Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why can't I stand most modern prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpaleschic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why can't I stand most modern prog?
    Posted: November 19 2019 at 10:14
Obviously rhetorical and rooted in subjectives, but I'd wager a percentage of prog fanatics have their own cut off point in the timeline of records that just start to smell cheesy, taste cloying, or have substituted a sense of exploration for mind masturbation.  Maybe it's just the tape hiss, the old machinery, the handmade beeps and blips of yesteryears that I love?  Maybe prog is a portal I jump into to escape the now, the sheen of nowness slipping me off its back like water on a duck.  Maybe I hate the tabla LOL?

I'd love to acquire the names of a band or two, post '99, that other members of an "only the classics" ilk have come around to - especially if you never thought you would.  What modern bands aren't represented on progarchives you feel neatly carry the torch?  What monsters of modern prog would you never mind being erased from collective memory?
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2019 at 10:21
Ok. So where do you draw the line that arbitarily splits old prog from new? Such binary choice is ridiculous? No?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2019 at 10:27
You need to listen to the new album by Edison's Children and chill out.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
jpaleschic View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpaleschic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2019 at 10:30
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Ok. So where do you draw the line that arbitarily splits old prog from new? Such binary choice is ridiculous? No?

Definitely ridiculous and more something I would hope others have parsed for themselves, not a line I want to draw for anybody.  I was hoping for recommendations specifically after 1999 in this post.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2019 at 10:31
Other than certain retro kings like the Tangent, Wobbler, Niacin, a handful of others, there aren't many that truly reflect the classic era.   I also think of Mammatus, NeBeLNest for a rougher psych sound.   There are also those who emulate the spirit of golden age Prog but sound nothing like it such as Battles, Don Caballero.

But basically you can't recreate an era, it is a product of the time it exists.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2019 at 10:31
I was born in 1959 and classic prog to me is any prog band that's been around since the 1970's. Some of the post-1970's modern prog (or neo-prog) bands I really like are Anathema, Astra, Flower Kings, Magenta, Mostly Autumn & Porcupine Tree.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2019 at 10:33
Originally posted by jpaleschic jpaleschic wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Definitely ridiculous and more something I would hope others have parsed for themselves, not a line I want to draw for anybody.  I was hoping for recommendations specifically after 1999 in this post.
Ignore that chilly post--  and no there's nothing ridiculous about it, that's why we're all here.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2019 at 10:36
It’s OK to have preferences. I prefer 70s prog but many of my favorite albums are modern prog.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
jpaleschic View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpaleschic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2019 at 10:38
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

It’s OK to have preferences. I prefer 70s prog but many of my favorite albums are modern prog.

Mind giving me your top 2 'modern' albums?
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2019 at 10:51
I'm clearly not the right person to ask as I love a lot of the modern stuff. I'm still exploring a lot of older stuff but my major focus these days is the modern.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2019 at 10:56
Check out Porcupine Tree "Coma Divine" or The Psychedelic Ensemble's "Mother's Rhymes" or the latest Wobbler.
PROGMATIC
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2019 at 11:06
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

You need to listen to the new album by Edison's Children and chill out.

Seconded. Genius, which will blow away any pretensions that this genre is dead.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2019 at 13:05
Wobbler and Tangent are the obvious choices. But how about the band Needlepoint? Very olskool vibe with a touch of Canterbury. Their latest album (Robert Reverie) is super cool. Also, check out Lucy in Blue. Their first album is a free download and it kicks a$$.
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2019 at 13:51
Pinkroom
Naxatras
Nemrud
Astra
Anekdoten
Presto Ballet
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2019 at 14:07
Thank You Scientist
Thieves' Kitchen
Sanguine Hum
Izz
The Aristocrats
Big Big Train
Lonely Robot
All Traps on Earth
Haken
Frost*
Tauk
Riverside
Lifesigns
Antoine Fafard
Phideaux

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - November 19 2019 at 14:45
tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2019 at 14:10
Would be helpful if you disclosed what type of pre 1999 prog you like, there is a lot to chose from.

Do you prefer (1977) Going For The One or Heavy Weather or L'apprendista or Natural Elements or A Farewell to Kings or Animals or Mirage or A Passanger To Paramaribo or Songs from the Wood or Rockpommel's Land or Seconds Out or Rain Dances or Before and after science or Feels good to me or I Robot or Onze Danses Pour Combattre La Migraine or Hand Und Fuß or other album from 1977.

Prog is so many things.

Edited by tamijo_II - November 19 2019 at 14:11
Same person as this profile:
Tamijo
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2019 at 14:18
Definitely try Wobblers newest album and Steven Wilson, that got me hooked. If you like Wobbler try Jordsjø and Agusa.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2019 at 14:26
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Pinkroom
Naxatras
Nemrud
Astra
Anekdoten
Presto Ballet
You have good tastes in music. Thumbs Up
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2019 at 14:53
Transatlantic
Wobbler
Big Big Train
The Flower Kings
Neal Morse Band
Knifeworld
Magenta
Modern-Rock Ensemble
Karfagen

There's lots out there to explore but to each his/her own!!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2019 at 15:02
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Transatlantic
Wobbler
Big Big Train
The Flower Kings
Neal Morse Band
Knifeworld
Magenta
Modern-Rock Ensemble
Karfagen

There's lots out there to explore but to each his/her own!!!
I only know Magenta and the Flower Kings in your list, but bearing in mind I really like those two bands, I'm sure I'd like the other bands on your list too. If only I had the time to listen to them all. I mostly listen to the 2,600+ CD's I already have. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>