Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Pt 17: Not in PA 1960s-2020s One track per 5 years
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pt 17: Not in PA 1960s-2020s One track per 5 years

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Vote for three, or more, or less if you like. One vote per track.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
2 [11.76%]
3 [17.65%]
3 [17.65%]
1 [5.88%]
1 [5.88%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [17.65%]
1 [5.88%]
2 [11.76%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [5.88%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pt 17: Not in PA 1960s-2020s One track per 5 years
    Posted: May 22 2024 at 16:12
This is the seventeenth poll where I tried to cover one track per five years -- either starting with the 1960-1964 years or 1965-1969 years, and ending with the 2020s thus far years -- from an act not in PA and not covering more than one track for an album throughout the polls. I also did 17 "in-PA" polls. I did make some errors, but there is a topic where I compiled the choices from the in and out of PA poll series: https://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=132552

Morgen "Of Dreams" (Morgen, 1969)
Alice Coltrane "Hare Krishna" (Universal Consciousness, 1971)
Haruomi Hosono & Tadanori Yokoo "Madam Consul General of Madras" (Cochin Moon, 1978)
Siouxsie and The Banshees "Into the Light" (Juju, 1981)
The Smiths "Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before" (Strangeways, Here We Come, 1987)
The Orb "Earth (Gaia)" (The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld, 1991)
Fiona Apple "Get Gone" (When the Pawn, 1999)
Air "Dirty Trip" (The Virgin Suicides, 2000)
The National "The Geese of Beverly Road" (Alligator, 2005)
Julia Holter "So Lillies" (Tragedy, 2011)
Beach House "Space Song" (Depression Cherry, 2015)
Eunuchs "Gnome and Fortune" (Harbour Century, 2024)

For any who may wish to check out the music.

Please for for three, or more, or less, tracks from the poll if you so desire. This series has been a great way to get more acquainted/ re-acquainted with acts and albums I like.
My 1960 to 2024 youtube playlist, one track per act and one track per year.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4Jq6bFhyET
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 17:55
For what it's worth in this self-indulgent exercise, the ones of these that speak the most to me today are:

The National "The Geese of Beverly Road" (Alligator, 2005)
Julia Holter "So Lillies" (Tragedy, 2011)
And Eunuchs "Gnome and Fortune" (Harbour Century, 2024)

Air's is my track of the day. Have loved several Air albums but had not paid much attention to this soundtrack album before.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 18:02
^Epic avi, bruh!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 18:55
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

^Epic avi, bruh!

Thanks, as Cat Stevens sang, it's a wild world.

{"wild world" being a reference to the La Planète sauvage in my avatar (as well as me referencing a Cat Stevens song) which translates into English as The Savage Planet / The Wild Planet -- they used the English title Fantastic Planet -- in case it's not clear enough to all. Love the soundtrack and the animated film. Explaining a quip without being asked to or needing to; rather pathetic I know.}

Edited by Logan - May 22 2024 at 20:34
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2024 at 05:12
Thanks for the playlist: quite handy to discover the tracks I didn't know and to refresh my memory regarding the remaining few. And very pleasant to listen to - only The Orb track was a bit on the dull side of things, to me. I attended a concert of The National in 2006; I suppose they were touring this album. I got free tickets and they were a great discovery (although I probably had heard a track or two before seeing them). This track is enjoyable, but a bit on the "safe side" of things.
No vote for Air, this time, but I'll vote for Haruomi Hosono & Tadanori Yokoo (nice discovery!), Siouxsie and The Banshees (I like them better now then back in those days...) and Julia Holter (still have to explore the album this is from).

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2024 at 05:22
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2024 at 08:13
6 Thanks, Cristi.

Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Thanks for the playlist: quite handy to discover the tracks I didn't know and to refresh my memory regarding the remaining few. And very pleasant to listen to - only The Orb track was a bit on the dull side of things, to me. I attended a concert of The National in 2006; I suppose they were
touring this album. I got free tickets and they were a great discovery
(although I probably had heard a track or two before seeing them). This
track is enjoyable, but a bit on the "safe side" of things.
No vote for Air, this time, but I'll vote for Haruomi Hosono & Tadanori Yokoo (nice discovery!), Siouxsie and The Banshees (I like them better now then back in those days...) and Julia Holter (still have to explore the album this is from).

I hope for another playlist from you ere long, perhaps for a themed topic. While I like it, I still tend to agree with you on The Orb choice. The Orb does bring back some fond memories of my youth, and I know someone at PA who is a fan, so I also had that person in mind. I would have loved to see The National in concert; I was going to go with another track but changed to that one at the last minute. Maybe I was trying to play it a bit safe by choosing it. There is no need to, as those who I might reasonably hope to listen and respond (those few, those happy few à la Henry V), tend not to be the "safe" non-crowd.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2024 at 09:00
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

^Epic avi, bruh!

Thanks, as Cat Stevens sang, it's a wild world.

{"wild world" being a reference to the La Planète sauvage in my avatar (as well as me referencing a Cat Stevens song) which translates into English as The Savage Planet / The Wild Planet -- they used the English title Fantastic Planet -- in case it's not clear enough to all. Love the soundtrack and the animated film. Explaining a quip without being asked to or needing to; rather pathetic I know.}

Say, can you edit the poll to add the soundtrack?

(A bit late, I reckon.)
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2024 at 09:12
Haruomi Hosono's "Madam Consul General Of Madras" is an easy favorite from the list, coming from his synthtastic score for Cochin Moon (which the good people at Light in the Attic reissued for us).

After that, Siouxsie and Air (though I burned out on the latter).
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2024 at 09:20
^ Actually Goraguer is included in PA, so even if Alice Coltrane did not have a vote, I would not include it in this out of PA one. If I do more of those in PA ones, then I likely will choose a track from it. There is so much excellent music from 1970 to 1974 to choose from. I have included it in polls before at PA as it has been a particular favourite of mine.

I did do a track from Karl Heinz Schäfer Les gants blancs du diable (also from 1973) in a not in PA poll, which is a soundtrack I closely associate stylistically with Goraguer's La Planète sauvage OST.

By the way, I had thought you might quite appreciate the track from Cochin Moon. EDIT: I was responding to your post two posts up, so had not seen the post above. I see you do indeed like it now.

Edited by Logan - May 23 2024 at 09:21
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2024 at 09:43
Even though I knew most of the artists, I only consciously knew one track of these (probably have heard the Air, Smiths,...). So I went through the playlist and arrived at:
Best track by Alice Coltrane
Best track by artist not yet known to me by Hosono
Best track that had no vote yet: The Orb
Track that I already knew, hence no vote, but I like it: Siouxsie. 

Of course it can be different on another day.

Edited by Lewian - May 23 2024 at 09:47
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2024 at 10:28

^ Actually Goraguer is included in PA, so even if Alice Coltrane did not have a vote, I would not include it in this out of PA one. If I do more of those in PA ones, then I likely will choose a track from it. There is so much excellent music from 1970 to 1974 to choose from. I have included it in polls before at PA as it has been a particular favourite of mine.

Wow, I didn't know that! Pretty cool.

I did do a track from Karl Heinz Schäfer Les gants blancs du diable (also from 1973) in a not in PA poll, which is a soundtrack I closely associate stylistically with Goraguer's La Planète sauvage OST.

Not familiar with that one. I shall remedy.

By the way, I had thought you might quite appreciate the track from Cochin Moon. EDIT: I was responding to your post two posts up, so had not seen the post above. I see you do indeed like it now.

It's definitely ahead of its time. '78 had that and TD's Sorcerer, a sort of prelude to the monsoon of '80s electronic film scores that was forthcoming.

The YMO guys are geniuses. Haruomo's Coincidental Music is a collection of pieces done in the early '80s for some corporate entities. It also got a remaster after being OOP for a minute. Nice stuff.
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2024 at 10:43
Siouxsie and The Banshees "Into the Light" (Juju, 1981) Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply