Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFor those who claim music is dying.....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: For those who claim music is dying.....
    Posted: December 17 2014 at 07:58
... I'm afraid the simple answer is to buy an instrument, learn, and play better music. Relying on others to do it for you is very, er, variable. ;-)

Anyone have a contrary view ? I'm afraid it is.... reality..... ;-)

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 08:13
Reports of music's death have been greatly exaggerated.  Smile
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 08:23
Absolutely. Looking at the amount of instruments being played in my house, and the amount of CDs that drop in asking for reviews or just listening - very much exaggerated.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Metalmarsh89 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 08:36
The listeners are dying. I think we've sometimes confused the two.
Want to play mafia? Visit here.
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 09:26
^ isn't that true .. music was not born yesterday and it will not die tomorrow. Not before I do, anyway.  

Worst case scenario: the mass consumer will stop buying quality music altogether, which they kind of already did. We the PA people may have to cough up more for CDs, let's say $20-$25.00 instead of typically $10.00-$12.00 for (but that's how much you'd have paid in the 70s, in today's money).  

Many full-time musicians may have to take day jobs to support themselves and their music, but that's an inconvenience and not death. 

Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 10:00
It's not the death of music. But as an artist I've spent 14,000$ recording 2 albums in the course of 14 months. I won't be able to record another album for maybe a year due to lack of money. I expect to see somewhere around zero dollars return. I already have another album written. I won't be able to record it in a real studio... so I have to use home studio equipment which won't sound as good... if I didn't have to work a job and made just enough (about 30,000$) per year I would be able to put out a nice studio quality album and 2 homemade albums per year.

As artists we are beaten down and unable to get all of our ideas out because lack of time and money. And because of that we can't spend any money on promotion because we would rather make more music with that money... meaning that no one will hear it anyway.

The cycle of life...
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 10:14
By the time I learn to play all the instruments needed to make music I like.....I will have been dead more than 10yrs. Big smile
There is too much great music being made to believe that music is dying....To Smurph point some of these bands just cannot put out the volume anymore due to costs. So it seems the quality of work is better......
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 10:29
Originally posted by Smurph Smurph wrote:

It's not the death of music. But as an artist I've spent 14,000$ recording 2 albums in the course of 14 months. I won't be able to record another album for maybe a year due to lack of money. I expect to see somewhere around zero dollars return. I already have another album written. I won't be able to record it in a real studio... so I have to use home studio equipment which won't sound as good... if I didn't have to work a job and made just enough (about 30,000$) per year I would be able to put out a nice studio quality album and 2 homemade albums per year.

As artists we are beaten down and unable to get all of our ideas out because lack of time and money. And because of that we can't spend any money on promotion because we would rather make more music with that money... meaning that no one will hear it anyway.

The cycle of life...

Yeah.  While we can do our bit to keep music of some sort alive by playing instruments, if recording albums or performing live is going to be a dire prospect financially, and thus eventually dissuade people from taking it up seriously, it is going to require a cultural adjustment for a certain generation of people who grew up when music was more at the mainstream of culture.   On the flipside, the economy is so bad and entry level pay in so called desk jobs is so unappetizing that there may well be more people working a low level day job and also pursuing music part time (whereas a full time desk job might occupy them too much for them to keep up their commitment to music).  Put this way, it sounds more palatable than it actually is, admittedly.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 10:38
Unfortunately rap artists are all united they will prosper no doubt while prog musicians have to deal with fellow snobs who have an urge critique  Wink
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 10:56
From what I've seen, music is in fact becoming a bigger and bigger industry as time goes by. Maybe people are looking at little things in way too big a light. Wink
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 10:58
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

By the time I learn to play all the instruments needed to make music I like.....I will have been dead more than 10yrs. Big smile 
Let me guess: some of the instruments that may be needed for making your music properly haven't even been invented (yet?) Geek
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 11:24
Actually, to be a bit more constructive than in my earlier post: in The Netherlands we have a number of institutes who you could classify as higher level education in rock and pop music, where young musicians not only get trained in at least 2 instruments (voice is also an instrument), but also in the business side of music. Some of them become relatively successful (look up the Dutch band Krezip, if you don't mind 'pop'), others find their niche (the bass player for Exivious for example, or the guy who runs a private music school around the corner from where I live). 

Music's not dead.

ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 11:51
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Let me guess: some of the instruments that may be needed for making your music properly haven't even been invented (yet?) Geek

No....There is not enough time for me to learn how to play them better than the music I already listen to..Plus I have no desire to learn to play. I played the clarinet, drums and percussion in school thru 8th grade....that was enough.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 12:10
Music will never die. Music as a big business has always been a walking corpse from my perspective. 
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 12:21
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Unfortunately rap artists are all united they will prosper no doubt while prog musicians have to deal with fellow snobs who have an urge critique  Wink

Why can't the prog community get along like the hip hop community? Its so sad to think about all the blood feuds that have resulted in prog artists getting gunned down in the street.Shocked
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 12:27
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Why can't the prog community get along like the hip hop community? Its so sad to think about all the blood feuds that have resulted in prog artists getting gunned down in the street.Shocked
hahaha love your dramatization, gunned down in the streets LOL prog peeps are too opinionated to be honest, my mom told me never to discuss politics, religion or sports but now it seems prog too, also new bands are snubbed as "they have not paid their dues yet if you will, even if they are blimmin' brilliant :) " Hug
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 12:33

Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

No....There is not enough time for me to learn how to play them better than the music I already listen to..Plus I have no desire to learn to play. I played the clarinet, drums and percussion in school thru 8th grade....that was enough.

It's not about playing as well as the groups you listen to. I usually listen to batsh*t crazy music that I couldnt play myself but that doesn't stop me from having a musical vision. An original vision is 100% better than skill. Just ask Joe Satriani and his absolutely unoriginal bullsh*t band chickenfoot
Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 12:39
Music isn't dying.  Prog isn't even dying.

The music industry has changed since the 60s and 70s.
In the 60s, most labels were independent.  And they had music lovers searching for artists that were new and exciting, who were also marketable.  And the public was open to wildly different, and even experimental song stylings.  The counterculture, while starting as an underground phenomenon, became popular culture, bringing along the psychedelic, the acid rock, folk, and even prog.  It was not unusual to turn on a radio and hear Roger Miller singing "King Of The Road", followed by Cream or the Moody Blues.

In the 70s, the strong independent labels were being acquired by what was to become the "major labels".  Early on, the majors allowed their subsidiaries to continue their signing of unique bands, and the prog years flourished.  The major labels soon became corporate giants, and the risky artist signing slowed to a trickle, only to be used as "loss leaders", part of a scheme where albums would be recorded and poorly marketed, and reported to the tax collectors at inflated costs, and used to offset paying higher taxes on successful releases. 

Disco and punk, and then later, new wave, hip-hop, grunge, etc. proved to be a way to sell music to people without the difficulty of creating more artistic music.  All of these were heavily cross marketed through movies, television, in ads for unrelated products, and eventually the Internet.  All the while, the major labels were still merging into fewer and fewer entities, and all were only focused on music that could be sold as if they were Big Macs.

Independent labels still existed, and occasionally one of these managed to sign an artist that managed to break through the corporate wall.

It's the Internet that has breathed new life into all of the non-pop music styles.  There are sites for people to discover new orchestral music, jazz, folk, and even our precious prog.  An artist need not belong to the monolith major labels to get heard, they need only have someone savvy enough to get the word out on a site for their target audience to become known.  Maybe not well-known in the traditional sense, but known to those of us who would like their music.

Meanwhile, the corporate music, or "corpses", are now delivering cookie cutter pop idols, all selling generic sex, and performing songs ghost written by a handful limited range songwriters.

Music isn't dying.  You just have to find it.
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 13:14
Popular music started in the 18th Century. There's no way that any changes shorter than several decades would be able to kill it off.
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2014 at 13:42
Music isn't dying, the music industry's just growing. A tiny percent of everything nowadays is being over-produced, over-advertised, just to make safe money. There's tons of talented musicians, but very few are being given the chances to get a contract or promote an album. Live Evolver said, you've just got to find good music, and everyone who can't just isn't looking deep enough. There was definitely a golden era back in the 70s, but it's a whole new palette of sounds, instruments, and technology now. I mean, music is meant to progress (not just in prog) which is what both the music industry should be encouraging to a certain level, and what these retired rockers (Gene Simmons or whoever) are refusing to accept.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>