Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Everybody loves ANNIE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quinino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Everybody loves ANNIE
    Posted: July 22 2019 at 17:07
Yes, who doesn't ? I fell in love with her voice when I was about fourteen and have been faithful ever since.

Read all about Scheherazade on this excelent BLOG

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 19:43
I do love her too. One of my top 3 singers, along with Jon Anderson and Francesco Di Giacomo.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 20:04
I love Annie, too!  Just a fantastic singer.  I really loved her work with Renaissance and also her solo LP, produced by Roy Wood, "Annie in Wonderland."  Just stellar.

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2019 at 23:53
Heart
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 01:20
Same as Snicolette. Love the Annie In Wonderland album. And tons and tons of her live work, which has a whole other dimension that the studio albums don't capture.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 01:38
What a stellar album.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 11:32
Hats off of course to Haslam and the boys.......
btw that website has some interesting pieces and bands.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2019 at 22:04
She is an amazing singer, with an amazing voice. Love her all the way.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2019 at 07:29
I have run into a few people on here who don't like her voice.  To that I say harrumph
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2019 at 08:25
Harrumph, indeed!  
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2019 at 09:22
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I have run into a few people on here who don't like her voice.  To that I say harrumph

Ah, I didn't bring it up as this has been an overwhelmingly positive thread. But I have seen the dislike moderate over the years. Her sheer longevity has won respect in many quarters, if not a new-found liking. On an FB Ren fans group, I was saying that most of her songs are difficult to render, either going pretty low or pretty high and sometimes both. So it's incredible that she can still perform a 90 minute set of challenging material and without transposing down any of the songs. When Whitney Houston went into steep decline, people explained it as her songs being too tough to sing in middle age but Annie has gone well past middle age now and still has it.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2019 at 10:04
ahhh....  you bet your ass we love Annie... and .. oohhh..dear god... those feet...  

legendary man... helps she can carry a tune as well...

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2019 at 10:39
^^  Funny when I was told about Renaissance by a friend and checked out their page on PA, I took one look at the mugshot (which then was their iconic fivesome photo with Annie in a black dress) and decided the only way a band with such a plain looking singer would have done well is if she happened to be really, really good at singing. Tongue  My frame of reference then as an ardent metalhead was different; I was thinking of the more glamorous frontwomen of symph metal bands like Epica or After Forever.  Of course, I came to appreciate that Annie may not be glamorous but she is very charming.  And very funny too, with a winsome giggle. I don't know how many know this but the famous joke Steffi Graf made in the midst of a tough Wimbledon match when a spectator asked her if she would marry him (she asked in return, "How much money do you have?") was also used by Annie back in '76 at the Capitol theater show that made it to DVD.  Her phrasing was different and more British, "Have you got much money?".  You have to hear it with that delightful sing-song intonation that she has even when she speaks.  
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2019 at 11:31
she is definitely charming.  As I mentioned on the Ren thread, when I met her at the Strawbs' 50th she said hello and immediately told us about upcoming shows...forthright yet in the most gracious manner of course!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2019 at 15:22
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

^^  Funny when I was told about Renaissance by a friend and checked out their page on PA, I took one look at the mugshot (which then was their iconic fivesome photo with Annie in a black dress) and decided the only way a band with such a plain looking singer would have done well is if she happened to be really, really good at singing. Tongue  My frame of reference then as an ardent metalhead was different; I was thinking of the more glamorous frontwomen of symph metal bands like Epica or After Forever.  Of course, I came to appreciate that Annie may not be glamorous but she is very charming.  And very funny too, with a winsome giggle. I don't know how many know this but the famous joke Steffi Graf made in the midst of a tough Wimbledon match when a spectator asked her if she would marry him (she asked in return, "How much money do you have?") was also used by Annie back in '76 at the Capitol theater show that made it to DVD.  Her phrasing was different and more British, "Have you got much money?".  You have to hear it with that delightful sing-song intonation that she has even when she speaks.  

I can hear her saying that!  I'm sure there were plenty of tense times but I could certainly imagine that having a front (person) like her must have created a much different dynamic than in the typical all male prog group of their day

Edited by kenethlevine - July 24 2019 at 15:23
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2019 at 16:24
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

I love Annie, too!  Just a fantastic singer.  I really loved her work with Renaissance and also her solo LP, produced by Roy Wood, "Annie in Wonderland."  Just stellar.

Yes, me too! "Wish upon a star" is amazing! 
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2019 at 16:54
Not everyone ...
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2019 at 18:54
not even the feet Ian?  come on man.. give her that much LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2019 at 19:02
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

not even the feet Ian?  come on man.. give her that much LOL

Surprisingly I don't listen to music for the feet LOL

I like her voice well enough and I've got a couple of albums I enjoy but she's never stood out to me.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2019 at 19:11
ahh...  trust me Ian..  my enjoyment of her albums is definitely... umm  enhanced by imagining her walking in her bare feet up and down my back as I lay on my stomach bare backed...as I'm listening to them.   try it. You might level a new levels of .. umm stimulation for Renaissance albums.  LOL

Micky tested.. Micky approved...Beer

Edited by micky - July 24 2019 at 19:14
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>