Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog songs with swear words?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog songs with swear words?
    Posted: May 18 2024 at 18:48
I did a quick search but I only was able to find a single closed thread, the last post of which was posted in 2009.

I'm under the impression, that in the prog rock world there aren't many songs with swear words in the lyrics. There are some exceptions though. Let's share examples of this rare phenomenon here!

1. Citizen Cain - Somewhere but Yesterday
2. Spock's Beard - The Water
3. The Flower Kings - Driver's Seat (an example of the 'B word' in a Roine lyric, quite strange!)
4. Simon Says - Brother Where' You Bound (no F or S bombs but there are some pretty strong slurs in there, at least for prog standards)
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2024 at 22:09
Pink Floyd have a few.:

Money: "Don't give me that do goody good bullsh*t."

Not Now John: "F**k all that we got to get on with this...."

Pigs (three different ones): "You f**ed up old hag. Ha ha charade you are..."

Maybe others too but that's all I can think of.

I can't really think of much swearing in prog other than those and the Spock's Beard example that you already mentioned. 

Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2024 at 01:17
Roger Waters' 2017 album 'Is This the Life We Really Want?' is positively peppered with expletives.

https://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=54434

Edited by Floydoid - May 19 2024 at 01:17
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2024 at 01:20
Pink Floyd - Lost for Words from The Division Bell: 'But they tell me to please go f*** myself'.
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2024 at 06:48
Hi,

(swearing or just the words?)

And we left behind Frank Zappa?

Back in the day, when Guy Guden was on the air, in Santa Barbara, the FCC apparently had planted old folks to listen to the station and find as many 4 letter words as they could to fine the station and all that ... it was amusing, but to my knowledge it didn't make any difference, and the cops (etc etc etc) decided to go after the nudies in one beach! 

4 letter words? Didn't last ... but the rap think sure has kept it alive!

Edited by moshkito - May 19 2024 at 06:49
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2024 at 09:01
I swear IQ swore once, but can’t remember which song! DT too I think….
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2024 at 10:19
I may have heard some rude words on a Roger Waters album, but I can't swear by it. Tongue
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2024 at 10:28
Sometimes one doesn't need actual obscenities for a song to be very obscene.

I suggest Jethro Tull's "Hunting Girl." 
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2024 at 10:37
The lyrics in the song "Catholic Girls" by Frank Zappa include instances of the words "VD,” which is a slang term for venereal disease or syphilis, and "vootie," which is an euphemism for the female genitalia. Additionally, there are references to Catholic themes and imagery throughout the song, which some listeners may find offensive due to their religious sensitivities. 
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2024 at 12:26
There's a slight S-bomb 💩 in Cutting the Cards by Arena.
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2024 at 12:41
I think we're all missing one of the most blatant offerings:

Marillion: She Chameleon (Fugazi).. when it came out, I used to skip that track when my parents were in the vicinity; a difficult thing to do with a cassette...
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2024 at 15:15
Riverside : Artificial Smile
"Mellotron is to progrock what watercolor is to painting. Diaphanous and mesmerizing"
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2024 at 15:17
The Strawbs : Out in the cold
"Mellotron is to progrock what watercolor is to painting. Diaphanous and mesmerizing"
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2024 at 02:29
The song "Doctor Jimmy" by The Who can be considered a progressive rock song due to its complex structure, extended instrumental sections with the use of synthesisers and French horns, thematic depth, and eight-and-a-half-minute longevity. Its lyrics contain explicit language and themes that may be considered offensive or inappropriate for some listeners, as in the verse "Oh, f**king will he?" 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2024 at 06:30
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I may have heard some rude words on a Roger Waters album, but I can't swear by it. Tongue

Hi,

Radio Kaos has many of those kinda .... hidden. The robot, issues a few of them.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2024 at 15:09
The song "Spreading the Disease" by Queensr˙che, from their album "Operation: Mindcrime", features the line "Twenty-five bucks (a f**k)". From the same album, in the song "Revolution Calling," the word "bullsh*t" appears in the line, "I'm tired of all this bullsh*t they keep selling me on TV."
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2024 at 17:53
I always think of Train of Thought by Dream Theater:

As I Am: 

"Still
Running uphill
Swimming against the current
I wish I weren't so f**ked"

Honor Thy Father:

"How can you ever sleep a wink at night
pretending that everything is alright
and have the balls to blame this sh*t on me;
Never in my life have I seen someone
so f**king blind to the damage he has done
you're the rotted root in the family tree"

Edited by Necrotica - May 20 2024 at 17:53
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2024 at 18:19
Originally posted by Jared Jared wrote:

I think we're all missing one of the most blatant offerings:

Marillion: She Chameleon (Fugazi).. when it came out, I used to skip that track when my parents were in the vicinity; a difficult thing to do with a cassette...

I suppose technically, it's used as a dirty word and not a swear word.

Also a mention in Garden Party in gerund form.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2024 at 18:19
Tool - Sober
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2024 at 19:30
One Jethro Tull song that contains a swear word is "My God." Given the statement "The bloody Church of England," which uses the word "bloody" as an adjective in its context, some listeners may find this offensive or strong given their religious beliefs.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>