Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

For Book Experts - "1984"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: What is your rating for this book?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
18 [58.06%]
13 [41.94%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Umeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: For Book Experts - "1984"
    Posted: December 03 2020 at 17:44
Recently I've received a recommendation to read this book made by George Orwell. I'd like to ask your opinion on it, through your vote casting. And if you recommend it, is there any book with similar content you would also recommend?
Not for rent. To any God or government.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2020 at 22:10
Hi,

Hard to rate this ... in many ways it was important when the book came out, but as time went by, the book has become less and less valuable in many ways ... but it's still mandatory reading in many high schools, at least it was in my time, and some of my brothers and sisters.

Since then, with the advent of video, film and multi media materials a book/play about this, kinda becomes a bit way behind its time, and will not be appreciated for what it meant at the time, and how it stood up for so long.

Today, the materials that you can find in film, and even in the sci-fi area, are so much further ahead and away in ideas and thoughts that it makes this small book, look really poor by comparison. However, again, for its time, it was very good, and valuable ... 

Guess what we got today?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 00:32
It's a classic, absolutely essential reading that you will never ever forget!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 06:07
It rather depends on your tastebuds. It’s a very bleak and pessimistic book but likewise also extremely poignant...as the time passes on perhaps even more so.
If you have an affinity for stories about Utopia, and the opposite, then it is an essential read alongside Aldous Huxley’s Brave New World, Island as well as Thomas More’s Utopia and the daddyo The Republic by Plato. The latter two titles are a little harder to get into..but once your brain wraps itself around the lingo, they open up beautifully imho.

Edited by Guldbamsen - December 04 2020 at 06:13
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 06:19
Yes you should read it.

I studied it at school for English Lit. and wrote an essay on visions of the future (it was still the future then!) based on this, Brave New World and A Clockwork Orange.
triptych View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote triptych Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 06:49
Excellent book....a must in every cool readers' bookshelf ! .....and remember, yesterday's conspiracy theories are TODAY'S realities :):)Wink
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2020 at 09:13
Coincidentally, I've just started Brave New World by Aldous Huxley - often mentioned along with 1984.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2020 at 08:42
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

Coincidentally, I've just started Brave New World by Aldous Huxley - often mentioned along with 1984.

Hi,

I would rather read Aldous Huxley than 1984 ... at least you learn something nice and valuable from him in terms of experience ... but in 1984/Orwell, I find it a bit ... off center, and sometimes towards the mean side of things, which is very sociological if you think about it ... but if we deal with sociological psychopaths, then I read "The Devils of Loudon".

Edited by moshkito - December 05 2020 at 08:43
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2020 at 09:51
you definitely should read it. and also Orwell's other classic "Animal Farm".

other suggested reads are "Peace on Earth" and "Memoirs Found in a Bathtub" by Stanisław Lem. actually "Memoirs Found in a Bathtub" kind of reminds me of what is currently going on in the USA. and in "Animal Farm" Squealer reminds me of Mitch McConnell.

and "War with the Newts" by Karel Čapek. Čapek is the writer who coined the word "robot" for his satirical play "R.U.R"

Edited by BaldJean - December 05 2020 at 10:50

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2020 at 11:59
I'm not a big reader but 1984 (and Animal Farm) are two of my favourite books. There are so many themes in 1984 especially that are relevant to today. I sometimes wonder how many people who watched the TV programmes Big Brother and Room 101 are aware of where those phrases come from.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2020 at 16:03
I first read 1984 when i was 14, and I absolutely loved it. It's quite short and I've read it quite a few times since (though not for many years). I did an essay in school particularly on the 1984 party slogans "War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength."

It's absolutely essential reading, I think, partially because it gets referenced so much. A faux reference I'd like make is to the companion film to Debbie Does Dallas called Do It To Julia. ;)

The book is very much a part of me. A good friend of my parents knew Eric Arthur Blair (George Orwell) and wrote biographies on him. My parents knew so many interesting people, unlike me (forum company excepted).

If you like it and haven't seen Brazil, I really suggest watching that film (as well as A Clockwork Orange even if that is different, it might appeal).

I also love Orwell's Burmese Days.

Some books I would recommend after 1984 are:

Huxley's Brave New World (though I prefer his Utopia)
Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451
Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go (a quite modern and brilliant novel)
William Golding's Lord of the Flies
Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid’s Tale (my favourite of hers is Oryx and Crake)

And lots of Kurt Vonnegut and Philip K. Dick.
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 02:45
An excellent book.

I'm not sure how accurate this is, but apparently Orwell sent a copy to Aldous Huxley for review when it was first published. Huxley wrote back saying he enjoyed the book, but disagreed with Orwells vision of the future, saying that authoritarianism would more likely be achieved, slowly and gently over time, with the full but unwitting consent of the population, and in part would be achieved through medicating the population into quiet and grateful compliance, with most people loving their 'servitude' and not realising they were living in servitude at all.

Edited by Blacksword - December 10 2020 at 02:46
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 05:14
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I first read 1984 when i was 14, and I absolutely loved it. It's quite short and I've read it quite a few times since (though not for many years). I did an essay in school particularly on the 1984 party slogans "War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength."

It's absolutely essential reading, I think, partially because it gets referenced so much. A faux reference I'd like make is to the companion film to Debbie Does Dallas called Do It To Julia. ;)

The book is very much a part of me. A good friend of my parents knew Eric Arthur Blair (George Orwell) and wrote biographies on him. My parents knew so many interesting people, unlike me (forum company excepted).

If you like it and haven't seen Brazil, I really suggest watching that film (as well as A Clockwork Orange even if that is different, it might appeal).

I also love Orwell's Burmese Days.

Some books I would recommend after 1984 are:

Huxley's Brave New World (though I prefer his Utopia)
Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451
Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go (a quite modern and brilliant novel)
William Golding's Lord of the Flies
Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid’s Tale (my favourite of hers is Oryx and Crake)

And lots of Kurt Vonnegut and Philip K. Dick.

Good reading list. I'd add - 

Make Room!, Make Room! - Harry Harrison (basis for the film Soylent Green)

The City & The Stars - Arthur C. Clarke

Anything by Michael Moorcock
Heart of the Matter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heart of the Matter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 05:50
More dystopias (it's never enough!):

J.G. Ballard (short stories): The Watch-Towers
                             Cronopolis       

H.G. Wells: The Time Machine

Enjoy!
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 08:52
Originally posted by Heart of the Matter Heart of the Matter wrote:

More dystopias (it's never enough!):

J.G. Ballard (short stories): The Watch-Towers
                             Cronopolis       

H.G. Wells: The Time Machine

Enjoy!

I enjoyed Ballards's High Rise.

Quite a good film too.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 09:27
^ High Rise is a good fbook, and I loved the film. The movie Snowpiercer has a somewhat similar sort of class struggle, and the Doctor Who episodes de Paradise Towers seemed very High Rise inspired. Ooh, it’s a long way to the top if you want to rock and roll.

As for Ronstein’s choices, I love Moorcock, although I may get some queer looks if I proclaim that in public.
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 09:43

^ High Rise is a good fbook, and I loved the film. The movie Snowpiercer has a somewhat similar sort of class struggle, and the Doctor Who episodes de Paradise Towers seemed very High Rise inspired. Ooh, it’s a long way to the top if you want to rock and roll.

As for Ronstein’s choices, I love Moorcock, although I may get some queer looks if I proclaim that in public.

Ah, a fellow Dancer at the End of Time.... your secret is safe with me LOL
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 13:00
Originally posted by Ronstein Ronstein wrote:

Ah, a fellow Dancer at the End of Time.... your secret is safe with me LOL

I'm just an alien [in] heat, which will ring hollow [lands] to most.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 14:23
Farenheit 451 is an important book to me; Bradbury's style doesnt appeal to everyone but i think it is an apt reflection on todays media obsessions and addictions and willingness to give up and vilify culture for easy entertainment and a comfortable but numb, unthinking life.

The Novella, 'The Machine stops' by E M Forster deserves a mention as do 'The left hand of darkness' and 'The Dispossessed ' by Ursula le Guin.

For a bizarre, dystopian read (in the Michael Moorcock vein) 'The Text of Festival' by counter culture hoodoo and 'Deviant' Mick Farren.

MortSahlFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2020 at 16:41
I've had the book for years, just haven't read it.
99% of what I read is biography.

I was just thinking about the book yesterday, because I see it come full circle. Those were against censorship now seem to support it, and vice-versa. I guess I don't see how valuable it would be to read it when I can see this dystopia right in front of my eyes.

Edited by MortSahlFan - December 10 2020 at 16:43
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>