Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Light Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: Which of these bands do you like the most?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
17 [32.69%]
16 [30.77%]
16 [30.77%]
3 [5.77%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 10:05
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I'd have to give it to ELO, they actually wrote songs .

Ditto.
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 13:59
APP
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 14:18
10CC! I can Feel the benefit
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 14:21
Alan Parson Project>Electric Light Orchestra> Asia> 10CC
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 15:46
ELO of course - Light is their middle name. 
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 22:37
10Ccc for me. Love that band and some of the Godley & creme albums. The Beach Boys of the seventies !
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2018 at 22:46

So did 10cc.
Kingsnake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingsnake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2018 at 01:32
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

You're safe here, curiously, the singer has excellent pronunciation (as much as I can be a judge on this matter, mind you, myself being portuguese)
If you can, try to listen to the tracks in their original sequence (the 2005 compilation even went to the extreme of splitting a single track on separate discs ????) and choose studio not live versions.

I always (ALWAYS!) listen to studio-albums in the original order/sequence. :D
I never listen to seperate tracks. Even when I have music on my headphones, and I arrived at my destination, and the song is not finished, I have to listen to the song finish, even if I have to wait outside somewhere. So I can start with the next song when I leave.

I only listen to compilations when they feature rare songs. So I will follow your suggestion ;)
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2018 at 05:06
^ Exactly like you, bro ! Wink
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2018 at 07:47
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

So did 10cc.

And APP. And I'm sure Asia did too.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2018 at 08:46
ELO....the first 4 are all good....later pop stuff didn't really interest me.  Alan Parsons was always hit or miss for me....10CC was a clever arty pop-rock band at times and to this day I still don't own any Asia.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2018 at 08:58
ELO > Asia> APP > 10CC
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2018 at 10:10
ELO!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2018 at 10:23
ELO was a tad too precious at times. APP was generously spotty along the way. I love 10cc for its musicianship and reassuring humor.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2018 at 12:02
I have a strong and profound respect and awe of the song writing legacy of Graham Gouldman, the 10cc docu when it talked about hes achievments and natural ability of song writing in the 60s makes me emotional. How natural hes ability of writing songs   is a very rare thing.

Edited by Icarium - April 24 2018 at 12:03
ReactioninG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReactioninG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2018 at 16:46
Note how this is close except for Asia, with only 3 votes out of 41 votes total. Downes and the late John Wetton tried so hard to revive the band's rep in recent years. Should've done a poll, light prog, which band had the best musicians ;p?
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2024 at 18:26
10cc
MFP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MFP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2024 at 18:28
ELO
RockHound View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RockHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2024 at 22:20
ELO is the only one of those bands I like at all. APP bores me to death, and the others just aren’t my bag.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2024 at 23:44
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

I have a strong and profound respect and awe of the song writing legacy of Graham Gouldman, the 10cc docu when it talked about hes achievments and natural ability of song writing in the 60s makes me emotional. How natural hes ability of writing songs   is a very rare thing.

Hi,

And more ... their history in music ... starting with Neil Sedaka ... I don't think that folks that look at 10CC as just a song band, really give a cahoot for the rest of their work ... they were not just a song band making hits! And one member wrote and directed a lot of music videos. AND they also worked tight with HIPGNOSIS in developing a lot of ideas, many of which became album covers for 10CC. "Po" speaks about it, in the Hipgnosis special ... but by that time 10CC was much more than just a bunch of street musicians ... way more ... more like special members of art school making fun of the music scene for their cheap art.

ELO is nice, but after Eldorado, I think it was over ... and sadly, when Roy Wood left, so did a lot of its personality and fun. It was a riot to see them do Roll Over Beethoven, but very boring in their later years just playing the hits and putting many of us to sleep!

APP was not interesting after the 2nd or 3rd album ... rehash!

Asia ... never had it in my collection ... at that time, the European scene was way more important for me than a band I did not think was that great and that was put together to simply carry the names and egos of the "stars" ... and take away some fine stuff, the rest was filler. 

Edited by moshkito - May 25 2024 at 23:48
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12