Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBands that should and shouldn’t be here

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: What bands should/shouldn’t be here?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
9 [4.59%]
7 [3.57%]
37 [18.88%]
2 [1.02%]
64 [32.65%]
10 [5.10%]
16 [8.16%]
2 [1.02%]
2 [1.02%]
47 [23.98%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bands that should and shouldn’t be here
    Posted: October 18 2004 at 21:34

I chose a few bands I've been looking into. I have no opinion on any of these personally, as I haven't heard enough music from any of them. And yes, I know Smashing Pumpkins is not even close, but I read somewhere that they were prog-oriented alternative.... Anyway, don't post stuff saying "hey, this should be here" or "that isn't even close" because it's useless. Just focus on what IS in this poll, and tell me why you voted the way you did. That's ALL you should do.

penguindf12 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2004 at 21:35
Oh yeah, and you can vote more than once, but don't abuse it and only vote once per item here.

Edited by penguindf12
gdub411 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2004 at 21:49

I own Captain beefheart..I forget which one...something mask replica...I don't know. It just seems like silly lyrics with lots of jamming

Radiohead...no. I listened to their so-called Proggy cd and thought maybe 1-2 songs but overall I would say they were alternative

Smashing Pumpkins absolutely not. They can be a little trippy at times but i wouldn't say they were experimental....fairly straight forward alternative.

Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2004 at 22:19

Whoever told you the Smashing Pumpkins are prog oriented doesn't know what they're talking about.  There are maybe one or two songs on Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness that could be passed off as prog, but that album features everything from death metal to melodic piano based instrumentals.

asuma View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2004 at 22:27
radiohead should not. alt rock. not art rock.
*Remember all advice given by Asuma is for entertainment purposes only. Asuma is not a licensed medical doctor, psychologist, or counselor and he does not play one on TV.*
Petra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2004 at 07:53

I agree Smashing Pumpkins are not in the slightest bit proggy.

Don't hate me
I'm not special like you
Nizzy View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2004 at 10:06

Depends how we're going to define progressive. Beefheart albums like Trout Mask and the later Ice Cream For Crow were definitely a progression from most of the music his contemporaries were making at the time, so are prog by definition.

Even the big names like Genesis, Yes, ELP, Floyd weren't always progressive, in that they didn't move on from what  they themselves had done previously. Yes only did so until 90125 - which saw them moving OUT of prog - Genesis' last truly progressive album was Abacab, never to return, the last couple of ELP albums were AOR pap - yes, even Pirates, which sounds like Lloyd Webber - and Floyd's SOUND progressed not at all after Dark Side of the Moon.

Radiohead and Smashing Pumpkins, while both excellent at times, lack both the spirit of adventure AND the sense of humour essential in prog. OK Computer and The Bends were fantastic, but anyone could listen to a few Boards of Canada/Squarepusher releases on Warp and come up with Kid A. As for the Pumpkins, they always seemed to be playing miserabilist neo-Goth (God, those awful lyrics!) with a bit of Thin Lizzy thrown in.

And if ELO are prog, so are Oasis. Each took a different aspect of the classic Beatles sound and ran with it. But prog? I think not. Only prog ELO track that springs to mind is 10538 Overture (as "borrowed" by both Paul Weller for Changingman and Ian Brown for My Star).

Carl floyd fan View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2004 at 11:52
okay, someone doesn't like radiohead and voted no like 10 or 15 times.  Someone is abusing the multi-vote making this poll crap.
Petra View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2004 at 13:03
Originally posted by Nizzy Nizzy wrote:

Radiohead and Smashing Pumpkins, while both excellent at times, lack both the spirit of adventure AND the sense of humour essential in prog. OK Computer and The Bends were fantastic, but anyone could listen to a few Boards of Canada/Squarepusher releases on Warp and come up with Kid A. As for the Pumpkins, they always seemed to be playing miserabilist neo-Goth (God, those awful lyrics!) with a bit of Thin Lizzy thrown in.

Woooo! That’s some statement, I am a Radiohead, Boards of Canada and Warp Records fan too but surely you are not saying that Radiohead are in some way inferior to them!!?  Radiohead’s diversity into electronica proves that the band is not afraid to evolve and progress and indeed have a spirit of adventure. But I understand what you are saying about Kid A borrowing from those Warp bands for instance ‘idioteque’ would sound like Aphex Twin and ‘ Tree Fingers’ could be BOC if not for one massive big difference and that is Thom Yorkes emotional and heart rendering lyrics and vocals! I think what totally sets Radiohead apart from other electroncia artists is their music so much more passionate, emotive. But they don’t belong in the archives though.

Sense of humour essential in prog?  Try telling Tool that

Don't hate me
I'm not special like you
frenchie View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2004 at 15:26
i am strongly opossed to radiohead being on here. even tho i love them loads i just dont think they qualify as prog. they have many prog elements but not enough to make them a prog band.

smashing pumpkins are more progressive, machina and adore are pretty much concept albums and mellon collie has many prog elements but i'm still not sure about them being on here either. prog grunge? i dont know. but radiohead definetly no.
The Worthless Recluse
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2004 at 15:31

Radiohead should be here as they are sufficiently experimental and are not easy to slot into any particular genre.They certainly could not be accused of courting radio airplay despite their name.

ELO should not.They are a pop group.Only their very early stuff has any relevance to prog.If they are brought in then I would think that the people who run this site have lost the plot completely.

will View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2004 at 15:42
Like many other people i agree that neither radiohead or smashing pumpkins belong on this site. I dont have much of an opinion on the other bands apart from porcupine tree who should definetly stay.
Long live progression.
Will
Nizzy View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2004 at 15:51

Tool with no sense of humour, Petra? What about Maynard's wigs? Wait a minute, maybe they ain't meant to be funny...

Keep spreading the word re Warp though, specially Squarepusher. That boy's got a strange brain but I like what he's thinking

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2004 at 16:32

I vote for Radiohead - and would vote for Muse, who are easily as progressive as any of the prog metal bands I've heard to date.

What many seem to overlook with Radiohead is exactly what Richard H is pointing out - they explore, they progress. Forget the overall "flavour" - this "alt" or "indie" label belongs to some of their earlier material, and perhaps some of the more recent. Calling Radiohead "indie" is like calling Jethro Tull "folk", Mahavishnu Orchestra "jazz", or Zappa "Classical". It just misses the point of prog, IMO.

Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2004 at 17:14

I cannot agree that Radiohead are prog. They are a very good band who do experiment, but do not try to push the boundaries with their musicianship and instrumentation.Nor are they symphonic.

To my mind, if Radiohead are prog then so too are U2, which is patently ridiculous.U2 constantly evolve their sound and experiment with different influences, but this does not make them progressive rock.

They are both blinding rock bands and difficult to pigeonhole.To me Rush (my favourite group) have not really been Prog Rock since Moving Pictures either. I would put them in the same ballpark as U2 and Radiohead.

Nizzy View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2004 at 18:05

Hi Reed.

I think Rush still qualify as a prog band because they have progressed, simple as that. I was stunned at the recent Glasgow show just how well the newer material, much of which I had been unfamiliar with until I bought Rush In Rio, fitted in with the old classics.

It's made me want to back and buy up all the back catalogue stuff I've missed out on, not having gone out and bought a new album since Hold Your Fire.

Certif1ed, you're right - Muse are DEFINITELY prog, and pretty good with it.

arqwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2004 at 18:32

Although i'd like to have RADIOHEAD in here i know they don't belong... like so many other heavy metal bands that has been added lately. anyway, RADIOHEAD has a lot of good vibes and tunes to be considered "prog", at least they are chainging the way we see at popular and rock music.

peace

between darkness and light
gdub411 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2004 at 18:54
Originally posted by Nizzy Nizzy wrote:

Depends how we're going to define progressive. Beefheart albums like Trout Mask and the later Ice Cream For Crow were definitely a progression from most of the music his contemporaries were making at the time, so are prog by definition.

Even the big names like Genesis, Yes, ELP, Floyd weren't always progressive, in that they didn't move on from what  they themselves had done previously. Yes only did so until 90125 - which saw them moving OUT of prog - Genesis' last truly progressive album was Abacab, never to return, the last couple of ELP albums were AOR pap - yes, even Pirates, which sounds like Lloyd Webber - and Floyd's SOUND progressed not at all after Dark Side of the Moon.

And if ELO are prog, so are Oasis. Each took a different aspect of the classic Beatles sound and ran with it. But prog? I think not. Only prog ELO track that springs to mind is 10538 Overture (as "borrowed" by both Paul Weller for Changingman and Ian Brown for My Star).

1st...Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon=Animals. Also when I listen to the Wall I do NOT think Dark Side of The Moon

2nd...to describe Progressive as whether or not a band has progressed from 1 album to the next isn't the definition of progressive. Under your logic then Genesis- Foxtrot and Selling England By the Pound aren't progressive because they used the same basic formula to create these albums as they did in Nursery Cryme....I won't even start analyzing Yes as my head will start to spin. Progressive is not a scale to measure how far the band has moved on since its previous album. That would make the Violent Femmes the most progressive band on the planet as every one of their releases would serve to alienate some group of fans as they continued to experiment and change their style on a yearly basis. While I love the Violent Femmes I wouldn't dream of calling them progressive!!

Cheers....welcome to the Forums

Edited by gdub411
Dragon Phoenix View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2004 at 19:23
Those of you who are shocked by the proposal of the Smshing Pumpkins: on another website, Madness was listed as prog rock....
Nizzy View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2004 at 19:29

gdub - well, when you put it like that...!

OK, agreed mate. I just hate the idea that you need a cape and a degree in Dungeons & Dragons to be a prog band.

Re Genesis, I was thinking more Lamb to Abacab. Now that's progress (if not PROGress).

What about the Femmes - is Gano still rockin'?

Thanks for your welcome.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>