software development (my profession of choice) we do that all the time in a procedure called "magic estimation", where instead of coming up with a forecast of how long a task is going to take to implement, we just compare all the tasks to one another and rank them from "small" to "big". 

Tiering releases follows the same principle. Easiest to start from the top - put your absolute favorite releases of all time in the S tier, then all the others that you really love in the A tier, then the remaining great releases in the B tier and so on.

If 90% of the releases you like end up in the S tier, then you might have an emotional problem, maybe a reluctance to say anything negative about your favorite artists.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2024 at 00:51
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I agree......I think the song is pretty good. Don't get the hate for Gilmour as a solo artist, what he has released is pretty good to very good, nothing masterful but I am sure he does not care about that at this point.
Just glad one of the greatest rock/prog guitarist is still making music.

What's a Waters?? Wacko

I don't particularly like Gilmour as a person, based on the things he's been saying over the years. But that has little to do with the music. There are artists which I dislike more but I still appreciate the great music they've released.  I just think that his solo releases are average, with some bright moments (reminding of Pink Floyd in style), but they pale in comparison to most PF releases. As do RW's solo albums, but I prefer them over DG because they are more focused and daring, as compared to the meandering non-relevance of DGs esoteric musings.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 hours 44 minutes ago at 07:30
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Actually i don't believe anyone has listened to all the albums they rate when they make ridiculously long lists especially when the ratings show no tangible indication that the listener has a clue of the quality contained within. That's why i only post reviews with ratings to prove that my rating is based on deep dive research and a passion for understanding where the music is coming from. I've seen lists on RYM of over 140,000 ratings. I think some people just like to push on stars. Reminds them of grade school :D
Hi,

I'll second this. I also only do reviews of albums that drive my imagination to smithereens ... but it bothers me to see ratings based on incomplete listening ... and at least one list ... it's a physical impossibility to listen to all that stuff in full ... and then write a small blurb on it ... seems to me that if a full listen was done, the likelihood was that there would be more to say.

Weed out the "raters" ... and the fake numbers!

I'm not impressed with DG's effort ... it sounds like a rehash, and not anything new ... and it still holds the idea that lyrics are important, and he has to say something!

There is far better materials out there in the progressive listings ... far better!

Edited by moshkito - 21 hours 44 minutes ago at 07:30
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 hours 18 minutes ago at 09:56
^ Are you referring to me? I favor blurbs. I usually write them immediately after having listened to a release (in full). They are short but concise.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 hours 38 minutes ago at 18:36

^ Are you referring to me? I favor blurbs. I usually write them immediately after having listened to a release (in full). They are short but concise.

Hi,

Not intended to be about anyone in specific ... it only bothers me, at times, when it seems like the totality of it all does not seem to be quite clear. Your numbers, and comments are consistent enough for me to say anything without showing it as incorrect or out of line. Your comments are fine, though I think that you listen a bit too much to "rock" and not enough to the rest of the materials to appreciate them better ... but I think it will come in time for you ... and this happens to me a lot, and has been the major learning about music for 50 years ... what turns you on at 20 is not the same at 30, or 40, or 50. 

As an example, I do not dislike PF at all, and sometimes hearing their early 70's material is a treat, but in general, it does not exactly inspire me to much of anything anymore. PF lost it for me, when Rick passed away ... the older I get the more I can see his incredible addition to the band, and how it was hurt in the 80's, but he still produced. 

It's my perception. 

Edited by moshkito - 10 hours 36 minutes ago at 18:38
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6 hours 16 minutes ago at 22:58
^ Try not to assume too much - you don‘t know the totality of what I‘ve listened to (and played) over the years. And it has been 40 years … quite the journey. PF was among the first prog bands I discovered, so they will always be special to me. But I‘ve also really been into Avant, Jazz and Experimental stuff.

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - 6 hours 14 minutes ago at 23:00
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12