Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Great albums of 2024

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Great albums of 2024
    Posted: May 20 2024 at 07:49
Hi there,

I can't find a recommendations of 2024 thread yet - do I miss something?
I open this maybe more to see your favourites rather than posting my own, as I haven't listened to that many albums of 2024 yet, and although I liked some, I don't have a clear favourite yet.

The best album on PA I have heard yet is Cassiber's Collaborations. It's very experimental; hands off if you are not into that kind of stuff, but collaborators include Frith and Krause of Art Bears (with Chris Cutler being regular Cassiber member anyway), Tim Cora, Stormy Six, and Otomo Yoshihide. But then it may not really count as all the material is from the first half of the 1980s if I understand things correctly.

However I have one proper recommendation (not listed on PA though), which is Banshee by Norwegian saxophonist Signe Emmeluth.

It may be wrong to mention this here as Signe is an experimental jazzer who most likely doesn't qualify for inclusion in PA, yet the Banshee album has obvious nods to Magma, RIO bands, and classical/avantgarde influences you find on some chamber prog albums.  

So this is a somewhat awkward opening of this thread, but we should have one, shouldn't we? Please recommend more listenable stuff if you find mine too avantgarde. Tongue

Edited by Lewian - May 20 2024 at 08:00
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2024 at 07:56
Here's my favorite releases so far (only S/A tiers):

1album cover
Ihsahn
Orchestral Prog Metal
Links: AP BC SPO RYM
2album cover
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
Eerie Prog Avant Rock
3album cover
Prog Space Rock
Links: AP BC SPO
4album cover
Heavy Prog Space Rock
5album cover
Prog Stoner Rock/Metal
6album cover
Job for a Cowboy
Prog Death
7album cover
Marty Friedman
Melodic Prog-Adj Rock/Classical
Links: AP SPO RYM
8album cover
Prog Metal
9album cover
The Aristocrats
Shred Prog Fusion/Rock
10album cover
Caligula's Horse
Prog Metal
11album cover
Prog Metal
Links: AP BC BC SPO RYM
12album cover
Plantoid
Prog Art Rock
13album cover
Artificial Language
Prog Djent
14album cover
Prog Rock
15album cover
Convulsing
Prog Extreme Metal
16album cover
Quirky Prog Art Rock
17album cover
Universe Effects
Prog Metal
18album cover
Prog Rock
19album cover
Turbulence
Virtuose Prog Djent/Fusion
20album cover
ZIO CROCIFISSO
Prog Rock
21album cover
Everything Oscillating
Instr Prog Rock/Metal
22album cover
Prog Art Rock
23album cover
Prog Rock/Metal
24album cover
Prog-Adj Stoner Metal
25album cover
Slave Agent
Prog-Adj Thrash
26album cover
Amarok
Prog Rock
27album cover
Prog Extreme Metal
Links: AP BC SPO RYM RYM
28album cover
Borknagar
Prog Black
29album cover
Prog Art Rock
30album cover
Hideous Divinity
Prog-Adj Death
31album cover
Exp Prog Rock/Independent
32album cover
Benjamin Croft
Eclectic Prog Rock/Jazz
33album cover
Prog-Adj Rock
34album cover
35album cover
A Burial at Sea
Prog Post Rock
36album cover
Big Big Train
Prog Rock
37album cover
Mannequin Pussy
38album cover
Man Doki Soulmates
Prog Rock/Jazz
39album cover
Madder Mortem
Prog Art Metal
40album cover
Slift
Prog Post Rock/Metal
41album cover
Prog Rock
42album cover
Pineapple Thief
Prog-Adj Rock
43album cover
Sonata Arctica
Neo Classical Prog-Adj Power Metal
44album cover
Whom Gods Destroy
Prog Metal

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - May 20 2024 at 07:58
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2024 at 08:40
My clear top 2 on the year so far are

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - The Last Human Being
Present - This Is Not The End

Bunch of others bubbling under.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
edefakiel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edefakiel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2024 at 09:12
It has been a slow year for me until this point. I don't think that there has been anything truly remarkable yet. Some of the things I have been enjoying the most:

Harbour Century by Eunuchs.
Ihsahn by Ihsahn.
Monkey Jockey Man and The Safari Tick Sugar by Perfect. 
Bellum II by Aquilus.
empathogen by Willow.
The Sacred Vowel by Extra Life.
Something in the Room She Moves by Julia Holter.
Twice Aroound the Sun by Ugly.
Within by Alon Mor.
XII in XII #07 - Toad Hirer by Toehider.

Not much else. 

Edited by edefakiel - May 20 2024 at 09:13
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2024 at 09:26
I think that "Natura Morta" by the former Muffins member, multiinstrumentalist Dave Newhouse, is a great album, and that really deserves to be mentioned here. The music on this CD, released on Wayside Music in April 2024, can be described as a fusion of jazz, avant-garde, experimental, and progressive rock elements. Dave Newhouse is indeed known for his eclectic style that blends various genres and influences to create a unique sonic experience. The album showcases Newhouse’s mastery of composition and arrangement, featuring intricate melodies, complex harmonies, and odd time signatures. 
Accompanied by a bunch of excellent musicians, Newhouse created music that is characterised by its atmospheric soundscapes, intricate instrumental passages, and dynamic shifts in mood and tempo. His use of a wide range of instruments, including saxophone, keyboards, guitar, and percussion, adds depth and texture to the music. David Newhouse delivered a rich tapestry of musical ideas that is often close to the 'Canterbury' idiom. However, "Natura Morta" is a captivating musical journey that pushes boundaries and challenges traditional notions of genre, and with its progressive rock influences and experimental jazz sensibilities, this album is sure to appeal to listeners who appreciate progressive music that defies categorization.

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2024 at 10:13
Not on PA, but I guess Julia Holter's new album Something in the Room She Moves is very will be of interest to some prog fans:

On PA, and I was surprised that a track was played on a national public radio channel last week, Perilymph's new album Progressions Imaginaires. Didn't know them before, but was not surprised to discover that they exist on PA. Maybe not groundbreaking, but it's a very pleasant and enjoyable mix of nea, kraut, psych and other things:

Edited by suitkees - May 20 2024 at 10:20

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2024 at 10:54
I have not checked to see what is on PA, although I know the Radiohead-related Wall of Eyes is in PA, and I would guess that Harbour Centre will be if not in now. I don't categorise my collection into Prog, Prog-related, Prog-adjacent, Proggy, quasi-Prog, semi-Prog etc. and Non-Prog and don't find value in trying to make that determination except for site work, and even then it can be so subjective. Prog is so nebulous and amorphous. These are some I liked from this year, with Tapir!, Wall of Eyes and Eunuchs being particular favourites. While I adore Julia Holter and love various albums bv her, her latest still needs more time with me to properly click.

Tapir! - The Pilgrim, Their God and the King of My Decrepit Mountain

Eunuchs - Harbour Century

The Smile - Wall of Eyes

Julia Holter - Something in the Room She Moves
Chelsea Wolfe - She Reaches Out to She Reaches Out to She
St. Vincent - All Born Screaming
glass beach - Plastic Death
Prizes Roses Rosa - To Fire Clay
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2024 at 11:20
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Not on PA, but I guess Julia Holter's new album Something in the Room She Moves is very will be of interest to some prog fans:
On PA, and I was surprised that a track was played on a national public radio channel last week, Perilymph's new album Progressions Imaginaires.

Hi,

Had been getting disappointed when listening to "new things" for this year, only to find more pedestrian mishmash stuff all over ... and it was getting me disappointed. Many of those listings are getting more and more ... frustrating ... and the great stuff is more difficult to find when you have to go through the stuff that is just like all the others and is considered good by the sound ... not the music!

Both of these albums are far out. Julia Holter's perspective is really special and very well done.

Perilymph's album is a treat and worth a listen ... 

Might get me re-inspired again ... not sure why we think that guy's solo song is great when it isn't ... and a rehash of stuff done before ... whereas these are way more original and worth the listen ... 

Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

However I have one proper recommendation (not listed on PA though), which is Banshee by Norwegian saxophonist Signe Emmeluth.

I love this kind of stuff, which defies the parameters of what "music" really is, and in many examples, this is really far out "classical music", even though I would say that a lot of this is improvised, and a concert would not exactly have known materials, but just new experiences for the moment in time. 

This is rare, to hear and see musicians that do this, and in a place like PA, this might be too polarising and apart from the definitions and styles ... no growl, no screaming pedestrian guitars, no high school drumming ... you know ... stuff usually listed with numbers. 

Thanks for posting this ... love it!!!!

Edited by moshkito - May 20 2024 at 11:32
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2024 at 11:52
in no particular order:

The Amazing - Piggies (slowcore)
Arab Strap - I'm totally fine with it 👍 don't give a fk anymore 👍 (electronic/slowcore)
Mildlife - Chorus (chill fusion)
Sivert Høyem - On an Island (singer-songwriter)
Solar Blooms - Akhali Dzalis Dabadeba (proggy hard rock)
Tarot - Glimpse Of The Dawn (proggy hard rock)
Billie Eilish - Hit Me Hard And Soft (art pop)
Willow - Empathogen (art pop)
Lo Moon - I Wish You Way More Than Luck (art pop)
Beth Gibbons - Lives Outgrown (chamber pop)
Judas Priest - Invincible Shield (heavy metal)
Ellesmere - Stranger Skies (neo-prog)
Counting Hours - The Wishing Tomb (gothic metal)
My Dying Bride - A Mortal Binding (gothic metal)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2024 at 12:13
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

Beth Gibbons - Lives Outgrown (chamber pop)

I've been meaning to listen to that. Of course I love her in Portishead, and her album with Rustin Man, Out of Season, is much loved by me. I find that an awful lot of what I listen to these days falls into the chamber pop and art pop categorisations. I should try the new Billie Eilish too, amongst others.
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2024 at 12:40
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I find that an awful lot of what I listen to these days falls into the chamber pop and art pop categorisations
same! Actually there's one more album then, that I need to recommend here, and it's some sublime art-pop:

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2024 at 12:45
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I find that an awful lot of what I listen to these days falls into the chamber pop and art pop categorisations
same! Actually there's one more album then, that I need to recommend here, and it's some sublime art-pop:

Thanks you. Wow, I absolutely love that!
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2024 at 12:48

Hi there,

I freaked out at first. Mosh pit is a scary thing, don't ya think? TongueWinkBig smileLOL
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2024 at 13:11
Theo May is a violinist who was born in the late 1990s near rivers and cornfields in North Wiltshire. He received formal training at the Purcell School in 2015, where he studied composition. May further pursued his education at the Royal College of Music under the guidance of renowned composers such as Mark Anthony Turnage and Errollyn Wallen. May's musical development has been influenced by various genres, including progressive jazz, free improvisation, folk, contemporary classical music, and more. He is known for his work with the Odd Unit quintet, a group of music college graduates who create compositions that blend elements of jazz, folk, and classical music. The Odd Unit's music is characterised by its high-octane tunes, dark soundscapes, melancholic lyrical pieces, avant-garde experimental soundscapes, and fierce intensity.

In January 2024, Theo May's Odd Unit released a CD, "Alive in the Forest of Odd." The album, which I think is great, is likely to create an immersive atmosphere for listeners. Through intricate arrangements and layered textures,Theo May’s Odd Unit aims to transport the audience into a different sonic realm, evoking emotions and sparking imagination. The album features innovative soundscapes that challenge conventional notions of melody and harmony. Expect dynamic rhythms on this album as Theo May's Odd Unit explores complex rhythmic patterns, unconventional time signatures, intricate drumming, polyrhythmic textures, and unexpected tempo changes that add depth and intensity to the listening experience.

omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2024 at 15:08
2023 was my favorite prog-year of the 2000s.  I hope 2024s crop is vintage...as well. 

My top 2024 albums...Not in order of preference, but I purchased CD or Vinyl copies of everything I listed.

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - "The Last Human Being"
Present - "This Is Not The End"
Ellesmere - "Stranger Skies"
Caligula's Horse- "Charcoal Grace"
The Aristocrats- "Duck"
Big Big Train- " The Likes of Us"
Celeste- "Echi Di Un Futuro Passato"
Chronicles of Father Robin- "Book III"

And

Aquilus- Bellum II  (Black Metal with occasional buried-in-the-mix death growls, plus classical music interludes...very atmospherical.  Aquilus should be included on Prog Archives)Wink

I don't like death growls, but I can dig it when Opeth, Unexpect, and Aquilus do it. 

Edited by omphaloskepsis - May 23 2024 at 06:52
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2024 at 15:18
Originally posted by Archisorcerus Archisorcerus wrote:

Hi there,

I freaked out at first. Mosh pit is a scary thing, don't ya think? TongueWinkBig smileLOL
This looks pretty funny but alas I don't get it. Sorry. Cry
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2024 at 15:21
Given that there's some interaction going on now (thanks for all this!), I say that among the albums listed I like "So Sorry So Slow" by Adult Jazz a lot (somewhere buried on Mike's list), also the Julia Holter album, and at least the best bits of the Sleepytime Gorilla Museum, which are really great, but I haven't yet become friends with the whole album. May still happen though.

Edited by Lewian - May 20 2024 at 15:21
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2024 at 15:24
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

I love this kind of stuff, which defies the parameters of what "music" really is, and in many examples, this is really far out "classical music", even though I would say that a lot of this is improvised, and a concert would not exactly have known materials, but just new experiences for the moment in time. 

In fact I got to know her seeing her live with that Banshee band. They mixed impro and composed material, and I recognised more of the gig on the album than I'd have expected. Happy that you like it.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2024 at 15:30
There are two albums I can mention right now:

Alejandro Matos - Carnaval de las Victimas (review under construction)
Big Big Train - The Likes of Us

Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2024 at 15:50
"Eli: A Wonderful Fall From Grace" is the 11th studio album by the Australian progressive metal band Teramaze. It was released in April 2024, through Wells Music. This album consists of eight tracks that are interconnected and contribute to telling a cohesive story throughout. The themes of shipwreck survival, betrayal, love, wonder, and star attraction are woven into the narrative of the album, creating a unified concept that runs through its entirety.
"Eli: A Wonderful Fall From Grace" showcases the band's technical prowess with intricate guitar work, complex rhythms, and dynamic song structures. The album features a mix of heavy riffs, melodic passages, and powerful vocals that complement the overall sound.
The production quality of the album is top-notch, with clear instrumentation. "Eli: A Wonderful Fall From Grace" received positive reviews from critics and fans alike for its musical complexity, lyrical depth, and emotional impact. In my opinion, this is a great progressive metal album.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>