Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What band should be in PA?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boi_da_boi_124 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What band should be in PA?
    Posted: May 23 2023 at 20:13
What prog-related, prog-esque, or overlooked prog bands/artists should have a place in PA?

My picks:
John Coltrane(Jazz/Rock Fusion)
Gary Numan(Prog-Related)
Grateful Dead(Psychedelic/Space Rock or Prog-Related)
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2023 at 20:48
The Grateful Dead, The Tubes and XTC. GD for space/psych and the others for prog related or crossover. It won't happen for any of them though.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2023 at 21:55
Beach Boys

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2023 at 22:25
Originally posted by Boi_da_boi_124 Boi_da_boi_124 wrote:

What prog-related, prog-esque, or overlooked prog bands/artists should have a place in PA?

My picks:
Gary Numan(Prog-Related)

Two and three absolutely. But when did ever Coltrane fuse his jazz with anything rock? Well, I know his music more than well enough to answer that myself: Never.

-While Miles took notes and listened to what his younger bandmembers and girlfriends were into (around the time of Coltrane's untimely passing) and added funk & rock grooves into his gradually more electrified jazz.

-Post his 1965-album A Love Supreme, Coltrane spent the two last years of his life going even further out into the spiritual side of avant-garde/free jazz. Always sticking to the acoustic standard jazz "instrument park". The story of jazzfusion had hardly begun in 1967. And while he (as many of the 1960's jazz greats) inspired many outside of the jazz field, he's merely a footnote in the "makings of" this particular story.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2023 at 22:38
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Beach Boys

Yes, after I've finally gotten around to dig into their music post Pet Sounds (which by all means is relevant in this context, but I was never the biggest fan), I now understand what all the fuzz is about. I kind of love them by now. Apart from their near-masterpiece Surf's Up, I find most of their albums to be quite patchy. But I could say the same about The Beatles really. And Beach Boys feels just as relevant for Prog-Related as them.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 00:31
Only a personal opinion:

DEVO - influential to some Avant bands like Cardiacs IMO

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 04:52
Pere Ubu
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 05:29
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Beach Boys

Seconded . . .
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 05:35
Chick Corea for his solo work. Yes RTF and Elektric Band are in PA. However, if Davis, Shorter, and Hancock have a place on PA so should Chick.

Oh, and Freak Kitchen also.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - May 24 2023 at 05:36
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 05:50

Quicksilver Messenger Service. 
Changó

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 05:52
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

My picks:
Gary Numan(Prog-Related)

Two and three absolutely. But when did ever Coltrane fuse his jazz with anything rock? Well, I know his music more than well enough to answer that myself: Never.

-While Miles took notes and listened to what his younger bandmembers and girlfriends were into (around the time of Coltrane's untimely passing) and added funk & rock grooves into his gradually more electrified jazz.

-Post his 1965-album A Love Supreme, Coltrane spent the two last years of his life going even further out into the spiritual side of avant-garde/free jazz. Always sticking to the acoustic standard jazz "instrument park". The story of jazzfusion had hardly begun in 1967. And while he (as many of the 1960's jazz greats) inspired many outside of the jazz field, he's merely a footnote in the "makings of" this particular story.
Progressive and psychedelic  Jazz, maybe?TongueWink

One could say that McCoy Tyner could have some rock in his 70's album. Ditto for Alice.

Edited by Sean Trane - May 24 2023 at 07:05
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 05:53
The Martin Barre Band. 
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 06:23
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Changó

Yes, Quicksilver's tour of England was a big influence on early progressive rock, also, they have a lot songs that are pure progressive rock.

Edited by Easy Money - May 24 2023 at 06:52
TerLJack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerLJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 06:28
I've often wondered why Angel is not represented on this site.  Based on their first two albums, I would think they'd have a place here somewhere.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 07:03
I thought you were going to feature Edward (The Mad Shirt Grinder)

Nicky Hopkins brought quite a progressive slant to the original quartet. 

Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Changó
Yes, Quicksilver's tour of England was a big influence on early progressive rock, also, they have a lot songs that are pure progressive rock.

Albums like What About Me and Comin' Thru are also fairly proggy at times... 

and their best-known album Happy Trails is probably the least "proggy" - though even Maiden Moon & Calvary are quite interesting (as in something else but Diddley-jamming)

And QMS have got the best series of album artworkHeart

===============

I'd also like to see Paul Kantner's three albums  (Empires Strikes Back, Sun Fighter and Baron Von Tollbooth & The Chrome Nun) with Grace Slick (and Freiberg) on PA, someday . 
That's about as prog as Jefferson Airplane got (instead of Hot Tune)

Grace Slick's first two solo albums are really good and proggy (Man Hole is awesome, Dreams is still good)

Edited by Sean Trane - May 24 2023 at 08:30
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
Boi_da_boi_124 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boi_da_boi_124 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 08:44
I personally never cared for The Beach Boys but they do definitely deserve a spot in PA.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 10:08
Great suggestions by everyone. Thumbs Up

I'd like to see Paul Kantner (Baron von Tollbooth) and Grace Slick (The Chrome Nun) on Prog Archives too, alongside Jefferson Starship and Quicksilver Messenger Service - in my Dreams! Wink

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - May 24 2023 at 10:09
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 10:37
Avalon Rising. Not well known but definitely Prog Folk.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 10:52
These two

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 11:10
Action. A German band with only one self-titled album released in 1972.

Green Cathedral. A US band with singer Lynnette Shelley of The Red Masque with one album ("Winter's Veil") released in 2017.

Edited by BaldFriede - May 24 2023 at 11:20

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>