Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 7 Yes Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Top 7 Yes Albums
    Posted: July 31 2020 at 06:26
Undoubtedly, THE YES ALBUM that's been the BIG GENERATOR of the most controversy over the years is TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS. YES, it's a long double album with four long YESSONGS which was treated like a rotten TORMATO by the music press, but if you OPEN YOUR EYES, you'll gain THE KEYS TO ASCENSION and realise what a classic album this is. The album came CLOSE TO THE EDGE of splitting the band up, when there was a MAGNIFICATION of tensions within the group with so many FRAGILE egos at stake. In the ensuing DRAMA, TIME AND A WORD has it that Rick Wakeman threatened to walk out during the recording of the album. The album climbed THE LADDER of success though, topping the UK album charts for two weeks. Rick Wakeman left the band and didn't appear on the following RELAYER album. There was TALK of a re-UNION, but HEAVEN & EARTH had to be moved to persuade Rick to return for the GOING FOR THE ONE album in 1977. The best-selling YES album of all, released in 1983, was famously named after its catalogue number, 90125. It's time now for a Top 7 YES albums poll before  I FLY FROM HERE. Smile

Here's your chance to help determine the Top 7 Yes albums of all time. Simply list your Top 7 Yes albums in order of preference and then I'll assign the usual system of points to your listings as shown below:-

1st album - 12 points
2nd album - 8 points
3rd album - 6 points
4th album - 4 points
5th album - 3 points
6th album - 2 points
7th album - 1 point

Here's my Top 7 to get the poll underway:-

1. The Ladder (12 points)
2. Going for the One (8 points)
3. Close to the Edge (6 points)
4. The Yes Album (4 points)
5. Fly from Here (3 points)
6. Magnification (2 points)
7. Tales from Topographic Oceans (1 point)

YES Albums & Videos

5 stars 1989: ABWH - An Evening of Yes Music Plus - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzA5sxPqlbD81n3L0aeCjL9H
 5 stars 2000: House of Yes - Live from House of Blues - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzAGhOxECODweJmeB85ju0eV
 3 stars 2014: Like It Is - Yes at the Bristol Hippodrome - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzBy9uyRERs-I1GDFW4lDa2z
 3 stars 2015: Like It Is - Yes at the Mesa Art Centre - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzCKc4OxC4JZC4-Gq1UEAq93

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 12 2021 at 06:33
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 06:47

1. Close To The Edge
2. Fragile
3. Relayer
4. Tormato
5. Going For The One
6. 90125
7. The Yes Album

While the top three are definite, the next four are more or less equal. I decided to leave out Drama even though it is comparable to the bottom four that were included.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 06:51
^ Your 4th placing for Tormato is almost as surprising as my 1st placing for The Ladder album. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 07:02
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

^ Your 4th placing for Tormato is almost as surprising as my 1st placing for The Ladder album. Smile

I think Tormato gets a bad rap, even worse than 90125 because at least that album is accepted for what it is. I have said before that I prefer Tormato to Going For The One.

At some stage in the future, I may develop a like for Tales From Topographic Oceans, but not today, even though there are parts that I do like.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 07:10
I suppose that I should say that I'm not familiar with any of the albums after Big Generator. Actually, I'm not familiar with Big Generator either, but at least I have that even if I've only listened to it once.

dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 07:29
Ah great, another variation of top 5 yes albums that gets posted every few days
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 07:42
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I think Tormato gets a bad rap, even worse than 90125 because at least that album is accepted for what it is. I have said before that I prefer Tormato to Going For The One.

At some stage in the future, I may develop a like for Tales From Topographic Oceans, but not today, even though there are parts that I do like.

If I'd made this a Top 8 Yes albums poll then my eighth choice would have been the 90125 album and the points system would have looked like this:- 1st album - 18 points; 2nd album - 12 points; 3rd album - 9 points; 4th album - 6 points; 5th album - 4 points; 6th album - 3 points; 7th album - 2 points; and 8th album - 1 point, where all of the points divide neatly into the number 36. Smile

Hey! I just realised - my Points have just hit 5555. That's almost as good as the number 90125, not that I'm obsessed with numbers or anything. Wink

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 31 2020 at 07:50
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 07:45
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Are you telling me this has been done before? Wink
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Cactus Choir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 08:13
1. Going for the One
2. Time and a Word
3. Fragile
4. Close to the Edge
5. Yes
6. Drama
7. Relayer

Relayer is interchangeable really with TFTO as the number 7.

Edited by Cactus Choir - July 31 2020 at 08:16
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 08:18
1. The Yes Album
2. Close To The Edge
3. Fragile
4. Going For The One
5. Relayer
6. TFTO
7. Everything else in a muddy pile

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 08:23
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

7. Everything else in a muddy pile

That sounds like a Yes compilation album to me. Smile
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 08:27
Close to the Edge
Relayer
Fragile
The Yes album
Going for the One
Drama
TFTO
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 11:32
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

You're damn right! LOL
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 11:35
I'm not sure I can stick to a favorite to least favorite order but here we go:

1. Relayer
2. Close to the Edge
3. Fragile
4. Tales From Topographic Oceans (From not "of")
5. The Yes Album
6. Going for the One
7. Time and a Word (vastly underrated imo)

suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 12:36
Why would we need this thread when we have this one??? It seems to me a bit of overkill...

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 12:51
^ Can we just create another lounge for Yes? LOLEvery couple of days its some variation of "Top 5 Yes Songs" or "Close to the Edge vs Selling England" 

Just looking at some recent polls and lists from the last 2 weeks:

"Top 7 Yes albums"
"Rank and Rate 4 Classic Yes Albums"
"Top 7 Yessongs
"Yes: album ratings"
"3 Classic Yes vs 3 Classic Genesis"
"Magnification vs Time and a Word"
"Least Favorite Early Yes Album"

All these threads basically end up the same way, the top 5 is some variation of The Yes Album-GFTO with maybe Drama thrown in the mix and then a small group of people complaining about Tales. I think the recent threads on their later albums are more interesting and engaging. It's just kinda beating a dead horse at this point.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 12:56
1. Close To The Edge
2. Relayer (both of these may take the top spot depending on my mood)
3. Fragile
4. Tales From Topographic Oceans
5. Drama
6. Going For The One
7. either Yes or The Yes Album, again depending on my mood
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 12:56
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Why would we need this thread when we have this one??? It seems to me a bit of overkill...

.....Because that one doesn't keep a running tally of points from everyone's votes likes this one does, and this one's more fun too. Well, at least it is for me anyway. Smile
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 13:02
What does that add to the general PA-ratings?
To me, the fun is in the exchange of opinions/appreciations, not in ratings, rankings or votes (music can never be brought down to that, imho). So, really, to me this thread is totally superfluous.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2020 at 13:29
This is how the Top 7 looks so far after the first tallying up of the votes:-

1. Close to the Edge (62 points)
2. Fragile (38 points)
2. Relayer (38 points)
4. Going for the One (34 points)
5. The Yes Album (25 points)
6. The Ladder (12 points)
6. Tales from Topographic Oceans (12 points)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>