Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Release Poll: Pink Floyd And Related

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Release Poll: Pink Floyd And Related
    Posted: May 17 2024 at 04:15
Inspired by the current discussion in the thread about David Gilmour's upcoming release, I decided to expand the release polls at AP to support groups of artists in addition to the time based queries (album of the year, album of the month).

So here's a poll where you can rank and/or tier all Pink Floyd releases together with all the solo releases of the PF members:

https://awesomeprog.com/release-polls/pa/pink-floyd-and-related

Have a try if you like. In order to rate/tier releases you will need to register at AP, but as with the previous polls you can participate without an account as well, in which case you'll be able to set up a ranked list and export it to this thread, where I will pick it up and add it to the combined results.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 04:35
Here's my current list to start with ...

1album cover
[user score]
Laid Back Original Classic English Prog Space Rock [user tags]
2album cover
Pink Floyd
[user score]
Pompous Creative English Prog Rock [user tags]
3album cover
[user score]
Calm Original Classic English Prog Space Rock [user tags]
"One of my favorite albums, a timeless classic. As I'm writing this in the 2020s, listening to the remastered version on Spotify, I remember the days when I would listen to this on an old tape (deck) in the 1990s." (Mike, over 1y ago)
4album cover
Pink Floyd
[user score]
Sarcastic Original Classic English Prog Rock [user tags]
5album cover
Pink Floyd
[user score]
Grim Symph English Prog Art Rock [user tags]
6album cover
Roger Waters
[user score]
Prog Rock/Independent [user tags]
7album cover
Pink Floyd
[user score]
Calm Original Classic English Prog Space Rock [user tags]
8album cover
[user score]
Prog Rock [user tags]
9album cover
Pink Floyd
[user score]
Psychedelic/Space Rock [PA genre]
Surreal Psych Exp Prog Art Krautrock [AP tags]
10album cover
[user score]
Melodic Neo English Prog Rock [user tags]
11album cover
[user score]
Cynical Minimalistic Prog-Adj Post Singer Songwriter [user tags]
12album cover
Roger Waters
[user score]
Cynical Prog-Adj Post Pop/Rock [user tags]
13album cover
[user score]
Calm Innovative Classic English Prog Avant Rock [user tags]
14album cover
[user score]
Mellow Melodic Neo Prog Rock [user tags]
15album cover
Pink Floyd
[user score]
Weird Psych Classic English Prog Avant Rock [user tags]
16album cover
David Gilmour
[user score]
Light Emotional Neo Prog Rock [user tags]
17album cover
Pink Floyd
Obscured By Clouds Soundtrack
[user score]
Prog Rock [user tags]
18album cover
David Gilmour
[user score]
Gloomy Non-Prog Blues/Rock [user tags]
19album cover
David Gilmour
[user score]
Non-Prog Rock/Blues [user tags]
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 05:41
No love for "More", again. 
One of my favorite Pink Floyd albums. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 06:33
^ Then right the wrongs and submit your list Smile
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 06:34
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Very strange its not even on the list; quite sure Mike will have heard it?

Personally, I think 'Meddle' is too low and both 'The Wall' and 'Final Cut' are too high, but there you go...
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 06:37
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

Personally, I think 'Meddle' is too low and both 'The Wall' and 'Final Cut' are too high, but there you go...

I agree. Thumbs Up
Atom Heart Mother is too low as well. 

I'll try to rank them, it's not easy since the band has a ton of great albums. Embarrassed

Edited by Cristi - May 17 2024 at 06:41
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 06:38
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

I'm not saying you are wrong, any ranking is subjective. 
You did not even put More in your list. Confused
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 06:40

Very strange its not even on the list; quite sure Mike will have heard it?

I have definitely heard it, but I haven't listened to it in a while and would need to listen to it again to be able to confidently put it on the list. Try it yourself - it's not so easy to rank releases when you haven't listened to them recently.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 06:41

I'm not saying you are wrong, any ranking is subjective. 
You did not even put More in your list. Confused

Which is why this must be a collaborative effort, to combine our knowledge and subjective opinions. Smile
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 06:45

Try it yourself - it's not so easy to rank releases when you haven't listened to them recently.

Oh, I agree if that is the case; 'More' just seemed to be conspicuous by its absence and I knew Cristi would make a comment; he's very defensive of its reputation!

I think we did a list of favourite PF albums about 6 months ago, but I can't land on it immediately. Admittedly, I don't think it contained Solo works, however. I think it might have been one of Paul's. 
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 06:45

Hi,

Not surprised ... and sadly, the soundtrack is from a really good film that a lot of folks hate. The music is heard on Estelle's cassette player when she is tripping (mostly) and a lot of folks have complained that the music sounds bad ... and were, instead, expecting a Hollywood type of soundtrack with loud washes of music over the picture, and the cassette player not needed or used at all.

It adds a REAL touch to the film, that many of us don't like ... the film is very "real" and Barbet Schroeder makes sure that we "feel" it, and it is no illusion, which compares to his next film, where the illusion is right at the start of the film, even though it is a really beautiful shot by Nestor Almendros, who also did the cinematography for MORE ... and it is really well done, despite what looks like left over and old film stock in many parts, but it is very psychedelic in its presentation. I have always had the feeling that this film was kinda done before PF even saw it, and then they decided to not bother with it, since it had a lot of artistic touches ... let's say that at times it feels like a college student film. But I have never heard anyone in PF say anything about this film ... probably to make sure they could distance themselves from the drugs that they were already advertising were no longer there ... but given Syd's story, that is really not a surprise.

I'm not sure that some folks will bother with this film, or soundtrack ... they are the fans of the 2nd era of PF (probably should be mentioned as 3rd!) ... and they have very little appreciation for things before hand ... they like the popular numbers. PF audience changed after DSOTM and it went to bad, and then ridiculous and then pathetic.

Edited by moshkito - May 17 2024 at 06:50
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 06:48

Try it yourself - it's not so easy to rank releases when you haven't listened to them recently.

Oh, I agree if that is the case; 'More' just seemed to be conspicuous by its absence and I knew Cristi would make a comment; he's very defensive of its reputation!

I think we did a list of favourite PF albums about 6 months ago, but I can't land on it immediately. Admittedly, I don't think it contained Solo works, however. I think it might have been one of Paul's. 

That's why I thought this poll would be interesting, there's about 60 releases by PF and their members in the database. Smile

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 06:49
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Not surprised ... and sadly, the soundtrack is from a really good film that a lot of folks hate. The music is heard on Estelle's cassette player when she is tripping (mostly) and a lot of folks have complained that the music sounds bad ... and were, instead, expecting a Hollywood type of soundtrack with loud washes of music over the picture, and the cassette player not needed or used at all.

It adds a REAL touch to the film, that many of us don't like ... the film is very "real" and Barbet Schroeder makes sure that we "feel" it, and it is no illusion, which compares to his next film, where the illusion ends right at the start of the film, even though it is a really beautiful shot by Nestor Almendros, who also did the cinematography for MORE ... and it is well done, despite what looks like left over and old film stock in many parts, but it is very psychedelic in its presentation.

I'm not sure that some folks will bother with this film, or soundtrack ... they are the fans of the 2nd era of PF (probably should be mentioned as 3rd!) ... and they have very little appreciation for things before hand ... they like the popular numbers. PF audience changed after DSOTM and it went to bad, and then ridiculous and then pathetic.

I've seen the movie, the music is used differently, some songs are not in their full length, and also the order of the songs is different if I remember right. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 07:03

I've seen the movie, the music is used differently, some songs are not in their full length, and also the order of the songs is different if I remember right. 

Hi,

I think a lot of those decisions might have to be made from Barbet's mind, since there might be some stuff they could not get out of ... the appearance of what looks like old film stocks (the colors end up being a bit fuzzy or not as bright) ... and then ... oh well, we only have 30 seconds of film left ... and take the shot as far as one can. Compare this to the next film, where you can see that a lot of money was wasted for a film that really has no story or a lot of value, other than a lot of ad-libs from the French contingent of their national theater and the English contingent of the same. But the film lacked a "reality" that MORE showed, which this new film couldn't due to the amount of money thrown around.

It would have been interesting to see a director's cut of this film, although I think that their budget was next to minus 10 francs ... and the film managed to get done, despite all the issues, but the decision of how to use the music, for me, is a beautiful touch, and something that most folks watching movies don't get and many fans got upset over the use of the music, and how could PF allow that film to be made.  The "reality" in it, is far out, and in many ways makes the addiction part of the film very uncomfortable.

BTW, a lot of Barbet's films were about various addictions ... and the trippy side of PF's music before DSOTM suggests that the whole thing is about the trip with the music ... which was what they did from 1971 until DSOTM finally was released and went monster gagagoogoo.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 07:08
Listened to Rick Wright's Wet Dream which was re-released last year - not bad! Updated list as tiers:

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - May 17 2024 at 07:14
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 07:10
^ Wet Dream is Richard Wright's album. Underrated & overlooked if you ask me. 

Edited by Cristi - May 17 2024 at 07:11
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 07:15
^ Yes of course, I miswrote. Juggling too many releases simultaneously ... and listening to PF - More. Wacko
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 07:21
^^ I guess you've still got Piper & Endless River to go as essentials, then Relics as an optional??
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 07:24
^ I was kind of hoping that some of you would also submit your lists, so that we see from the combined list which releases end up as the collective essentials Smile

But sure, at least Piper is a definitive candidate.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2024 at 07:26

^^ I guess you've still got Piper & Endless River to go as essentials, then Relics as an optional??

I used to have a compilation of their early singles, a few of them were on Relics as well. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>