Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PF Ambient Rock Poll

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which record do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
10 [35.71%]
18 [64.29%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PF Ambient Rock Poll
    Posted: May 19 2024 at 02:24

The elements of ambient music appear on both Pink Floyd's albums "More" and "Obscured by Clouds." Both albums feature intricate soundscapes that transport listeners to otherworldly realms. The use of synthesisers, effects, and unconventional recording techniques contributed to the creation of immersive sonic environments.
The ambient music on "More" and "Obscured by Clouds" evokes a sense of mood and atmosphere that complements the thematic content of each album. From dreamy introspection to eerie tension, Pink Floyd masterfully crafted sonic landscapes that enhanced the listening experience.
Pink Floyd's experimentation with ambient elements became an integral part of their signature sound and musical identity. Although recorded three years apart, the albums "More" and "Obscured by Clouds" seem related not only due to the fact that both are film music but also through their shared exploration of ambient music, showcasing the band's evolution in sound and paving the way for their future musical endeavours; the exploration of ambient music on these albums certainly influenced Pink Floyd's later, critically more acclaimed, masterworks. 
Which record do you prefer?

"More"

"More" is the third studio album by Pink Floyd, released on June 13, 1969, by EMI Columbia. It was created as a soundtrack for the film "More," which was filmed in Ibiza and directed by Barbet Schroeder. From heavy metal in "The Nile Song" to acoustic folk ballads, the music on "More" spans a wide variety of genres. Following its release, the reviews were mixed; however, the album has become well-known for its experimental sonic textures, as "More" features elements of early ambient music. It featured tracks like "Cirrus Minor" and "Quicksilver," which showcased Pink Floyd's exploration into ambient music. The use of atmospheric sounds, ethereal textures, and experimental instrumentation demonstrated the band's splendid experimentation with atmospheric sounds, tranquil vocals, and instrumental segments that contribute to an ambient feel throughout the album, which laid the foundation for the ambient rock subgenre.

"Obscured by Clouds"

Pink Floyd's seventh studio album, "Obscured by Clouds," was released on June 2, 1972, by Harvest and Capitol Records. The album served as the soundtrack for Barbet Schroeder's film "La Vallée." Even though some of their more well-known songs have taken centre stage, "Obscured by Clouds" is a sonic bridge between their early sound and the iconic "The Dark Side of the Moon." Certain instrumental passages on this concept album exhibit characteristics that can be associated with ambient music, which was yet to come at the time. For instance, the title tracks "A Pillow of Winds" and "Circus" feature extended instrumental sections with minimal melodic content, creating an ethereal and dreamlike atmosphere. The band exudes confidence and ease. These passages can be seen as precursors to the more developed ambient soundscapes that would come to define the genre in later years. We get our final look at the psychedelic Floyds with "Obscured by Clouds" before "The Dark Side of the Moon" came out and developed them into the legendary art rock group that we know today. 

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2024 at 02:28
Primary
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2024 at 02:37
Obscured By Clouds Smile
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2024 at 03:45
Obscured By Clouds... 'More' has its moments such as Cirrus Minor, The Nile Song, Green is the Colour, and Cymbaline... the rest of the tracks being a bit mediocre IMO, but OBC is a more satisfying overall listen I find.
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2024 at 04:00
I like More more. The Endless River is somewhat ambient as well, isn't it?
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2024 at 05:08
Obscured by Clouds is the better album imho.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2024 at 05:13
I went with Obscured by Clouds overall, but More has some of my favourite Pink Floyd music. I especially love "Cirrus Minor".
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2024 at 05:45
Two of the weakest Pink Floyd albums, IMO, but from these two I'd choose Obscured by Clouds.
My major problem with soundtracks is that they rarely stand alone that well, without the film... (and here neither of the films are very good,actually).

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2024 at 07:02
Hi,

More is the better film by very far, since OBC (title is actually The Valley), but the album has different title. The title comes from the opening shot of the film, a very nice shot by Nestor Almendros, the cinematography, but sadly, it is the only thing that is really good in the whole thing. The film is just a bunch of adlibs by both the FRench and English National Theater contingents, until the end ... but by then, it's really hard to connect a feather with the clouds, and then a bunch of dancing, which Eberhard Schoener did better in an album later (Bali-Agung).

Both films have Nestor Almendros, btw, and he is excellent and I think he is the one that makes both films attractive.

More is more "realistic" and despite it looking like it had bad/old film stock, it managed to tell its story and end up looking like one of the best psychedelic films ... however, because Estelle uses the music that is on her cassette player, folks dislike the film because the music is not presented in a Hollywood style with loud washes of music trying to make the trip heavier ... and seeing it this way, you KNOW that Estelle is listening and tripping ... whereas otherwise, you can fantasize about it, but it's not as good as the real thing!

It's a shame that some folks don't seem to appreciate MORE and it's "real" touch is exceptional and consistent all the way through, and the film does not give in to cinematic styles and ideas ... it remains with its story and making it live. The only sad thing is that you know how this will all end ... in many ways, it is a very druggy film, and already PF had been talking they were not a drug band in their period before DSOTM went gagagoogoo, and the band was having fun with sound effects and changed versions of many of the songs. The clips from DSOTM about drugs are all in the "Live in Pompeii" film that was also done during that time when they were "tripping" and not having to satisfy the greed of many fans which (really!!!) went on to ruin the band.

Edited by moshkito - May 19 2024 at 07:02
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2024 at 08:29
I love both, but OBC was the first ever PF album I owned, and I have many great memories listening to it, so it gets my vote.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2024 at 14:28
Obscured by Clouds. Behind the clouds are a lot of soaps and crabcake sandwiches.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2024 at 17:50
Clouds gets the nod. 
Welcome to the middle of the film.
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2024 at 06:07
"Obscured by Clouds"
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Moonshake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonshake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2024 at 15:23
Obscured by Clouds
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2024 at 05:43
"Obscured by Clouds".
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2024 at 13:04
Both underrated but I prefer More. It has Cymbaline and Green Is The Colour. The Nile Song is an ascending canon, Quicksilver, The Crying Song and More Blues are excellent. Let's just forget A Spanish Piece.

Obscured by Clouds is unexpectedly the seed from where Dark Side is born, demonstrated also by the use of the lyrics of Free Four on the DSOTM redux by Waters.

Edited by octopus-4 - May 21 2024 at 13:05
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2024 at 13:41
More without the shadow of a doubt
"Mellotron is to progrock what watercolor is to painting. Diaphanous and mesmerizing"
 Post Reply Post Reply