Topic ClosedGenesis - Gabriel Lies Down On Broadway

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Wrath_of_Ninian View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 19:36

ANd with that tirade, i just became a senior member!!  How apt... !

"Now all the seasons run together, and the middle days are gone..."
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 19:35
Originally posted by ivan_2068 ivan_2068 wrote:

Hey Wrath, do me a favour, listen Song for America once and the talk to me again.

Iván

NO.

PS: Sooner or later you'll start to like Nursery Cryme, Selling England (even though is the weaker Gabriel Genesis album IMHO) and you'll start to hate the name Phil Collins when refered to any activity different to playing drums.

Iván

I ALREADY hate him, and his drumming....

You never hear him mentioned in "Who's The Best Drummer" Polls

Di Cioccio could fall off his drum stool and it would still sound more apt than Collins' contributions.  That said, The Lamb Lies Down (including Collins) works for some reason, and I'm still coming to terms with this... 

Sorry Ivan, I was a teenager in the late 1980s when Collins was everywhere - I still remember that You Cant Hurry Love video where he played all the instruments  

But my hatred was compounded when he got up from his piano at Live Aid US having foisted the opening bars of In The Air Tonight upon a disinterested crowd, many of whom were making for the pie stall, before he INTRODUCED my beloved Led Zeppelin as "some friends of his...."      I have NEVER forgiven Jimmy Page for that, and have hated that smug cockney g*t Collins ever since.   

Valarius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 19:00
Originally posted by Wrath_of_Ninian Wrath_of_Ninian wrote:

Can you pop over and ask him why he wrote 'Sledgehammer'? 

Sure.

Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 18:54

ClapClap

That's the best post this year! LOLLOL

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 18:41

Hey Wrath, do me a favour, listen Song for America once and the talk to me again.

Iván

PS: Sooner or later you'll start to like Nursery Cryme, Selling England (even though is the weaker Gabriel Genesis album IMHO) and you'll start to hate the name Phil Collins when refered to any activity different to playing drums.

Iván

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 17:33

Yep. 

Sorry, was I supposed to be swayed into the Kansas camp by that?  I appreciate the cool clip Garion (I can't even master uploading my own pictures yet...!), but Kansas are just everything I hate about the prog genre.  They epitomise everything I try to play down when my contemporaries lay their boots into the genre for supposedly being pretentious and elitist.  But worse than this, I actually DO dislike it - it sounds vapid and stale - music for music's sake. Making a living rather than living the dream.  There's no passion in the voices, there's no feeling in the lyrics - its utter pretense, and it plays into the hands of those who think prog is worthless. For that, it should be demonised!

Sorry Garion, I cant even bring myself to listen to Magnum Opus again (which was the best track by a considerable distance).  Indeed, were it not for the considerable support they seem to get on this site, I would be calling for their dismissal from the Archives altogether.  Most of that album sounds like Lynard Skynard (is that how you spell it?)

Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 16:52

Wrath of Ninian wrote:

Quote This is YOUR fault Ivan - if we'd not had that fight, I'd never have gone back to listen to them again and they'd be resting in my "Vault of the Don't Waste Your Time" along with Kansas, Styx, Alan Parsons, and all 80s prog.

Don't be unfair Wrath, we never fought, we only had a discussion, but today I'm proud of a job well done

I'll wait a few weeks to introduce you to the wonders of Kansas, band that you unfairly lump with Styx and late Alan Parsons. Hope I will succeed again.

God I feel like the Evangelist of the hated bands.

Iván

You lawyers take everything so literally - it was actually meant in an endearing way...!

ANyway, credit where credit is due Ivan - I grant you that your undying determination to defend the Genesis camp from the word 'rubbish', was certainly behind me getting ahold of the Lamb again, if only to try and rubbish it formally!  And it backfired on me...!!   But do not rest on your laurels , for I have decided that the other Gabriel albums are nowhere near as good, and in fact, with the exception of some sublime moments on Foxtrot, they are vastly inferior.  

With regards to Kansas, please don't bother.  I listened to Leftoverture yesterday, and it is the worst thing I've heard since Cliff Richard.  Sugary sweet M.O.R., A.O.R., C.R.A.P. with some of the most horrifically bad lyrics, smattered like Nutella over a brioche of bog-standard riffage in a strawberry milkshake of mono-dynamic pop schmultz.  It churned my stomach, Ivan .      

Then try this WON. Sound quality is not great but you should get the general idea. :

http://rich-williams.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuild erfiles/1974_The_Pinnacle.wmv

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 12:40
Good for you Ivan, however, Genesis are still not pretentious or bombastic enough for me...
THIS IS ELP
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 12:35

Wrath of Ninian wrote:

Quote This is YOUR fault Ivan - if we'd not had that fight, I'd never have gone back to listen to them again and they'd be resting in my "Vault of the Don't Waste Your Time" along with Kansas, Styx, Alan Parsons, and all 80s prog.

Don't be unfair Wrath, we never fought, we only had a discussion, but today I'm proud of a job well done

I'll wait a few weeks to introduce you to the wonders of Kansas, band that you unfairly lump with Styx and late Alan Parsons. Hope I will succeed again.

Iván

You lawyers take everything so literally - it was actually meant in an endearing way...!

ANyway, credit where credit is due Ivan - I grant you that your undying determination to defend the Genesis camp from the word 'rubbish', was certainly behind me getting ahold of the Lamb again, if only to try and rubbish it formally!  And it backfired on me...!!   But do not rest on your laurels , for I have decided that the other Gabriel albums are nowhere near as good, and in fact, with the exception of some sublime moments on Foxtrot, they are vastly inferior.  

With regards to Kansas, please don't bother.  I listened to Leftoverture yesterday, and it is the worst thing I've heard since Cliff Richard.  Sugary sweet M.O.R., A.O.R., C.R.A.P. with some of the most horrifically bad lyrics, smattered like Nutella over a brioche of bog-standard riffage in a strawberry milkshake of mono-dynamic pop schmultz.  It churned my stomach, Ivan .      

Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 11:50

Originally posted by Valarius Valarius wrote:

Peter Gabriel's recording studio is about a 20 minute drive from my house.

Let us know if you see 4 other cars pulling up there, and some old guys with guitars, keyboards and drums getting out!Wink

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 11:17

Wrath of Ninian wrote:

Iván

sober7 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 08:47
 I meant to say that I have seen THE MUSICAL BOX. Has anyone else here seen this band. Since we can't see the original Genesis, this band is the next best thing. They are doing the Lamb tour presently, if they play in your area, go see them.
mirco View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 07:55

Or Shock the monkey...But overall, Gabriel is one of the finest artist on the rock scene. One of the fews that falls on the genius category.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 05:59

Valarius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 05:46
Peter Gabriel's recording studio is about a 20 minute drive from my house.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 04:48
Originally posted by sober7 sober7 wrote:

Hi, new here.  Just don't understand how you can be a fan of prog-rock and not like Genesis, and especially Peter Gabriel. I recomend you have a listen to it all. Every album they have done has a couple of good songs on them. My preference is the Gabriel era, wish I had of seen them then. Have

I've had a listen to them all Sober7 and as you said, parts of them are really good.  More may grow on me, but I know what I like and I like what I.... 

I'm kind of wishing I'd seen them then too (I'm 32 and only really grew up to COllins era mince) - all I know is what I saw on that Prog Rock Top Ten with Gabriel dressed as a flower. 

By the way, have what? 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 04:43

Originally posted by threefates threefates wrote:

Poor Ninian... you fell so easily!!  So sad

I know, it didn't take very much - couple of listens really.  I'm not coping well with this.

I'm still having trouble stomaching Nursery Cryme, SEBTP and the later ones, but the Lamb Lies Down and Foxtrot have some really good moments.  I'd never reached the second CD of Lamb before, in fact, I'd never got to the end of the first one, and I think forcing myself to listen to the whole thing is what did it. 

I also think the timing was right - I've been listening to the same things for years and have been hard pushed to find anything of the standard of PFM that I can alternate between.  ELP sometimes fill in, but I can only play a few compilations I've made as their horror moments make me homicidal   !!  Genesis aren't quite up there with PFM, but bits of it do have a similar 'feel' (what a crap analogy!!).  

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 04:34

As Jethro said before, Peter assumed the chatracter of RAEL, a young Puerto Rican troubled kid, so he uses the New York accent, one of his main talents was assuming different characters and voices during his songs and albums.

Try Battle for the Epping Forest and you'll here 10 or more different voices or personas all interpreted by Gabriel.

By the way, I TOLD YOU....Sooner or later you'll be a Genesis fan, welcome to the Genesis family 

Iván

This is YOUR fault Ivan - if we'd not had that fight, I'd never have gone back to listen to them again and they'd be resting in my "Vault of the Don't Waste Your Time" along with Kansas, Styx, Alan Parsons, and all 80s prog.

Edited by Wrath_of_Ninian
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2005 at 04:30

Originally posted by Rob The Good Rob The Good wrote:

You should never be ashamed of liking Genesis...unless it's 80s pop Genesis

They should have changed their name when Gabriel left.  DEUTERONOMY or something.  Then again when Hackett left - CHRONICLES. 

tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2005 at 23:17

Welcome Sober7 (the seven stands for 7 days a week I presume).

Your first post, and already so on the mark, impressive.

I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>