Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Articles about musical instruments

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Articles about musical instruments
    Posted: May 26 2024 at 14:20
Hi, since a few months ago I am collaborating with a catalan website dedicated to progressive and alternative rock, writing some articles about the musical instruments frequently used in the music we love so much, especially those profusely used by the prog giants in the 70s.

I'm including the link to that web section below. So far 10 articles have been published and a new one gets published every 4 or 5 weeks. Honestly I don't know how many I will finally write, we will see...

The articles are written in catalan but I have tested the translation into English by the google chrome web translation feature and the result, while not being perfect, is more than understandable (not meaning the Google Translate application but the chrome feature which translates the web page itself).

Please note that the articles appear in reverse order, that is, the first one (the Mellotron Part 1) is the one appearing at the bottom, the next one is the Mellotron Part 2, then the Birotron, then Chris Squire's triple-neck Wal, etc etc, while the latest one (the Minimoog) appears on top. I recommend reading them in order of publication, so from bottom to top.

I hope that you can find these articles interesting, and if you should have any questions or remarks I will be pleased to answer them, cheers!

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2024 at 13:42
Thanks, an interesting project!! 

You mention the Fender bass guitar, which certainly had many adherents in prog music (Greg Lake, John Wetton etc.).  I also think the amazing Rickenbacker 4001 deserves special inclusion, as its high-treble sound when played with plectrum and round-wound strings defined the music of Yes, Renaissance, Flash, Genesis, Rush and many others!   

Edited by cstack3 - May 27 2024 at 13:46
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2024 at 14:51

Edited by Moyan - May 28 2024 at 19:59
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2024 at 15:09
The contribution of these articles is far from finished, for sure I will talk about the Rickenbacker basses and much other stuff in future coming articles!
The present 10 articles are just a sort of appetizer!
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2024 at 15:33
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2024 at 16:06
Originally posted by Moyan Moyan wrote:

Hi,

You think that Klaus Schulze will ever get any recognition for some of that? A lot of these ARP's were his arsenal in the early days.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2024 at 17:07
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

You think that Klaus Schulze will ever get any recognition for some of that? A lot of these ARP's were his arsenal in the early days.

Or...Roger Powell?

Before Roger joined Todd Rundgren's Utopia, he recorded Cosmic Furnace (1973), a bar-raising electronic instrumental album composed on ARP synthesizers, along with piano/clavichord:

_Odyssey
_2600
_2500
_Soloist

https://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=6948

https://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=35751

Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2024 at 20:59
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 27 2024 at 23:07
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Or...Roger Powell?

Before Roger joined Todd Rundgren's Utopia, he recorded Cosmic Furnace (1973), a bar-raising electronic instrumental album composed on ARP synthesizers, along with piano/clavichord:

_Odyssey
_2600
_2500
_Soloist

Fully agree. Roger had also worked for ARP as engineer and programmer. He also developed the first keytar, his Probe, of which Jan Hammer also got a unit.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2024 at 00:11
[REDACTED]
tldr: Rickenbacker is greedy and I don't like the company

Edited by Hrychu - May 28 2024 at 00:27
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2024 at 00:30

Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2024 at 05:18

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2024 at 06:25
Originally posted by Moyan Moyan wrote:

Vivaldi with Cannons .... (from the live album!!!)
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2024 at 06:33

Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2024 at 06:49
Lol, this is not a fricking Theremin. It's literally a box with a knob on a hi-hat stand! 🤣🤣🤣 !

FYI, this is a Theremin. Notice this bent metal rod widget, which is a crucial part of the instrument's construction.

Edited by Hrychu - May 28 2024 at 06:55
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2024 at 06:58
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Lol, this is not a fricking Theremin. It's literally a box with a knob on a hi-hat stand! 🤣🤣🤣 !

FYI, this is a Theremin. Notice this bent metal rod widget, which is a crucial part of the instrument's construction.
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2024 at 07:02
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2024 at 07:05
I was partially joking, because, to be fair, the Theremin is a relatively simple device. And a hi-hat stand rod can actually act as an antenna. But, having the horizontal "volume" gizmo definitely helps. It's the original and the most common design, so experienced Thereminists can use it to its full potential. An adequate analogy would be say if a guitar player (traditional Theremin) was gonna play a Tsugaru Shamisen (Jimmy Page style Theremin). B)
— Ernest Vong
Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2024 at 07:25

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 28 2024 at 09:16
Originally posted by Gerinski Gerinski wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Or...Roger Powell?

_Odyssey
_2600
_2500
_Soloist

Fully agree. Roger had also worked for ARP as engineer and programmer. He also developed the first keytar, his Probe, of which Jan Hammer also got a unit.

Correct!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>