Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Good Prog-Rock Songs w/ Female Vocals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGazzardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2024 at 12:56
Francis Likrish (of the Enid) has released two albums (one as Secret Green) with Hillary Palmer on vocals, and they are both fantastic. Not from the 70s but he's best well known as the Enids guitarist from the 70s, so he's of that era.
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2024 at 00:48
Apoteosi originates from Calabria, the well-known Italian south region. On their self-titled album from 1975, all the tunes are top-notch and very airy; the playing is amazing and diverse, with wonderful utilisation of grand piano, Hammond organ, ARP synthesiser, flute, electric and acoustic guitar, and incredible vocals brought by singer Silvana Idà. 
These are the three songs we will focus on from Apoteosi's single album's five tracks. 
First up is "Prima Realta, Frammentaria Rivolta," a nearly 15-minute piece that showcases the band's individual talent, from the bassist to the keyboardist to the vocalist. Silvana Idà indeed shines as one of the best female voices I've ever heard in the symphonic rock genre.
"Oratorio (Corale)," a little tune with a chorus that sounds ethereal, adorned with Silvana's beautifully haunting lead vocal.
The opening section of "Dimensione da sogno" is a little vocal composition for piano and distant, delicate electric leads. Silvana Idà sang her sublime vocal part with a lot of dignity and delight.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2024 at 07:01
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

trying to find something featuring the late great Magdelana Hagberg (PLP). 

Hi,

Same lineup that played the SF Progressive Music Festival. Just not sure which came first ... although it was suggested that half the equipment used in the SF show was Erik Nordanler's, as apparently they could not get nearly everything Per wanted or was looking for. Still made for a really good show, and they were tight and presented themselves well ... with only one sad side ... the number of folks that came to that whole thing was sad ... probably half the number it needed and all the bands in it, did a superb job ... with some outstanding shows ... I suppose the only sad one I thought about was Brand X ... with only one original, and while nice, and sounding good, the other folks could not make it sound better and stronger ... I almost think they were the weakest point, although the only one I did not enjoy much of was Buckethead .... if he had a real band with him, it would make his show much more interesting. Instead you fall asleep after 10 minutes!

Magdelana passed away Christmas 2007. She also played the violin, not just sing with Per.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2024 at 09:44
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Same lineup that played the SF Progressive Music Festival. Just not sure which came first ... although it was suggested that half the equipment used in the SF show was Erik Nordanler's, as apparently they could not get nearly everything Per wanted or was looking for.

I've enjoyed Erik's music as a solo artist and with Rocket Scientists since their arrival. Great keyboardist, great guy, great mind. Erik has worked with Alesis and IK Multimedia, and is now employed by Moog Music (yes, Lana and Erik relocated to the east coast)!
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2024 at 15:05
Almost any album by Catherine Ribeiro + Alpes, but especially Paix (1974).
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2024 at 09:55
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I've enjoyed Erik's music as a solo artist and with Rocket Scientists since their arrival. Great keyboardist, great guy, great mind. Erik has worked with Alesis and IK Multimedia, and is now employed by Moog Music (yes, Lana and Erik relocated to the east coast)!
Hi,

They put on the best, and most professional of all the shows in SF in 1999 in my book ... they came ready to show and go ... and they did. beautifully. Sadly, so few people got to see it and enjoy the work.

IF, I have a thought or two, it would be on the lyrics on the material for Lana Lane's albums, and while nice, and the idea of a concept often stands up, in the end, the wording is, on occasion, not quite well used to help the music. A couple of times, I have felt the energy drop, because the voice could not interpret the lyrics well enough to make the music better.

As a "director" that did theater and some film, in my book the only thing that Lana Lane might have enjoyed would be a voice coach like Andrea Toyias ... (she coaches almost all voice actors in World of Warcraft) ... and she has a knack for finding the mood and the strength ... that one song, at one time in one of Blizzard's yearlies showed someone singing in the voice of Sylvannas, and it was not only fantastic, it was something that Lana Lane could have done easily enough. And visually stunning, as they were able to get the lights done halfway decent to help it get better. Andrea Toyias knows the difference between poetry and expression and how to use them properly, instead of it just being "lyrics". It makes all the characters she works with very strong, and the voicings are phenomenal ... you would always hope to get half that energy on a show ... 

Other than that, considering the amount of work they have done ... it's excellent. And yeah, I would love to see that show again ... it was that good. Erik and Lana might even remember me ... I was back stage with them just before their show.

Edited by moshkito - June 01 2024 at 09:55
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2024 at 15:27
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Anything with the amazing Gayle Moran, including Mahavishnu Orchestra's "Visions of the Emerald Beyond." 

Sorry, I forgot to post a video clip!  

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345