FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe new F1 season

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The new F1 season
    Posted: February 03 2006 at 19:29

I know their is an F1 thread that has been resurrected recently, but here I'm going to put information on the changes from the end of last season and anyone can ask me questions on what i put down here.

The biggest (and only relevant change for the punter) change in the technical regs is that the engines have been reduced in size from 3 litre V10's to 2.4 litre V8's. That's a drop from 950 to 750hp. Tyre changes during the race have been allowed back in this year at the behest of Bridgestone. And once again there is a new qualifying system. There is also a new team.

The new qualifying system is set into three sections. In the first 10 minutes everyone will run on low fuel and new tyres (if they want) to set a fast time. At the end of the first 10 minutes the slowest 6 cars will be eliminated and their grid positions set. The second session will also be 10 minutes and the same rules apply, after the time the slowest 6 are eliminated leaving the fastest 10. These 10 get a 20 minute session but they are only allowed to fuel up at the start of the session and the same amount of fuel will be used to start the race (not the fuel left in the tank like last year). They will proceed to drive around burning of the fuel and setting times,they are also allowed to change tyres so for the final lap could bolt on a new set and get a time with low fuel and new tyres.

The Teams:

Renault

1. Fernando Alonso
  2. Gencarlo Fisichella
  3. Tester and Reserve- Heikki Kovaleinen

McLaren-Mercedes

1. Kimi Raikkonen
  2. Juan Pablo Montoya
  3. Pedro De La Rosa
  4. Garry Paffett

Ferrari

1. Micheal Schumacher
  2. Felipe Massa
  3. Luca Badoer
  4. Marc Gene

Toyota

1. Ralf Schumacher
  2. Jarno Trulli
  3. Ricardo Zonta
  4. Olivier Panis

Williams-Cosworth

1. Mark Webber
  2. Nico Rosberg
  3. Alexander Wurz
  4. Narain Karthikeyan

Honda (was BAR)

1. Jenson Button
  2. Reubans Barrichello
  3. Anthony Davidson

Red Bull

1. David Coulthard
  2. Christian Klien
  3. Robert Doornbos

BMW Sauber

1. Nick Heidfeld
  2. Jacques Viellneuve
  3. Robert Kubica

Midland Toyota (was Jordan)

1. Christian Albers
  2. Tiago Monteiro
  3. Georgio Mondini, Markus Winklehock, Adrian Sutil, Roman Rusinov (all test drivers)

Scudoria Torro Rosso (was Minardi)

1. Vitantonio Liuzzi
  2. Scott Speed
  3. Neel Jani

Super Aguri-Honda (New team)

1. Takuma Sato
  2. Yuji Ide
  3. TBC

Calender

1. Bahrain
  2. Malaysia
  3. Australia
  4. San Marino
  5. Europe
  6. Spain
  7. Monaco
  8. Britain
  9. Canada
  10. USA
  11. France
  12. Germany
  13. Hungary
  14. Turkey
  15. Italy
  16. China 

17. Japan

18. Brazil

I know this was long winded but any questions?

I'll add a season preview in a few weeks before the start of the season, by then I might know who's looking good and who isnt.

Edited by sleeper
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

krusty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2006 at 20:12
Yeah, are Ferrari still using Bridgestones? This is probably what lost Micheal Schumacher the title.
Goodyears seem to have the edge (apart from in the states)

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2006 at 05:51

Ferrari, Toyota, Williams, Midland and Suoer Aguri are all on Bridgestone. The rest are on Michelin, Goodyear hasnt competed in F1 since '98

As for last year, yes the Bridgestones were bad but the rest of the car wasnt a match for the Renault and McLaren either.

krusty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2006 at 08:44
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Ferrari, Toyota, Williams, Midland and Suoer Aguri are all on Bridgestone. The rest are on Michelin, Goodyear hasnt competed in F1 since '98

ooops  I meant Michelin!.

I just the impression that alot of Ferrari problems were down to tyres.
All the Bridgestone teams seemed to off the pace at most of the circuits and do better when circuit and weather suited them.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2006 at 09:43
Originally posted by krusty krusty wrote:

ooops  I meant Michelin!.

I just the impression that alot of Ferrari problems were down to tyres.
All the Bridgestone teams seemed to off the pace at most of the circuits and do better when circuit and weather suited them.

Ferraris car had a few aerodynamic and ballast distrobution problems last year but this years car looks to have got rid of them in testing so far.

Laurent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2006 at 15:35
It's gonna be interesting to see how Schumacher will fare this year.

Does he have it in him to win another championship?. Time will tell.

Edited by Laurent

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2006 at 12:31

A quick update for the fans here:

There will be no Belgium Grand Prix this year. After last years event the promotor Didier Defourney (spelling?) anounced bancruptcy. This meant that there was no money for the upgrades that the FIA had demanded that the track have done to meet safety regulations. It was thought that the regiouns government was in descusion for Bernie Ecclstone to take over the runing of the event. As it became apparent that the revisions would not be possible to complete on time for the septembre 17th event, it was decided to cancel this years race and push to have it re-introduced to the calender next year. There will now only be 18 races this year. 

Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2006 at 17:25

I'm surprised that Brazil will be the last GP of 2006... our GP should be together with USA and Canada to avoid costs. Perhaps the definition may happen here again. Sleeper, do you know the date of GP Brazil?

Also surprised with the presence of USA after the shameful events of 2005.

Guigo

~~~~~~
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2006 at 19:45
Originally posted by Atkingani Atkingani wrote:

I'm surprised that Brazil will be the last GP of 2006... our GP should be together with USA and Canada to avoid costs. Perhaps the definition may happen here again. Sleeper, do you know the date of GP Brazil?

Penciled in for October 22nd, but apparently it is still to be confirmed due to ongoing contract negotiations. I shouldnt worry, Brazil is the only South American GP and the FIA arnt too keen for it to go, plus even the local courts couldnt stop the race a couple of years ago so it will almost certanly go ahead.

As for the US, Michelin payed up a fair bit in refunds, its next years race that is in danger if Tony George (Indy owner) isnt happy.

Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2006 at 20:05

Originally posted by Atkingani Atkingani wrote:

Penciled in for October 22nd, but apparently it is still to be confirmed due to ongoing contract negotiations. I shouldnt worry, Brazil is the only South American GP and the FIA arnt too keen for it to go, plus even the local courts couldnt stop the race a couple of years ago so it will almost certanly go ahead.

As for the US, Michelin payed up a fair bit in refunds, its next years race that is in danger if Tony George (Indy owner) isnt happy.

Thanks, Sleeper...

I am quite surprised by the date since October 1st is the date of our Presidential Elections, in case of a 2nd shift (which is probable) the date will be October 29th. The GP Brazil will happen in the middle of a hot election campaign.  

Anyway, I know that money is the main motor of modern F1 but erasing from the calendar a nation that has 3 champions, 8 titles and only loses to Britain in number of victories is too commercial for my understanding.  

Guigo

~~~~~~
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 17:20

I've made some changes to the driver line-ups, Super guri has now confirmed there second driver and Midland has confirmed there testers.

BTW Atkingani, Berni would only have moved the date for some massive sporting event (like the World Cup)

aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 18:04

wow, you are a real fan...where's that racing avatar of yours?

anyway, I hope this year's competition to be higher for no.1

I expect many things from Massa

pitty that Spa is out, one of the best circuits

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2006 at 08:57
Originally posted by aapatsos aapatsos wrote:

wow, you are a real fan...where's that racing avatar of yours?

anyway, I hope this year's competition to be higher for no.1

I expect many things from Massa

pitty that Spa is out, one of the best circuits

I'm a walking encyclopedia on motorsport in genral (but not NASCAR) about a week before the start of the new season I'll do a preview but at the moment the top 5 teams look very close in testing.

As for my avy, I'll probably put another race car in some time soon

sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 18:36

Right, when I made this thread I promised I'd make a preview for the forthcoming season, so here it is. All information has been garnered from ITV-F1.com and Autosport magazine.

The race for this years world championship will be much more open this year than it has been for the last couple of years. Renault will start the championship in Bahrain next weekend as favourites for the title as reigning world champions. The team has clearly kept its pace from last year leading the times in most test sessions held since they launched there new car at the end of January. Testing also seems to show that the two drivers (Fisichella, Alonso) are more closely matched this year than last. McLaren has had a lot of problems with the new Mercedes engine both in terms of reliability and power but in the last couple of weeks they have become considerably more reliable and have matched, or beaten, their opposition in testing times. I expect them to have a season similar to last year with a very fast car but lots of failiers. Raikkonen appears to be having all the luck at the moment but Montoya could prove to be a match for him as long as the car holds together long enough. Honda (formerly BAR) is the team to join them at the front, Buttons testing form seems to show that he has an advantage over Barichello and that the car is a match for the Renault over a race distance, but slightly slower on a single lap, hears hopping JB wins a few this year.

Its difficult to tell whether Ferrari are going to challenge for the tittle this year but there's no doubt that their going to do better than last. IMO they wont be challenging at the start but I wont be to surprised to see them fighting fro wins with Renault, McLaren and Honda later in the year. Schumacher is obviously going to be the leading driver hear.

Williams, Toyota, Red Bull and BMW-Sauber appear to be the three teams fighting it out just behind the top 4 and on their day could beet a couple of them. Williams especially could be very fast in qualifying but it appears that the Bridgstone tyres wont hold up as well as the Michelins (this will hurt Ferrari as well) so BMW could win this little fight.

Minardis replacement team, Scudurea Torro Roso, appears to be left slightly behind the last 4 but ahead of Midland and the brand new Super Aguri team. SA will be extremely slow in the first three races as their using a 4 year old car that's been slightly modified to meet current regulations. The team plans to have an all new car out at the first European race (Imola) but this will still be behind the rest, just not quite as far behind.

Basically I reckon these guys will be fighting for the tittle

• Alonso
  • Fisichella
  • Button
  • Barichello
  • Montoya
  • Raikkonan
  • Schumacher

So, waddya reckon

Edited by sleeper

Dr Know View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 20:33
Do you know the date of the first Grand Prix in Bahrain?Smile
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2006 at 20:49
If Barrichello won the championship a great source of jokes will disappear here in Brazil.
Guigo

~~~~~~
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2006 at 09:22

Originally posted by Dr Know Dr Know wrote:

Do you know the date of the first Grand Prix in Bahrain?Smile

March 12, next sunday.

Post Reply Post Reply