Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
34 [70.83%]
9 [18.75%]
5 [10.42%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are captchas killing PA?
    Posted: June 10 2017 at 04:49
Are the robot captcha tests killing PA?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2017 at 06:07
We'll never know the answer if the voters are denied access Shocked(I just spoiled my ballot paper)
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2017 at 06:20
LOL Vey good. Tis true, but with social media, I believe we still gauge what's happening.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2017 at 06:43
Killing it Steve?  Nah man... you can't kill what was already dead.  The site has been an animated corpse of its early days when people were involved, discussion (real discussion) ruled, and the site was populated with people who knew prog rock, not just fans of certain groups.

The site and accompanied stench of rot and decay are merely the symptom of the larger decomposition of the prog rock revival and the internet scene that formed around because of it of the late 90's early 00's which spawned the site. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2017 at 06:54
Yes, the days of the wild west gunslinger were before my time, micky, but I believe I would not have enjoyed people arguing about Zappa being prog, RIO (or rock in reverse as my wife used to call it), and avant/whatever/noise prog. But I always was vanilla type of guy. LOL

Edited by SteveG - June 10 2017 at 06:55
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2017 at 07:18
yeah they were great days...  but the point stands.  Captcha didn't kill the PA's.. it has been dead for many years. On a reanimated cruise control in which the site really exists as a chat site.  Which also is my point.. it also reflects the death of the prog revival of 20 years ago...which sites like this served as meeting places where old codgers met and newbies flocked.  The music itself isn't dead obviously.. but the sense of a prog scene or unified community has largely died. Bands don't care about added here.. they don't care about being part of the prog scene as they once did.. and the fans.. ehhh.. it is music. Great music.. bad music.. you take them individually based on the music.. not any underlying genre tribe.  Who cares what it is called....
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2017 at 07:35
I tried to reply to this thread around 2 hours ago and you would never guess what happened.....
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2017 at 07:39
No, what? The prog scene died out two hours ago, as micky suggested? LOL
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2017 at 08:00
PA as such NO, forum activity YES for sure

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2017 at 10:38
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Killing it Steve?  Nah man... you can't kill what was already dead.  The site has been an animated corpse of its early days when people were involved, discussion (real discussion) ruled, and the site was populated with people who knew prog rock, not just fans of certain groups.

The site and accompanied stench of rot and decay are merely the symptom of the larger decomposition of the prog rock revival and the internet scene that formed around because of it of the late 90's early 00's which spawned the site.  

All other forums have LIKE buttons for posts, PA does not. I would venture to guess it has been "dead" for about 2 years.

Threads are not even threads, merely 2-3 posts and then done. If I read the members online at the bottom correctly, lately it has been like maybe 100 or so, and that prolly includes people who just login and stay on during the day.

I agree with micky, PA has been dead but really so is prog rock. I mean come on guys they are all dying on us, what is left is not prog rock. I mean heck even micky's fav artist Steven Wilson's next album is not prog!! LOL

Essentially we are getting Cold Play and Linkin Park with some mellotron and melancholy lyrics and people call it prog rock....

Even our Vinyl thread is dead, which is 98% of why I come here. That one is dead 100% due to captcha, posting pics of our plays and buys/finds of great vinyl is waaaaaaayyyyyy too cumbersome. I won't do it anymore, sorry to all my vinyl buddies.Cry

Steve, find another site believe me there is spirited conversation about real prog elsewhere.

(Had to post this 2x due to captcha Angry)
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2017 at 11:51
Discussion forums are a thing of the past, this site is one of the few left. Websites are mostly used for looking up informaton anymore, even old website discussions are used mostly as a source of info.
Also, I would imagine whatever Max is guarding this site against would probably kill this site faster than any captcha hassles, otherwise I doubt he would even bother with using the defense.

Edited by Easy Money - June 10 2017 at 11:54
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2017 at 13:20
No, people who want to continue to contribute will. People who want to repeatedly write the same BS posts about some perceived halcyon prog revival that fit their own parameters of the way things should be, will. 
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2017 at 14:41
Originally posted by Rivertree Rivertree wrote:

PA as such NO, forum activity YES for sure

exactly.
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2017 at 14:51
Originally posted by Tapfret Tapfret wrote:

No, people who want to continue to contribute will. People who want to repeatedly write the same BS posts about some perceived halcyon prog revival that fit their own parameters of the way things should be, will. 

Have to agree. There is nothing more pitiful than nostalgia for something that never even occurred in the first place.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2017 at 15:41
I have no idea if there was ever a "prog revival", but discussion forums on any subject, musical or otherwise, are mostly a thing of the past. A few linger on, but many have been shut down over the past few years due to dwindling participation. This is true of non-musical sites as well.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2017 at 17:37

This about a million times over, despite the delusion some of the `f*cking rock stars of the Prog Archives' will have you believe
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2017 at 23:00
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

This about a million times over, despite the delusion some of the `f*cking rock stars of the Prog Archives' will have you believe

If you read their posts backwards they contain satanic messages saying 'go to Progressive Ears' 'marry an Italian' 'Max is the antichrist'Shocked
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2017 at 23:21
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

If you read their posts backwards they contain satanic messages saying 'go to Progressive Ears' 'marry an Italian' 'Max is the antichrist'Shocked

Odd, I've been fighting the urge to blow up my neighbour's house and have relations with mules, guess the subliminal backwards messages in those posts have a different effect on everyone!
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2017 at 07:57
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

I have no idea if there was ever a "prog revival"

sure there was....  easy to see if one only takes the time to look and think about it.

just as much as the end of it was easy to see .. if only one takes the time to look and think about it. That is why Captcha isn't to blame for killing PA's.. blame for what...  decreasing activity on a dying site that had become more a general chat site than what it once was.. the place to go for Prog Rock.  It's decline in enthusiasm, activity both in the old guard and influsion of new blood...and all that jazz started ..well.. .around the time the unified prog scene fell apart and fractured....

for the umptenth time...  in all my years online here, and before that at other sites.. I've never seen a more insightful post.. written by one who was in the front lines of the prog revival of the late 90's.

Originally posted by Jacob Jacob wrote:

I'm just going to chime in on the original post, dunno what's been discussed over all these pages.
I whole-heartedly applaud every prog festival organizer who has ever walked the earth for their amazing contribution to the entire prog revival. Without people like Rob and Chad and Greg and Steve and George and the rest, a lot of us in prog bands would simply be nowhere. Progfest and NEARfest in particular have been essential to the growth of Scandinavian prog in the 90's and noughties.

It just seems that the time has come now for prog to find a new way. The festivals have become, as was mentioned, nostalgia get-togethers. They have been artificial life-lines for stagnant acts, rather than fertile grounds for new, exciting acts. And those organizers who have tried to feature some new blood have been punished by a rather backwards-looking audience. As with NEARfest this year. I don't think blaming either the audience, the organizers or the bands has any virtue. What I think, is that the prog umbrella for too long has tried to shelter two very different things under its shade: On the one hand, the nostalgia scene, which features both the old acts that are still around, like Yes and whatever Italian band you care to mention, and "old-new" bands like Flower Kings and Transatlantic - bands that, though newish, cater mostly to very conservative audiences. On the other hand, the new progressive scene, which could include anything from The Mars Volta to Gösta Berlings Saga, and which really isn't a scene at all, especially considering that many of the bands themselves have no awareness of being part of a "prog scene". These two strands really are extremely different. There's plenty of people with a love for both (including, to a certain extent, myself). But to throw the typical fans of both scenes (the former, ageing, follicle-challenged geezers - bless'em all!, the latter young, dynamic listeners brought up to endless eclecticism and irreverence to genres - bless them too!), might just be too much of a stretch. Maybe it's time for a divorce. Let the geezers have their nostalgia-fests, and let the "new prog" bands get out on the regular rock circuit and compete with any other rock genres out there rather than put them in the geriatric ward of "prog" where the smell of old age will make them unpalatable to both the rock media and the major labels. No disrespect to either!!! :-)

And as an a propos: Prog labels that sign new, fresh and exciting bands should be careful how they market and present the bands. Selling them in the traditional way ("washes of mellotrons, recall Eloy in their heyday, rave reception at Bolivia Art Rock Fest (BARF)") will, quite simply, sell them short. It's a new world out there.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2017 at 09:29
^ this may be true, but its also true that discussion forums in general are a thing of the past. On sites both musical and non-musical, discussion forums are being shut down due to dwindling participation.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>