Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Three states: Kansas, California, Illinois

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Of these three albums, choose your music vacation spot...
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
23 [74.19%]
4 [12.90%]
4 [12.90%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Three states: Kansas, California, Illinois
    Posted: May 11 2024 at 18:22
Of course there are many more states that I could choose for album names, but I wanted to keep this short and I have listened to all three albums. Choose the album for you between these three albums. I will include a couple songs from each album for those not familiar with the albums. Since Kansas is so well-known, I listed a couple of, I think, lesser-known tracks.

Kansas - Kansas (1974)

Mr. Bungle - California (1999)

Sufjan Stevens - Illinois (2005)

Here is each albums full playlist:

KAnsas

California

Illinois

I would expect that most would go for Kansas here, but for me it's between California and Illinois. Love both, but going Illinois as I have been very into that of very late.

Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2024 at 18:56
I never vote for Kansas, until now.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2024 at 19:07
I prefer the experimental art rock and surf vibe of California, as well as the Indie folk vibe of Illinois, to the hard pomp rock of Kansas.
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2024 at 20:02
Originally posted by Mellotron Storm Mellotron Storm wrote:

I never vote for Kansas, until now.
I usually vote for Kansas.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2024 at 20:23
I have to say those Early Recordings by Proto Kaw that pre Kansas band with Lyn Meredith on vocals is my favourite of all the Kansas related albums.Sounding more like VDGG than Kansas.

Edited by Mellotron Storm - May 12 2024 at 02:50
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2024 at 01:14
Kansas' debut is one of my favorite albums.
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2024 at 01:57
Kansas debut is probably my fave of theirs actually
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2024 at 02:05
Kansas Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2024 at 02:06
Kansas - Kansas (1974)
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2024 at 02:15
 Kansas - Kansas (1974)

So good they named it twice. Smile
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2024 at 02:53
Kansas. 

Let me mention Proto-Kaw, the native's name of Kansas and also a side project of mr. Livgren. 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2024 at 03:09
My ears dig Kansas. 
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2024 at 06:27
Kansas, I have many memories listening to thie debut album.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2024 at 05:17
I'm surprised that no one other than myself posted any appreciation for California or Illinois. To me those albums are masterpieces.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2024 at 05:54
Kansas stands out here. I do like some stuff by Mr Bungle (tracks, not whole albums) and although I like what I hear from Sufjan Stevens he's too much on the poppy side of things for me (not adventurous enough, maybe). Nice, but not as captivating as the Kansas album.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2024 at 06:15
Three good albums, but I'm with Sufjan Stevens.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2024 at 14:23
Thanks for all of the responses.

Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Kansas stands out here. I do like some stuff by Mr Bungle (tracks, not whole albums) and although I like what I hear from Sufjan Stevens he's too much on the poppy side of things for me (not adventurous enough, maybe). Nice, but not as captivating as the Kansas album.

I'd say he's pretty complex (say, with arrangements), ambitious, and adventurous when compared to most pop (or folk/pop) and when compared to a lot of Prog, but, important to me, I find his music beautiful and it can genuinely touch me. I find him to be so wonderfully expressive and evocative. I love folk music, including really simple folk, but I love the contrasts and changes in his music and how expansive his sound palette can be. For instance, how his music shifts from contemplative, plaintive or wistful, to grand and bombastic. I was listening to Illinois the other day in my the car with my wife where she mentioned something about how pretty the melodies were and we compered it to the kinds of pop on American Idol. As "John Wayne Gacy, Jr." (the clown serial killer from Illinois) came on, I thought this sinister subject matter would be a bit much for that show (just a silly recent recollection).

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Three good albums, but I'm with Sufjan Stevens.

I expected you would be. :)

---------------------

I had wanted to do one of those top ten type songs lists for Sufjan Stevens here, but I guess judging from the responses here that there aren't enough here who really like him. At least not any longer as I used to see considerable appreciation for Sufjan Stevens at this forum (there were more regulars then), which is how I first discovered him. So far, the albums of his I have listened to in full are Michigan, Illinois, The Age of Adz, Carrie and Lowell, and Javelin (which is one of my very favourite albums of 2023).
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2024 at 15:13
Voted for Kansas

Bonus :

Led Zeppelin : Going to California
Frank Zappa : The Illinois enema bandit
"Mellotron is to progrock what watercolor is to painting. Diaphanous and mesmerizing"
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2024 at 11:05
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I'd say he's pretty complex (say, with arrangements), ambitious, and adventurous when compared to most pop (or folk/pop) and when compared to a lot of Prog, but, important to me, I find his music beautiful and it can genuinely touch me.

Oh, I agree: it is beautiful, and I do like to hear it, and I genuinely enjoy it when a track comes by on the radio (which happens regularly on my preferred radio station). It is true that the arrangements are interesting and rich and I enjoy the music thanks to that, but listening to the album, the song structures (the writing/composition) remain fairly simple (hency my "poppy" remark). Nothing wrong with that, I do like me some "simple" music too, and Sufjan Stevens' music is much more interesting than most of the bland and formulaic pop music out there. It is just an other outing of my "Weyes Blood-syndrome": beautiful, but more songs in a row become too much of the same (though I easily prefer Stevens over Weyes Blood, then).

Main thing is not that it's bad - it is actually quite good - but that it's up to an album that I simply prefer, because it sounds more adventurous and diverse to me. On the other end of the spectrum we have Mr Bungle: which is maybe too diverse (too adventurous? i.e. changing moods and styles too often to my liking) to convince me. All three are great artists/bands though.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2024 at 12:30

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I'd say he's pretty complex (say, with arrangements), ambitious, and adventurous when compared to most pop (or folk/pop) and when compared to a lot of Prog, but, important to me, I find his music beautiful and it can genuinely touch me.

Oh, I agree: it is beautiful, and I do like to hear it, and I genuinely enjoy it when a track comes by on the radio (which happens regularly on my preferred radio station). It is true that the arrangements are interesting and rich and I enjoy the music thanks to that, but listening to the album, the song structures (the writing/composition) remain fairly simple (hency my "poppy" remark). Nothing wrong with that, I do like me some "simple" music too, and Sufjan Stevens' music is much more interesting than most of the bland and formulaic pop music out there. It is just an other outing of my "Weyes Blood-syndrome": beautiful, but more songs in a row become too much of the same (though I easily prefer Stevens over Weyes Blood, then).

Main thing is not that it's bad - it is actually quite good - but that it's up to an album that I simply prefer, because it sounds more adventurous and diverse to me. On the other end of the spectrum we have Mr Bungle: which is maybe too diverse (too adventurous? i.e. changing moods and styles too often to my liking) to convince me. All three are great artists/bands though.

Many thanks for such a detailed response. I get ya. As for Weyes Blood, one of the reasons it gets so much play from me is that she is one of the few things I like that my wife also likes. I think it helps that she, and me, is a Carpenters fan, and Weyes Blood (aka Natalie Laura Mering) sounds significantly like Kren Carpenter -- cue a lecture from Mosh on being infatuated with a sound, and a retro on at that, rather than the music itself and being progressive. ;) I like the sound, I like the music, I like the sound of the music (the hills are alive with it). Neither are very eclectic artists, although actually if you went through the discographies one could put together a fairly eclectic album.

Someone like Julia Holter, who actually led to me discovering Weyes Blood, is considerably more diverse and experimental generally.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>