Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Streetwalkers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nickmannion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Streetwalkers
    Posted: May 21 2024 at 09:01
As Family are happily ensconced in the PA listings....the band formed by the 2 Family main protagonists 'Streetwalkers' is sadly absent.

They had 4 brilliant albums (the final one a live double) from 1975 to 1977 and this was proceeded by what was meant as a Chapman/Whitney album (recorded with an all star cast), which they called 'Streetwalkers' in 1974.

There have been 3 archive live releases (one from Germany, 2 from UK dates) on CD too.

Roger Chapman and Charlie Whitney are the constants but a footnote is that the drummer on their first album is one Nico McBrain...of the last 40+ years on the Iron Maiden drum stool!

Albums Downtown Flyers Vertigo 1975: Red Card Vertigo 1976 (reached #16 in UK album charts) Vicious But Fair Vertigo 1977 and Live Streetwalkers (dbl) Vertigo 1977.

There are loads of live videos on you tube split by individual song from 2 sessions they did for German tv (rockpalast).

As prog related as Family and if a same time and place comparison was needed already on PA, perhaps Baker Gurvitz Army.

If this is considered for inclusion I will happily write the biog and anything else required.
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2024 at 12:23
Which subcategory would you say is most appropriate for this band?
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2024 at 13:42
prog related imo
"Mellotron is to progrock what watercolor is to painting. Diaphanous and mesmerizing"
Nickmannion View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nickmannion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2024 at 15:23
Prog related or maybe Crossover prog.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2024 at 17:13
Originally posted by Nickmannion Nickmannion wrote:

As Family are happily ensconced in the PA listings....the band formed by the 2 Family main protagonists 'Streetwalkers' is sadly absent.

They had 4 brilliant albums (the final one a live double) from 1975 to 1977 and this was proceeded by what was meant as a Chapman/Whitney album (recorded with an all star cast), which they called 'Streetwalkers' in 1974.

Hi,

One of my favorite listens, and I was thinking that a lot of solo stuff by Chappo might also be included. I have the "Hyenas Only Laugh For Fun" album and the guitar work alone in there with the vocals, are superb and far out. The whole album is worth the mention, as are other of his solo albums, though a couple of solo albums, are less representative of it all, as I think the band behind him was not exactly the likes of Family, or Streetwalkers.

Outstanding group that deserves more. And all 4 of their albums (with the first one Chapman/Whitney) have outstanding things that they used on the Live Album which is magnificent. Putting it on right now ... a definite favorite and one excellent live album, for me one of the best. The guitar work in those albums is very similar in design as a lot of Toni McPhee's style in The Groundhogs, with a lot of effects beautifully used.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nickmannion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2024 at 19:22
Actually in Chappos solo stuff post Streetwalkers his guitarist was Geoff Whitehorn who was in If for their last 2 albums and then Back Street Crawler who became just Crawler after Kossoff passed on and he recorded in 1974 and it was released in Japan only a jazz/rock album that I haven't been able to find a copy of for 40 odd years!

My fav RC album is also a live double He Was She Was You Was We Was (1982) I think recorded in Germany (without pulling it  from the shelves and checking) where he has always had an audience.

I am old enough to have seen Streetwalkers on that final '77 tour from where the live album came from. Check out also the two CDs from that tour Rip It Up At The Rainbow and Rip It Up At The DeMontfort Hall (a Leicester home town gig for him). Bobby Tench the other guitar player went on to late 70's Humble Pie too!
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 15:03
An artist needs to have gone through a different subgenre team before it can be taken into consideration for Prog-Related, but I've forwarded your request to the Crossover team Thumbs Up
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 15:51
So not only there is no bio, but no listening link either?! Ouch
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2024 at 19:36
Three studio albums on YouTube (as single uploads rather than playlists):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sROHlYC7CLs Downtown Flyers (1975)

Live performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzaZBRatBGw Live (for Rockpalast TV) @ WDR Studio L, Koln, 1977

Nick said in the o.p. that he'd take care of the biography if the artist is considered for inclusion.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nickmannion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2024 at 12:14
Thank you.
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2024 at 15:14
You're welcome.

The evaluation in Crossover is now under way. You can check up on the progress from time to time by visiting https://awesomeprog.com/pa/chart/crossover_prog and looking down the list of active artists there.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nickmannion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2024 at 16:42
That's good news!
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2024 at 07:33
They were unfortunately rejected yesterday, with two straight 'no' votes. As well as the straight 'yes' and 'no' votes, the team members have other options to vote 'unsure', 'no vote', 'time' or 'prog-related', but it seems that neither of the two who voted considered this band to be a candidate for prog-related, though this is a category which is rarely used on PA these days tbf.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2024 at 07:53
Sounds prog-adjacent to me, at least on Red Card. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2024 at 08:29
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

They were unfortunately rejected yesterday, with two straight 'no' votes. As well as the straight 'yes' and 'no' votes, the team members have other options to vote 'unsure', 'no vote', 'time' or 'prog-related', but it seems that neither of the two who voted considered this band to be a candidate for prog-related, though this is a category which is rarely used on PA these days tbf.

Prog-related is a total different situation. It's the admins that decide for that. 
Also the band has nothing to do with prog, I'm not sure they would fit there either (to put it nicely). Confused
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2024 at 09:42
Hi,

So sad to see this band rejected, and it might not have been the band itself as rejected, but the grouping that was the problem ... one can only hope that the folks in the know, can remedy this as there are hundreds of bands with just one album that have a lot less to offer as a member of the brotherhood ... than Streetwalkers.

It's sad in a way, but no one said that life was a breeze ... and I'm pretty sure that RC is not going to shed a tear for angels that can't sing as his song would say.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2024 at 10:45
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Prog-related is a total different situation. It's the admins that decide for that. 
Also the band has nothing to do with prog, I'm not sure they would fit there either (to put it nicely). Confused
Yeah, it's admins who decide on whether a band or artist should be added to prog-related or not, but a Special Collaborator has to pick up the baton and prepare a convincing case for them to begin with. It's not over yet I suppose, but so far no SC seems to feel strongly enough that the band is worthy of a place in that category on PA.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2024 at 13:24
It does'nt make an ounce of difference whether the Streetwalkers are in here or not. Rog is a genius full stop and everything from Family, through Streetwalkers to all the various Shortlist line ups and solo material is just brilliant, high energy, at times quirky and out there, at times low down n' dirty. RC has got to be one of the hardest working artists out there and the fact that his style (and the bands he & Charlie have had together) refuses to be pinned down and that he (its on record many times, he thinks most 'Prog' was over-blown b*****ks) doesn't give a sh*t just adds to my admiration of the man. 

Post Reply Post Reply