Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Progressive Blues-Rock in the Seventies?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Progressive Blues-Rock in the Seventies?
    Posted: September 27 2020 at 06:21
Progressive blues-rock is not hard to be detected among the songs that are from the late sixties. For instance, Family and Jethro Tull had some great ones. However, in the seventies, the bands were rather rarely recording blues-rock songs that could be considered as "progressive". Doesn't it seem that experimenting with the blues form was out of fashion in the seventies? Post your faves and discuss. I'd like to start the thread with these two songs by Smak.

Smak - "Plava pesma" (1977)

Smak - "Sumadijski blues" (from "Smak live in New York" tv documentary, 1976)

Edited by Boboulo - September 27 2020 at 07:58
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 06:32
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 07:13
Pink Floyd's "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" from 1974-1975. Three-chord blues structure in G-minor (mostly)...

A lot of musical analysis has been published dissecting this piece. Here's one...
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 08:25
Up to today, Came's music has a lot of influence from the blues.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 09:25
I know this is probably more blues-oriented than it is progressive, but they are listed in the archives and it's actually quite refreshing to hear Blue Oyster Cult do flat out heavy, blues-rock.  From their album "Cultosaurus Erectus", it's "Divine Wind".

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 09:55
Many great 70's prog blues rock bands....Steamhammer, Gravy Train, Groundhogs, Wishbone Ash, Ten Years After...

oh my '69....well...it is what it is...Wink

Edited by dr wu23 - September 27 2020 at 10:13
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 10:18
Pink Floyd's Shine on You Crazy Diamond has already been mentioned as a progressive rock song with blues elements (and it is progressive rock, based on both time signature changes and compositional structure).

I would suggest this Led Zeppelin song is perhaps the most progressive blues song ever written, particularly if you compare it Memphis Minnie's original 1929 acoustic Delta blues version....

And let's not forget how Robin Trower showed that there is really no limits regarding the construction of a blues composition....

Edited by The Dark Elf - October 01 2020 at 07:51
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 11:22
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

And let's not forget how Robin Trower showed that there is really no limits regarding the construction of a blues composition....

Yeah... why isn't Robin Trower on this site, even if only under Prog Related?

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 13:45
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

What Robin Trower has to do with such prog giants as Talk Talk, Dr Spira and Nine Inch Nails?
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 13:54
Originally posted by Boboulo Boboulo wrote:

What Robin Trower has to do with such prog giants as Talk Talk, Dr Spira and Nine Inch Nails?

For one thing, he was guitarist and vocalist in Procol Harum, who are on this site.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 14:04
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Up to today, Came's music has a lot of influence from the blues.
Like for example this song from "Nude".

Camel - "Lies" (1981)

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 14:07
I think Svetonio..er Booboulo was trying to be funny....of course the bands he mentioned have nothing to do with prog blues rock. And Trower of course does.
For that matter I don't see a great deal of quality in the 'prog blues rock' of Smak either.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 14:12

So now your adding NIN to your prog giants list.....First it was DT is the biggest prog artist ever and now NIN is a giant.
I am soooo glad you are here cause you make me laugh very hard.........Thanks for that!
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 14:12
Smak - "Blues u parku" (1975)

Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 14:13
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

So now your adding NIN to your prog giants list.....First it was DT is the biggest prog artist ever and now NIN is a giant.
I am soooo glad you are here cause you make me laugh very hard.........Thanks for that!
Cheers Beer
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 14:27
Frank Zappa - "Road Ladies" (1970)

Frank Zappa - "The Illinois Enema Bandit" (1978)

Edited by Boboulo - September 27 2020 at 14:39
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 22:14
aren't Pink Floyd and Jethro Tull both blues influenced prog?
Homotopy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homotopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 06:31
Wow, some people are really bad at getting the irony.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 06:53
I'm shocked, shocked that Boboulo does not argue that progressive blues is actually psychedelic blues! Shocked!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2020 at 10:10
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I'm shocked, shocked that Boboulo does not argue that progressive blues is actually psychedelic blues! Shocked!
I bet he'll come along and say that blues isn't really a genre and a style of jazz, and prog blues is in fact early Zeuhl, or something equally ridiculous. 
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>