Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No more drama

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No more drama
    Posted: April 12 2024 at 15:40
It has been a rough week ... I'm sorry if I offended some of you in these heated discussions, that was never my intention. I'll try to stay out of them going forward, it simply takes too much time and focus away from the music. Political topics are a SCNR thing for me - I know it is pointless discussing them in a forum, since the discussion always deteriorates into name-calling and fallacious arguments that would take weeks to resolve, time which essentially nobody has.

I'm sorry that I got angry towards Catcher10 and Moshkito. I still do not agree with what you wrote and how you engaged me (and others), but of course this is a public forum and we are all free to pretty much do what we like.

I'll get back to focusing on the music. See you around!
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 15:48
At least you weren't ignored. That's far worse.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 15:54
Being ignored is not something I tend to worry about ... 
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 21:41
For some time now I don't discuss politics or social topics online, 'cause I know it can easily lead to arguments and dramas. And forums are echo chambers. I'm a member of a forum about a popular Polish TV show and that forum is filled with almost exclusively right-wingers or alt-right people. And every time a political topic is talked about over there, and someone says something homophobic, racist or really really fricking stupid and a whole bunch of other users just agree, and nobody even questions that unethical way of thinking, nobody comes over with a counterargument, I cringe of embarrassment.

The forum users are like a bunch of surströmmings rotting in their online echo chamber tin can, and when someone from the outside world opens this can up, there comes that awful stench.

Edited by Hrychu - April 12 2024 at 21:46
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 22:07
^ That may be true, but those forum posters are misled assh*les and it's important to remember that.   You're either on the side of humanity or you're not.

Edited by Atavachron - April 12 2024 at 22:08
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 22:33
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ That may be true, but those forum posters are misled assh*les and it's important to remember that.   You're either on the side of humanity or you're not.

That's true. And that's why on that forum, I exclusively talk about the technical aspects of the TV Show.
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 22:33
Ok, drama
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 22:52
Gotta have some drama !
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2024 at 23:32

You're either on the side of humanity or you're not.

Do you think that anyone who disagrees with the views you hold on these important topics is automatically evil? I think that for many of these matters (homophobia for instance) there is a range of opinions out there, and not all people that are incompatible with my views on the issue are "bad people". So at least for me, I don't feel anger towards them, or the need to insult them.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2024 at 00:12
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

You're either on the side of humanity or you're not.

Do you think that anyone who disagrees with the views you hold on these important topics is automatically evil? I think that for many of these matters (homophobia for instance) there is a range of opinions out there, and not all people that are incompatible with my views on the issue are "bad people". So at least for me, I don't feel anger towards them, or the need to insult them.
I actually agree with you, Mike. That's the reason I didn't cancel that forum and kept talking with those users about the show. I just don't talk with them about politics etc.

I believe that despite having different views than a certain group of people, who are into the same franchise or music style (you get the idea) as you, and despite the fact you hate their views with a passion, you can still get along. 👍

Edited by Hrychu - April 13 2024 at 00:14
— Ernest Vong
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2024 at 00:22
Society has changed a lot - as I mentioned elsewhere, in the 90s there was more room for disagreement. The "corridor of allowable opinions", if you will, was much wider than it is today. Of course memory is not completely reliable, as the brain modifies memories over time. But even today we can see this "corridor" getting more and more narrow. At the same time the "us vs them" mentality is increasing.

I miss these days when you could discuss different points of view even on controversial issues without necessarily reaching the name-calling stage at some point. Nowadays it seems like we reach that stage even before the argument begins, by people preemptively using pejorative terms on "them" to virtuously signal their position within the "us" group. Undoubtedly social media is partially (or mostly) to blame for this, making it much easier to attack people verbally without facing immediate consequences.   
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2024 at 00:25
^^ Yes, I really believe that one of the most important things we need to do to preserve our liberal society is to try to get along with people who have different views. Within reasonable limits of course. This "corridor of allowable opinions" isn't infinitely wide for most people. Smile
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2024 at 06:32
affasasfa
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2024 at 07:38

Society has changed a lot - as I mentioned elsewhere, in the 90s there was more room for disagreement. The "corridor of allowable opinions", if you will, was much wider than it is today. 

Hi,

I think a lot of this had to do with the rise of the Internet. I was involved in the very early Fido threads about progressive music, and while there were a lot of folks there that knew their stuff, there were a lot of folks that also had never heard of a lot of things.

In general, the Internet became the place to find and learn about any band, from anywhere, which is something that was not available before, and only a few magazines touched up a thing or two, and this made room for bad reviews, like in one specific magazine, it trashed Van der Graaf and Peter Hammill for not knowing how to sing ... let me tell you that I think that magazine went down to the pits in the next year or so ... and that folks that were on the fringe, all of a sudden woke up and spoke.

The internet, has been massive, for the revelation of what "progressive" is, and has been. Things kinda died in the 80's because there was not a whole lot of publicity about any music, but the Internet around 1990, pretty much changed history right there.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2024 at 08:00
Nothing says "I don't want drama" like spawning a sequel. 

Edited by The Dark Elf - April 13 2024 at 08:00
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2024 at 09:54
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Society has changed a lot - as I mentioned elsewhere, in the 90s there was more room for disagreement. The "corridor of allowable opinions", if you will, was much wider than it is today. 

Hi,

I think a lot of this had to do with the rise of the Internet. I was involved in the very early Fido threads about progressive music, and while there were a lot of folks there that knew their stuff, there were a lot of folks that also had never heard of a lot of things.

In general, the Internet became the place to find and learn about any band, from anywhere, which is something that was not available before, and only a few magazines touched up a thing or two, and this made room for bad reviews, like in one specific magazine, it trashed Van der Graaf and Peter Hammill for not knowing how to sing ... let me tell you that I think that magazine went down to the pits in the next year or so ... and that folks that were on the fringe, all of a sudden woke up and spoke.

The internet, has been massive, for the revelation of what "progressive" is, and has been. Things kinda died in the 80's because there was not a whole lot of publicity about any music, but the Internet around 1990, pretty much changed history right there.

Internet or not...there will always be a "Back In The Woods " mentality in the social environment where I live.

And that's Cumberland County. Vineland, Millville and Bridgeton, New Jersey

With music it all began in 1974 when Robin Trower Bridge Of Sighs was released. When Southern Rock went commercial unlike the Almann Brothers Band at the Fillmore East which had a Progressive edge to it.

Fiocchi...you're into Gong? Popol Vuh? Amon Duul II? That's why you're all F up in the head because you listen to Electronic Music and Prog. These were low life characters that Gary Busey often imitated. The world of CCR .

They were full of ignorant stupidity. If they noticed you read Harlan Ellison or Herman Hesse it usually meant that you were mentally challenged.

They couldn't understand my record collection.

"Yeah...Greenslade..is that a crayon company?"

"Yeah...Three Friends...wasn't that Newell, Williams & Sweikert at Menantico?"

"Yeah...Steve Hachett wasn't he an axe murderer?"

"Yeah..Art Zoyd..wasn't he Richard Ramirez?"

"Yeah...Pulsar ..is that your watch?"

"Yeah...Ange ..is that a fruit?"

Don't come here. Don't ever come here . Warning you. It's the most backwards place in America...Its an insult to the Southern United States where bands like Camel are respected and not thought to be the cigarettes..
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2024 at 10:17
^ Hey, John! You'll no doubt be pleased to know I've actually been blocked on other sites by users because of Harlan.

You know, the usual derision, my rebuttal, they throw out more crap about HE (while admitting they've never actually read him) and how he was a "troll," etc., etc.

When I try to actually cultivate a narrative, they shut down. Bugf*ck!

Art Zoyd = Richard Ramirez? What now?
Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2024 at 11:36
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

^ Hey, John! You'll no doubt be pleased to know I've actually been blocked on other sites by users because of Harlan.

You know, the usual derision, my rebuttal, they throw out more crap about HE (while admitting they've never actually read him) and how he was a "troll," etc., etc.

When I try to actually cultivate a narrative, they shut down. Bugf*ck!

Art Zoyd = Richard Ramirez? What now?

Hahahahaha! Omg...that is insane! All over Harlan? But I guess I'm not surprised anymore...anything goes I suppose? Wow that is truly anal though not unlike Mayslanding, New Jersey where people act as if John Fogerty is the next messiah. Or that Swamp Rock should be practiced 10 hours a day..Its not Mozart or Paganini..its Swamp Rock... 😃
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2024 at 13:50
At first, I thought this was a thread for those who were tired of listening to Trevor Horn's YES album. Tongue
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2024 at 14:01
I would argue that drama is a fundamental component of the universe, just like diapers and swirly straws.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>