Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What prog band did you recently discover?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2024 at 08:11
Yokono is a four-piece instrumental experimental rock band from Belgrade (Serbia).
Since its beginning in 2011, the band has been interested in true sound through live studio recording sessions, which has altogether affected the improvement of the band's music fashion as well as its approach to live exhibitions.
I just recently discovered Yokono, thanks to Svetonio from the Steve Hoffman forum. His instructive topic, "Ambient Rock Appreciation Thread," is actually where I dig this rather good Serbian underground group.
Here are two instrumentals taken from their debut album, "Bigz Live Studio Sessions," which was recorded in Bigz and released on Bandcamp in December 2018. 
There is a story behind it. Bigz was a government-owned but abandoned printing house and has served for years as a unique alternative cultural centre in downtown Belgrade, located in an originally beautiful Bauhaus-designed building built before World War II (see picture).

The recordings were made there. Many young Belgrade's bands practiced there, some very good recording analogue studios were there owned by enthusiasts, and many visual artists had their studios in the Bigz as well; it was something like a hippy commune, hence Bigz even brought a so-called New Belgrade scene of experimental rock, but the investment-urbanism-oriented mayor kicked them all out and sold the building to some private clinic from abroad, which will most likely tear it down and build more of a mockery of glass and steel.

However, the recordings and videos from Bigz, like these, will remain. Yokono stuff is available on Bandcamp, and I highly recommend it.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 12:03
Some newer bands:

Nospun (traditional prog metal)
Squeaky Feet
The Twenty Committee
The Foundation
Z Machine
K'Mono
Regna 
The Chronicles of Father Robin

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - April 24 2024 at 13:09
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2024 at 13:01
In recent years my best discovery was Catherine Ribiero + Alpes... their albums never made it to the UK back in the 70's so they had passed me by till just a few years ago.
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2024 at 07:42
Originally posted by Octopus II Octopus II wrote:

Thanks to Scot of 'The Prog Corner'. Smile

Reissue Of Mirthrandir – For You The Old Women - Progressive Rock Music  Forum

This makes my day!!!
The Prog Corner
AJ Junior View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AJ Junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2024 at 09:56
September- A Yugoslavian prog band from the 70's with two killer albums
"Together We Stand, Divided We Fall"
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2024 at 22:28
UK band The Bardic Depths. Only 3 albums so far and they've only been around a short time. They released their debut in March 2020 just as the pandemic was hitting hard but have continued on to their credit. The recent album 'What We Really Like in Stories' is a nice tightly written piece featuring Peter Jones and front man David Bandana. For fans of Big Big Train and The Tangent I would suggest.

Edited by richardh - April 25 2024 at 22:28
MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2024 at 09:44
Gilgamesh
Nucleus
(function(){if (!document.body) return;var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'8896a4c6cad2117f',t:'MTcxNjY1MTgzMy40OTYwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();
< height="1" width="1" style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: medium; visibility: ;">
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2024 at 10:26
Utopia (Todd Rundgren)
Them Moose Rush
Shamblemaths
Mercury Tree
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
UnderGround View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UnderGround Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2024 at 11:41
Methexis.
We have many nice rock/metal prog band here in Hellas.

Edited by UnderGround - May 25 2024 at 11:41
https://antonisadelfidis.bandcamp.com/album/zantea-chronicles-the-nightmare-awakens
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2024 at 13:49
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

heavy prog scene with the likes of Monkey3, Slift
please tell me do I need to recommend you my band or have you heard it already?

on topic:
Gojira (phenomenal, but I have this feeling this is the first AND the last time I'm listening to these albums)
Mansun (phenomenal, but only debut; the second one is so misguided and directionless, I barely stand it)
Toto (reading the book about Jeff Porcaro, so decided why not - good stuff!)
Wishbone Ash (surprisingly enjoying the late 70s-early 80s albums more than the classic ones)
Deyss (not as awful as everybody thinks they were, just dated)
PTS (really good but extremely unknown Dutch neo-prog from the mid-90s)

Edited by Prog-jester - May 25 2024 at 13:50
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2024 at 15:23
I just discovered THE VERY BIG EXPERIMENTAL TOUBIFRI ORCHESTRA, a pretty crazy band from France.

Here is a fun video from 2021.

We really have to add them to the Archives !!!
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2024 at 17:20
Monobody- Atala

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2024 at 23:23
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

heavy prog scene with the likes of Monkey3, Slift
please tell me do I need to recommend you my band or have you heard it already?

you seem to have a few so I've added the 2 Arlekin albums as they are more likely to be up my street Thumbs Up

I'm always doscovering new bands and thinking 'why haven't I heard of these guys before?!'. Anyway thanks for the recommendation.

Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

on topic:

Mansun (phenomenal, but only debut; the second one is so misguided and directionless, I barely stand it)

I actually like their last album the best Kleptomania. It was a belated release that was only finished after the band split up . It's closer to the alt rock sound of early 00's Porcupine Tree and could have been a small influence on Steven Wilson I suspect.
The album you refer to is Six. Quite a unique album I think but not for everyone. Little Kix (their 3rd) is by far their weakest album and would fit your description better I believe.
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog-jester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2024 at 05:58
hmm actually I checked and it's Six that I didn't like; Attack of the Grey Lantern is basically flawless for me though. Thanks for further Mansun recommendations!
Quote you seem to have a few
I do, I do hehe - but I was referring to my main band since you've mentioned our former labelmates (Monkey3) and our future tourmates (Slift)
Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floydoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2024 at 10:51
Brainticket
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2024 at 07:33
Originally posted by Octopus II Octopus II wrote:

Thanks to Scot of 'The Prog Corner'. Smile

Reissue Of Mirthrandir – For You The Old Women - Progressive Rock Music  Forum

YOU ARE WELCOME!!!
The Prog Corner
looktowindward View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote looktowindward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2024 at 04:51
Amskray - kinda prog-indie.
Catchy, fun and intricate stuff.

https://amskray.bandcamp.com/album/die-happy
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2024 at 05:09
Too many to mention, but I've discovered numerous great Italian bands recently, including Premiata Forneria Marconi, Le Orme and Banco del Mutuo Scorsese - which sounds like an Italian bank run by the mafia, who'll make you an offer of a loan you can't refuse. Smile
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2024 at 07:13
Hi,

Strange thought for me ... music is everywhere, and it's always about my recognizing it or not ... I can't exactly listen to it all, but some seems easier than others for me, but in the end, I have never, in 55 years, thought of it as discovering a band ... as much as it was about  how I related to the music itself, and how it affected me ... and some of these details you remember a lifetime. I can still remember the first minute I heard TD and how it scared me senseless ... I went right back to my headphones and Space Ritual. And later how so many bands confused my sense of organization in my head ... and that, in the end, was my greatest teacher of all in studying directing for theater and film. It wasn't about something that was designed ... it was about the experience of the moment, as free as possible from anything that was the rule of the design. 

And a lot of music, ended up doing things that film had been doing for over 10 years in terms of experiments ... but it in the past 20 years, it's like no one knows film, theater or any of the arts, consequently everything is just a song with a number attached to it.

It's not about me discovering it ... in the end, I say that it discovers me, as I wonder all over the universe and things hit me on the left, or the right ... or in the front and back .... but my "mental" acknowledgement of the music, art, or event, is often a lot less important than the experience itself ... 

Take the Bardo, ... you gonna tell me that you have to discover the doors, before you get to them? That's not how it's written ... the doors are there the whole time, but are you ready to see them and go through them? That's how I look at many of these things ... aside from the fact that I tend to say that there are no doors or dragons ... it's our imagination that creates "challenges" so we can feel like we are using our smarts and intelligence!

How can I discover, something that is already there?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2024 at 07:27
^ I don't now if you're trying to be sarcastic or you really do not understand the simple question in the thread title... Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>