0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interactive Poll 2021 0010: Duos of Contrast
    Posted: January 18 2021 at 00:20
In this edition again we will, like with the previous poll, nominate two song/ track choices. Both of those choices should be entered in your initial post. Each of your two choices should contrast with each other (a sort of yin and yang dualist proposition). This does not mean that they must be opposites per se, such as hard vs. soft, aggressive vs. gentle, happy vs. sad, consonant vs. dissonant and so forth, but they should feel quite tonally different to you and at least provide some interesting contrast from your perspective. Of course this approach might very well lend itself to a listener liking one of the selections while disliking the other. Both selections could be from the same artist or by different ones and the selections should not be included in the Prog Archives database.

When it comes time to voting, please vote for and list three of the poll options that are not your own nomination (three duos in other words).

Voting should have started by Sunday, January 24th or 25th, I think, and the next poll would be up about one week later (I wouldn't mind making it faster).

Here are my two choices:

Mica Levi's "Lipstick to Void" (which is more atmospheric than musical one might say)

Mono's "Disney Town"

While the two contrast, I feel that they in part complement each other as well.

The poll is now open.

Edited by Logan - January 25 2021 at 13:10
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 04:52
Nice, ideas become more sophisticated... and harder to choose. But I'll take the challenge!
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 05:07
I'm again coming up with the first thing that came to my mind.

Two songs from the Eurovision Song Contest. 

One of them is conveying positive and universal messages, whilst the other is utterly self-indulgent. 

Also I was dismayed by the results of the two. Chiara's awesome song was barely above the bottom, wheres Netta's nasty song was the winner of the year. Don't get me wrong, I found it fun but it didn't deserve to be on top methinks.

Chiara - What If We (2009) - Malta

Netta - Toy (2018) - Israel

Edit: The "Netta - Toy" that could work for you to watch, if the video above doesn't work for you:

Edited by Shadowyzard - January 25 2021 at 12:28
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 05:26
that's a real challenge Smile
I'll try and come up with something at least interesting and hopefully entertaining. Tongue
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 05:34
I had an immediate thought for a duo, which was dashed as soon as I searched on YouTube. No dice. It was a shame, as it fitted with your yin and yang, too - that being the exact phrase I used in my review for the new Seaorm album.

Since I can’t share the videos, I just want to share my thoughts (ie, the first couple of paragraphs of my review). Ignore them and move on, if you just want to see the choices that actually will be voted on. (And I will attempt to come back with my own pair of nominees as soon as I can.)

[EDIT to add Bandcamp links, in case anyone is interested]

—-//—-

Last year I reviewed “Sada”, the second collaboration between the Spanish jazz fusion and RIO guitarist Ángel Ontalva and members of Russian psychedelic space-prog rockers Vespero. I made the comment that I have enjoyed several of their releases, but somehow missed their first collaboration. Needless to say, after thoroughly enjoying “Sada”, I did indeed go back to sample the delights of “Carta Marina” (2018). One of the tracks on that album I enjoyed the most was “Sea Orm”, so it probably comes as no surprise that when I saw that this third collaboration between Ángel Ontalva and members of Vespero was made under the name Seaorm, my interest was piqued even more than it might have been otherwise. The reason for this is presumably because Seaorm includes only two members of Vespero, and I hope it is also because this trio will continue to make further releases under this name - because Olkhon is a fabulous album!

I’m somewhat indebted to Asian Death Crustacean, too, as their 2020 release Baikal led me to read more about this great lake, so that I recognised the names Olkhon, Lusud-Khan, Angara and Shaman Rock. That recognition and knowledge, along with the cover art, the name the trio had given to themselves, and the musicians that made up that trio, all added up to a whole heap of excitement and anticipation for an album I’d not yet heard a single note from. I was aware that I already had such high expectations, I might well be disappointed. Of course, you will have gathered already that this was far from the case.

If we consider Lake Baikal to be an inland sea, then Lusud-Khan is the Sea Orm that inhabits it. An orm is a serpent or dragon, and Lusud-Khan is the mysterious such monster that is said to inhabit Baikal. It provides an eerie, almost primeval, opening to “Olkhon”, and fluid, watery notes that are reminiscent of “Sea Orm” from “Carta Marina”, before moving into an almost post-rock groove with eastern notes reminiscent of Asian Death Crustacean’s “Baikal” - which came as a complete surprise to me. Now there’s absolutely no way Asian Death Crustacean could have had any way of knowing what Seaorm would sound like, and I am quite sure the members of Seaorm have no knowledge of Asian Death Crustacean. So what this says to me, is that both bands have done a terrific job of giving a sonic description of Baikal. Even though they are completely unrelated releases, and probably unknown to each other, I can’t help but think of “Baikal” and “Olkhon” as being yin and yang, and (respectively) physical and spiritual descriptions of the lake, the land, and the people of the Baikal region.

Edited by nick_h_nz - January 18 2021 at 05:35
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 05:56
Nice theme, Greg. I will have to ponder on this one.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 11:16
This is quite a tricky theme because the term duality can be interpreted in many ways. I will have to think about it, I don't have some obvious choices for it.
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 11:18
........processing........(good theme by the way)

jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 12:00
Wonderful idea, Greg!
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 12:07
Cool idea, I'll have to think about my choices.

Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

Also I was dismayed by the results of the two. Chiara's awesome song was barely above the bottom, wheres Netta's nasty song was the winner of the year. Don't get me wrong, I found it fun but it didn't deserve to be on top methinks.
The ESC is a freak show, it has nothing to do with music for quite some time now.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 12:22
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Cool idea, I'll have to think about my choices.

The ESC is a freak show, it has nothing to do with music for quite some time now.

We (Turkey) have been out of it for some years, so I'm not following it as I used to do. The "public vote" thing ruined this song for instance. The jury agreed that it was one of the best in the competition, but the dumb publics voted for dumb songs and neighbouring countries as usual, and the song ended in a ridiculous place.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 12:33
And this one, together with the one above, should have been in number 1 and 2. This one made it up in the Top 5 at least, as far as I remember.

Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 12:33
Definitely a great theme and will need to think on it a bit.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 13:10
Here's to you my couple of songs.

One of my favorite rock artist is the Californian Steve Wynn, who gave his best in the Dream Syndicate (whose song I posted "Merrittville" in an early poll) and his usual first albums, up to 2000.

My selection includes Carolyn, a song taken from his first album "Kerosene Man" (1990) easy, catchy, melodic but arranged in my opinion beautifully with violins, a fresh song, which conveys joy, sparkling, a sense of spring.

And a song taken from his double album, the masterpiece of maturity ("Here comes the miracles", 2001), which instead is a rock song, where he sings with a completely different vocal register, and where the rhythm and not the melody is the leader, with great performance of electric guitars (sometimes distorted) and drums. A dry, direct song that hits the heart, that is, the opposite of Carolyn's sounds and mood friendly.

Steve Wynn has always alternated melodic, sometimes pop, Sixties-style songs with hard rock songs, almost punk, where he sings with a different voice, so my opinion lends itself well to this poll

Edited by jamesbaldwin - January 18 2021 at 13:23
"Happiness is real only when shared"
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 14:12
I'm not sure I can rationalise my two choices, but once I decided on this pairing, it just seemed right, more right than even more different pairings. These two tracks are among my favourite non-prog tracks, and both are from the '90s:

Kula Shaker - Grateful When You're Dead / Jerry Was There

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Sir Psycho Sexy

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 14:45
The contrast here is between cold and warm. I decided to go with the same band and show two different sides of them.

Kashmir is a Danish band that has existed since 1991. They have been inactive for some years now, but I think they are working on a reunion. Centered around the guitarist, singer and songwriter Kasper Eistrup, they took their name from the Led Zeppelin song (in the beginning they were actually called Nirvana (!) - that was before Kurt Coban and co. were known anywhere outside Seattle).

Their earliest music sounds like a mix between Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Frank Zappa, and in particular their first album Travelogue (1994) was overplayed at my boarding school, to a degree that I got nausea. I'm still not much of a fan of it, but they grew a lot musically with Cruzential from 1996 which is more eclectic and which I still enjoy listening to.

But from around 1999 their music became more vulnerable with inspiration from both Pink Floyd, Radiohead and Jeff Buckley, as can be heard on the brilliant The Good Life (1999).

The first song is the cold one. It is called "The Cynic", and it appears on the 2005 album No Balance Palace which was produced by Tony Visconti. David Bowie sings lead vocals in the second verse (he's on Progarchives, I know, but here he is just a "featured artist", so I hope it's OK. Otherwise I will choose another song).

The second is the warm one. "The Push" is from Zitilites (City Lights, 2003).

Edited by The Anders - January 18 2021 at 15:03
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 15:19
I'll use this to promote once more my love for electronic avantgarde music. I have a tendency to distinguish two major approaches there, namely "busy" and "meditative". Of course much is somewhere in between, however I'd like to give you one rather pure example of each.
This one of the Langham Research Centre is pretty busy, and as many busy things much fun (starts at 0:19):

On the meditative side, I'd really like to feature genius French composer Eliane Radigue, but pretty much all of her stuff is very long, and the meditative approach perhaps requires that. This one is 9 minutes (sorry, I've picked the other one rather short), it's actually a "trailer" of a 3 CD work, but works pretty well on its own. 

Edited by Lewian - January 18 2021 at 15:20
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 17:50

I'm again coming up with the first thing that came to my mind.

Two songs from the Eurovision Song Contest. 

One of them is conveying positive and universal messages, whilst the other is utterly self-indulgent. 

Videos removed for space.

The first one, Chiara, worked for me, the second did not, so I hope this one will work for others here.  It's the Netta "Toy" Eurovision Final, per YT.  Hopefully it's the right one.  You also made twp later posts that also didn't work for me, but I don't know the titles or artists.

Video removed, as Shadowyzard said it's a very abbreviated one, not the full piece.

Edited by Snicolette - January 18 2021 at 18:16
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 17:56
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

I had an immediate thought for a duo, which was dashed as soon as I searched on YouTube. No dice. It was a shame, as it fitted with your yin and yang, too - that being the exact phrase I used in my review for the new Seaorm album.

Since I can’t share the videos, I just want to share my thoughts (ie, the first couple of paragraphs of my review). Ignore them and move on, if you just want to see the choices that actually will be voted on. (And I will attempt to come back with my own pair of nominees as soon as I can.)

[EDIT to add Bandcamp links, in case anyone is interested]

Edited for space:  Nick, are there two specific pieces by each that you would like to nominate?  I have no problem using bandcamp, although it can't be added to the YT playlist.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2021 at 17:59
^ Nickie, the video you put is severely cut and cropped. The full song is of about twice length. The one I put in this post is not the same performance, even if it says "winning performance". Probably the semi-final performance. (Edit: it is the post-victory performance, apparently.) There are dramatic diferences, but I couldn't find a better solution. I hope this will work for you, in the first place.

Edited by Shadowyzard - January 18 2021 at 18:03
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>