Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
22 [41.51%]
28 [52.83%]
3 [5.66%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VDGG vs Gentle Giant vs Soft Machine
    Posted: March 18 2024 at 22:49
These three groups seem to be popular amongst fans of prog. Although I have found some interesting stuff by these three, I've never really been able to get into them.

I would really like to know what it is that people like about these groups and how they are rarted against each other.

Edited by Hugh Manatee - March 29 2024 at 19:21
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2024 at 02:34
Tough choice between Gentle Giant and Soft Machine, but I think the latter has ultimately been more important for me as a person and a musician, even if their discography isn't overall as consistent as the Giant's.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2024 at 03:44
Three bands I used to actively dislike.
I think it was Free Hand that turned me on to the genius of Gentle Giant. Suddenly, it all clicked. Yes - they're erratic. Some things they do are too experimental and don't work, but when they do, it's spectacular. And live, they were a force of nature.
Over time, I've come to appreciate Soft Machine more, but they're never going to be top of my listening priority. 3 is a good album.
Van der Graaf Generator just doesn't work for me. I cannot stand Hamill's vocal delivery. The music is OK and Hugh Banton is a damn fine keyboards player, but I sold all my albums some time ago because I just never had the desire to listen to them.
So GG for me.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2024 at 04:17
Gentle Giant Smile
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2024 at 04:32
Gentle Giant. My neighborhood needs a washing machine crossing sign.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2024 at 04:37
VDGG
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time...
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2024 at 05:51
All three bands are great in my book, but Gentle Giant comes on top.
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2024 at 08:19
VDGG
I like gentle giant a lot
not a Soft Machine fan
"Mellotron is to progrock what watercolor is to painting. Diaphanous and mesmerizing"
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2024 at 08:44
Believe it or not I'm not actually that familiar with Soft Machine. I only recently got third and haven't heard much else by them (especially not in a while). With GG vs VDGG it's almost a toss up but I'll sit this one out anyway since I don't know SM that well (and definitely not as well as the other two).

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - March 19 2024 at 08:45
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2024 at 09:16
Three bands that have been absolute favourites of mine.

I have always liked quirky music and music that seems different, and bands that offer contrasts, and these three qualify. Often those with more "conventional" melodic Prog tastes have had problems with all three of these. I might posit that for many who totally dislike all three bands, they have not spent enough time getting to know and acclimate to the discographies. Bu then I could say that of a huge amount more. These are all tastes I'm glad that I acquired.

When I joined here, I was especially into Gentle Giant, but over the years it is Van der Graaf Generator that I have returned to the most. I understand that Hammill's vocals -- "hammy" as one might uncharitably put it" -- might be off-putting to many. The albums I have returned to the most over the years are Pawn Hearts and The Least We Can Do Is Wave to Each to Each Other. "House With No Door" off He to He.. and Man-Erg off pawn Hearts were the first tracks I heard by VdGG and it was love at first listen. To me A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers is a true masterpiece. An album like Godbluff has been harder for me, but I really like albums that follow Pawn hearts as well as the Least We Can Do to pawn hearts run of albums. This is one of my VdGG faves:

With Soft Machine, I like music off the first few albums a lot. Third and the second are the two that I have returned to the most. I was obsessed with "Moon in June".

With Gentle Giant, I especially like the early albums. Were I to choose just two, I would keep Acquiring the taste and Three Friends. The music can be a by fussy and precious I think and I rarely listen to the band now but still love the early albums. Go me there is real beauty playfulness that comes through on those albums and the music is warmer on the earlier albums and feel less like an exercise in trying to impress to me on the whole (sorry, I could phrase that much better).

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2024 at 11:35
In the beginning it would always take me some time to get into a VDGG album because not only are Hammill's vocals something of an acquired taste, also some of the albums have a somewhat strange production. But after the third spin or so I could relate a lot to this music. It is full of atmosphere, personality and emotion, and offers a very good mix between experiments and melodies that do it for me. I still feel very much at home in their music. This includes some (but not all) of Hammill's solo work.

Soft Machine have always fascinated me. They have some very different phases, but pretty much all of them deliver something original and surprising. People mention Third, but the first two albums as well as Seven and also their last two appeal to me in different but unique ways. I love some Robert Wyatt solo work as well. Rock Bottom is maybe the album I'd rate highest among all of these bands  and their members, although it's hard to say because many are very good.

I'm not that much into Gentle Giant, but I respect them. Their live album Playing The Fool is very strong. Their studio work doesn't tend to grab me as strongly as VDGG and Soft Machine do, but no doubt are they also good and special.

Edited by Lewian - March 19 2024 at 11:37
Zappastolethetowels View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zappastolethetowels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2024 at 12:57
GG
Softs
_

_
VDGG
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2024 at 15:33
Originally posted by Zappastolethetowels Zappastolethetowels wrote:

GG
Softs
_

_
VDGG

Edited by Frets N Worries - March 19 2024 at 15:36
The Wheel of Time Turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the shadow.

TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheGazzardian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2024 at 16:24
Giving my vote to VdGG. 

Of the three, GG was my first favourite, but after listening to all 8 of their classic albums, they slowly fell out of my listening rotation. I spin maybe one or two albums a year these days, at most. Usually Acquiring the Taste or Octopus. Sometimes songs from the debut or Power and the Passion.

VdGG blew my mind with Pawn Hearts and now years later, I still listen to all of their seven classic albums, although Still Life probably gets the most spins these days despite not being my favourite initially.

Soft Machine I listen to every once in a while, I've tried a few of their albums and I like all of them but I never listened to any of them very much, it's something like one album every two or three years.

Edited by TheGazzardian - March 19 2024 at 16:25
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zappastolethetowels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2024 at 16:52
Originally posted by Frets N Worries Frets N Worries wrote:

Originally posted by Zappastolethetowels Zappastolethetowels wrote:

GG
Softs
_

_
VDGG

lol. why? LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2024 at 16:53
^The hate on VDGG

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zappastolethetowels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2024 at 16:56
oh come on, its not that big of a gap Wink
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2024 at 17:19
Van Der Graaf Generator gives me goosebumps at their best. Hammill is one of the best vocalists in prog imo. The more I listen the more I like.
Gentle Giant , tried and decided that they are not for me. Their music is let down by average vocals and boring drumming. I may revisit The Power And The Glory occasionally and for the early period Three Friends is interesting and has some genius moments (Schooldays especially). Mostly though their music has little flow and very little warmth or real emotion. 
Soft Machine are okay but much like say Camel and Supertramp will never be a favourite band for me. Jazz rock/ fusion loses me at the best of times anyway.
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2024 at 18:12
^ What made me realize that Hammill was an incredible singer was the live BBC sessions called After The Flood from 1968-1977 where he has so much confidence singing live, holding nothing back. His song writing will always be considered some of the best in Prog.

Voted Soft Machine followed by VDGG
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2024 at 18:21
^^ I still get the "bumps" from VdGG. Like TheGazzardian, Still Life is a favourite, and is the one that has been getting the most spins from me of late (the Least We Can Do, He to He and Pawn hearts trilogy have got the most spins over the years). While Gentle Giant was my favourite band at one time (then surpasses by PFM, which was surpassed by....) and I got to know VdGG at the same time, I did largely tire of GG, whereas VdGG is like the gift that keeps on giving for me (rather like what is said of VD). I still return to music off Three Friends and Acquiring the Taste sometimes, mostly. I'm not as into post-Octopus stuff.

For music to appeal and resonate can depend so much on what you are into now, I have found, and your history with music. But so much of it is not just down to exposure and situational elements, but also one's "innate" personality/ traits.
There is popular music in PA that I don't think I'll ever be into even if I can appreciate the music to some extent, such as Spock's Beard on the whole from my listening. It does not resonate or speak to me -- feels alienating to me.

Edited by Logan - March 19 2024 at 18:22
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>