Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Introduce me to Krautrock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Introduce me to Krautrock
    Posted: November 17 2018 at 15:54
So, my heritage is German, I speak a little German, I read German rather well, and I just love basically all things German.

Krautrock has so far been no exception though I'm having issues knowing where to start. My first introduction was just Floh de Cologne's "Mumien" which I absolutely love, and am looking for more along those lines. Love the spoken bits (which is odd because in other prog it drives me up the walls), love the sprechstimme, the shouted vocals, the driving bass guitar etc.

Suggestions for more Krautrock along the Mumien lines?
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon. -- Pink Floyd
philipemery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2018 at 10:05
In particular, really wanting bands that only sing in German too. I love listening to German being sung.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2018 at 11:25
I'd love to recommend some kraut, but you made it a little difficult with your specific preference.  
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2018 at 11:36
I think one of our German members may have to help you with this one

Maybe one of the Baldies could help?
Songs cast a light on you
philipemery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philipemery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2018 at 12:30
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

I'd love to recommend some kraut, but you made it a little difficult with your specific preference.  

Any Kraut you got is fine with me. I am really just starting with the genre, so I am really open.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2018 at 12:47
philipemery, this is krautrock. Krautrock, philipemery. I'll leave you two to get acquainted.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2018 at 14:49
Although my exposure to Krautrock is very small, one album I do like is Faust IV.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2018 at 14:56
I thought I had posted earlier but somehow this got lost. Don't know Mumien and unfortunately for a long time it wasn't really fashionable to sing in German because people would then always associate it with Deutscher Schlager, the most terrible German language mainstream genre.

Anyway, in my view the two most essential Krautrock albums are Amon Düül II's Yeti and Can's Tago Mago. Hardly any German language on these, though. If you want to explore bands from their beginnings, start with Phallus Dei (AD II; this has a bit of German) and Monster Movie (Can). Clearly less mature and more "tentative" than Yeti and Tago Mago, but both are good fun, innovative and experimental.

The prime German language prog band (after their first English language album) are probably Novalis, although they're more symphonic than Kraut; they're very romantic and not that experimental, but the musicality and taste of their arrangements are second to none (except the drums, which is not their strong point). Their second album Novalis and end 70s Flossenengel are their best in my opinion; Sommerabend has a very special atmosphere and many think that this is their number one.

Grobschnitt is a fun band and they have a German language version of their quirky Jumbo album. Also their Solar Music live album is one of the pillars of Kraut rock.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2018 at 15:03
My favorite band is Germany's Triumvirat, but, alas, they are Symphonic, and not really krautrock.
       My favorite krautrock band is an obscure one, German Oak. Though mainly instrumental, kind of in the vein of Amon Duul 2, but I like German Oak more.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 00:35
Just remembered Kraan's debut - sung in German and tons of fun:

-they may have turned more fusion later (like Embryo) but I think of this as Krautrock (original album is over after track no. 5)
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 05:18
Hi,

Welcome ... thanks for posting.

There is a side of "krautrock" that is unusual, which I think helped it come alive. Language is one of them and an important part of the process that created "krautrock" with its improvisations.

It's "name" was created by an English Press. The other situation is that the main audience for many of these bands was somewhere else, as it was well known and understood that German musical companies did not care much for their own bands. There are many articles on this, in many books. Essentially, I think that many of these bands knew that they had to sing in English if they wanted to get past their bar status, for lack of a better term for them. Or at least have a slight chance to get an inch of dollar bills from America ... the golden rainbow in all of this for anyone that could get there (... not really ... but .... dreams are hard to dispel!).

There are a few things that are in German, and some have been mentioned. I would like to add the band NOVALIS, however the sad side of it, and I still have those albums, is that for most of us, what is being said is kinda lost, even if you know the philosophy a bit by looking up Wiki or similar. I felt empty ... came away with a pair of nice albums, and had no idea what it was they were really about.

The other is, that "krautrock", essentially, despite its various different stages and areas of livelihood (David Stubbs' Future Days is recommended reading!), was a lot less about the language, than it was about something else ... and that something else probably had a little similarity to some film, theater and writing, and other arts, for which "krautrock" offered many folks experimenting and doing bizarre things on stage ... some do not like the crazy guitar sounds that Ax Gernrich created for Guru Guru, but they were not the only guitarist doing that kind of stuff ... there were many others in Berlin, also performing, solo or otherwise, and eventually they gave way to things like Neu and Kraftwerk, and then ... you geet Faust.

The hard thing to tell a rock audience, and sometimes the comments here are strictly about rock music, and are not connected to the other arts or the contemporaries, friends, and relations to many of these folks ... and this is scary to me, when you become aware of a lot of German Theater and Film, that really was much more "independent" and different, within the world market, and some of it had more in common with the early side of "krautrock" than we allow them to have credit for.

I like to ask folks if they think that the improvisations by Damo Suzuki are any different than those by Klaus Kinski. And the answer is NO. One was recorded with a camera, and the other was recorded with a microphone ... but sadly, a lot of the early German film was only seen in Film Festivals, and not many folks, do not know Herzog, from Wenders, from Fassbinder, all of which are/were extremelly well known for open camera shooting and parts of their story with no script ... there is a joke in England that Mike Leigh likes to allow his actors to "die" with no script and notes ... guess what Fassbinder had done before, and then Herzog ... all of which had been done for at least 10 years in France, by Godard.

Introducing you to this, is not easy. I would like to make some suggestions, but telling you to go listen to Phallus Dei, is not as valuable and interesting a concept as it is knowing that they had just split a large commune, and that this particular piece is quite obviously a comment about the commune. You get stoned, you have sex and then party some more. It is also hard to see how/what Faust did, in their very early albums, which you and I would consider kid stuff and just crazy/stoned fun ... and who cares what it meant. The same thing was happening in theater at least with one writer (Handke) that was writing "word" plays, with no sentences, no meanings and no "communication" as we know it, and yet, directed correctly that actually works, despite it just being a one act play or two.

The experimentation is what all this is about ... and it was that spirit which brought out the incredible amount of arts that it did ... sadly we only think of rock music, and not all the other arts that were/are around it, and the rock press is not capable/willing to do this ... a Can fanboy (so to speak -- not meant to sound bad), is not going to see 4 Herzog films (ohh my God, what is Popol Vuh doing here?), 3 Wenders films or 2 Fassbinder films, let alone go to the theater to see a Handkle play, or a Weiss play (even though his fame came in England!) ... or some others that were experimenting with voice in theatrical circles.

It's hard to believe that a rock listening audience would never see/care for any of this ... it's a part of the culture and what helped create it ... and it should not be left behind. But saying that Guru Guru (just as an example) was inspired by Chuck Berry or some one else ... really fails to hit the biggest mark about what that band was about, and its many political rallies against the divided Germany ... something that we grossly ignore and avoid like another brick in the wall!

All of these suggestions are magnificent ... and I want to add a different/odd one that is  definitely a wonderful example of how some of these folks lived, and played and were different many times. There is a remastered version of "Solar Music Live" and in it there are several versions of the same piece, and while the "theme" is the same, the thing is actually different and still enjoyable to no one. 

In many ways, this is what "krautrock" was about ... the problem being that a top ten listener will likely not handle it, because it changes too much and is too weird and does not follow the well known status that the public, seemingly (including here) demands time and time again ... just remember ... "krautrock" is not about a SOUND, or a guitar, or this or that ... it is a very specific experimental mood with a great desire ... to be FREE ... of musical constraints.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 10:51
Some must haves

Amon Düül II - Yeti (defies any description)
Can - Tago Mago (the most hypnotic drums with inhuman precision ever)
Grobschnitt - Solar Music (never ending live trip)
Dzyan - Electric Silence (what the title says)
Agitation Free - Malesch (smoke some north African Kraut)
Guru Guru - Känguru (just weird)
Hoelderlin - Traumstadt (Violin driven Space Trips)

There ain't much German sung Kraut.

As already mentioned try Grobschnitt (only some albums) Novalis (try Konzerte old songs with much better new vocalist) or the very late Anyone's Daughter (not Kraut but Prog though)

Most of this one is in German

Edited by TheH - November 19 2018 at 11:01
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 10:56
^There was mention of Dzyan; they are one of my all time favorite groups, and should not be overlooked. I guess, I didn't mention them, as I kind of feel they are more linked to jazz rock fusion than krautrock. 

Edited by presdoug - November 19 2018 at 10:57
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2018 at 13:43
Start here.....
http://www.progarchives.com/subgenre.asp?style=17

Edited by dr wu23 - November 19 2018 at 13:44
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2019 at 00:08
Is this question still open? I have a few German language tunes in my collection such as "Sensemann" by Franz K (the singing comes in after some 8 minutes of smashing their way through a bit of Beethoven but there's another 10 minutes to go) and could list some more. I'm glad I looked that up now as it was on a compilation and I don't have the other 20 minute track from the album but notice Amazon have the MP3 downloads priced as for regular short tracks - I might risk a pound on it later Wink.

Edited by 2dogs - January 05 2019 at 08:26
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2019 at 07:51
Krautrock is a rather broad umbrella term. You can have freeform space rock or more structured blues rock with progressive touches. The German language is rare in the sub because English was becoming the norm at the tiem it was becoming popular. Nevertheless there were a few bands that sang in their native tongue.

I assume that if you are new to it then you prefer something on the melodic side so here are a couple suggestions.

Hanuman followed up with an even more commerical sounding album under the band name Lied des Teufels

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2019 at 13:34
Where are the Baldies? They might have dismissed me as 'mainstream', but I do miss their presence on the forum! Their eclectic insight was always refreshing, at least.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2019 at 14:40
I'm no expert by any means but usually a krautrock starter guide would include albums by the following(in no order):

Kraftwerk (70's period mostly)
Tangerine Dream (same as above)
Can
Amon Duul II
Ash Ra Tempel
Faust
Neu
Popol Vuh
Klaus Schulze (more electronic actually but I guess so is TD)

There are of course a lot more but those are often considered good bands(and probably the most famous) to start with.  
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2019 at 09:55
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I'm no expert by any means but usually a krautrock starter guide would include albums by the following(in no order):

Kraftwerk (70's period mostly)
Tangerine Dream (same as above)
Can
Amon Duul II
Ash Ra Tempel
Faust
Neu
Popol Vuh
Klaus Schulze (more electronic actually but I guess so is TD)

I think that the most important part of it, is to make sure the guy knows that a lot of this stuff, in those days, was improvised and its survival, shows that there is a magnificent and extremely valuable content in music in the improvised areas, something that the "progressive" definition, tends to confuse with "solo" ... in "krautrock" it would not qualify as a "solo" (in my seeing it), because it is a bridge to a new section, or an extension of the current section, and not something that brings you back to the "main part" of the song ... in general, it is safe to say that all these have a tendency to continue and never stop.

I would also add Guru Guru, in their first 5 albums ... their stuff all the way to "Dance of the Flames" is outstanding, and the earlier part with Ax Genrich is even better and some of the most far out guitar madness ever recorded ... that many folks (sometimes) might not enjoy because it tears apart at the fabric of a "song". And all you drummers, listen to how Mani adjusts ... you can't teach that kind of listening.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2019 at 10:15
For a modern interpretation of Krautrock, I can highly recommend a band called Electric Orange. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>