Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTime signatures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time signatures
    Posted: April 17 2006 at 15:49
Can anybody enlighten me in this matter? How can you tell that the song is e. g. in 13/8?

(To admins: I'm not sure in which section to post it. Move it if you have to.)

Sorry for my ignorance
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Zoso View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 16:00
Count. 
Tasartir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 16:11

Hmm, this is quite a complicated question. My drummer back in Chile taught me. He always told me that you have to "feel" the music, "feel" the rhythm, and after I realized how to know what time signature each song is in I understood what he meant by "feel" the music. Basically what you have to do is count notes, start real easy with something that's obviously in 4/4, some Jamiroquai maybe, or most stuff that's commercial nowadays. Just count as the music goes by...1.2.3.4...1.2.3.4. It's like a clock 1.2.3.4. Then find something that's in 3/4, try to find it by yourself, something that you might dance a Waltz to, something that makes you sway...like Neal Morse's "Outside Looking In" or A Perfect Circle's "Judith" or Tool's "Push*t" or Yes' "We Have Heaven" (that's a pretty clear one). I don't know, just count how many beats you hear in between the accentuation of the drums. The drummer has to accentuate certain notes so you'll hear big beat and then a couple of lower sounding beats then another big beat and that second big beat will mark the start of the next stanza so you'll start counting again.

3/4 :

Big beat =1

Small Beat = 2

Small Beat = 2

Big beat = 1 again and repeat.

I really hope this helps because it helped me a lot with my guitar, I have a better understanding of musice now...and all thanks to my drummer. Thanks Jonathan if you're reading this, you taught me a lot...

Tasartir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 16:18
Oops I messed up, Small beat number two should be labelled 3, but I guess you get it.
Catholic Flame View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 16:25

6/8 has the pulse of a slow 2. 12/8 would be the pulse of a slow 4. 13/8 would be the slow 4 plus the extra 13. It's called a compound rhythm because the beats cannot be divided into two. There are three going across each of the pulses. Plus the 13th throws in more complexity.

“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.”

~Jack Kerouac
Zoso View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 16:29
Right, it's all about feeling the rhythm.

Listen to "Money" by Pink Floyd, a song that's in 7/8. Tap your foot along with the bassline, and you'll see that there are 7 beats for every time through the phrase. It will be obvious once you do it.

Now for something harder. Listen to the opening riff in YYZ by Rush, and see if you can pick out how it's in 5/4. It's not as obvious as in Money, but it's there. When you hear something funny, try to just break it down and tap your foot along with it, counting how many beats are in each phrase.
Rust View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 16:30

3/4 = The three means that the song has three beats per measure. Once those three beats are done, then your in a new measure, and you count to three agian.
The four means that the quarter note gets counted three times.

If the song is in 3/8 then that means each measure is three beats long. The eight means that you count it twice as fast as you would in 3/4 time, since 8 is twice that of 4. The eight meaning that the eighth note gets counted three times. All music consists of measure and all measures are a certain amount of time, usually in incriments of 4. If the amount of time that a measure is,(the bottom of a time signature), is 16 then that usually means you would count the measure quickly, in this case 4 times as fast as a song conducted in 3/4.

Siberian Khatru is played in the time of, 15/16, meaning that the song is obviously fast, (16), and that the song is counted in incriments of 15, (15), and so you have the time of 15/16.

Confused?  I'm sure you are, it is confusing to learn by reading, you need someone that knows how to do this to be there with you to explain.

We got to pump the stuff to make us tough
from the heart
Its astart
What we need is awareness we cant get careless
Mental self defensive fitness
Make everybody see in order to fight the powers that be
Duncan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 16:46
Originally posted by Catholic Flame Catholic Flame wrote:

6/8 has the pulse of a slow 2. 12/8 would be the pulse of a slow 4. 13/8 would be the slow 4 plus the extra 13. It's called a compound rhythm because the beats cannot be divided into two. There are three going across each of the pulses. Plus the 13th throws in more complexity.

Yeah, and 9/8 divides into a slow 3. Exactly like Apocalypse in 9/8 doesn't.
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 16:52

Originally posted by Zoso Zoso wrote:

Listen to "Money" by Pink Floyd, a song that's in 7/8. Tap your foot along with the bassline, and you'll see that there are 7 beats for every time through the phrase. It will be obvious once you do it.

Now for something harder. Listen to the opening riff in YYZ by Rush, and see if you can pick out how it's in 5/4. It's not as obvious as in Money, but it's there. When you hear something funny, try to just break it down and tap your foot along with it, counting how many beats are in each phrase.

Money has a triplet feel. It is one measure of 12/8 followed by one measure of 9/8, or 21/8. You can tap the triplets between the beats easier than doing 16th notes.

Originally posted by Duncan Duncan wrote:

Right, time signatures can be divided in multiple ways. 9/8, for example can be played like 3 triplets, or as a measure of 4/4 with an extra 8th note thrown in (or a 5/4 missing an 8th note).

Edited by Moatilliatta
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
Catholic Flame View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 20:26

I'm talking the pulse, not the beat. It does divide into 3.
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.”

~Jack Kerouac
video vertigo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 20:29

I'm talking the pulse, not the beat. It does divide into 3.

but Apocalypse almost sounds as if its not in 9/8, I think thats why its in the title because they did such a good job at 9/8 it sounds so right you wouldn't think its in 9/8

"The rock and roll business is pretty absurd, but the world of serious music is much worse." - Zappa
Scrambled_Eggs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 20:38

Actually, I think the time signature for "Money" is in 7/4 not 7/8.  At least that's what I 'ear. Does anyone know for sure?

And I am not frightened of dying, any time will do, I
don't mind. Why should I be frightened of dying?
There's no reason for it, you've gotta go sometime.
I never said I was frightened of dying.
Duncan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 20:41
Sorry, that Apocalypse... comment was in jest. It's just an odd example of 9/8 as far as I'm aware, because it lacks that compound ONEtwothreeTWOtwothreeTHREEtwothree beat. And Genesis just had to put the time signature in the title anyhow.
Moatilliatta View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 20:57

Originally posted by Scrambled_Eggs Scrambled_Eggs wrote:

Actually, I think the time signature for "Money" is in 7/4 not 7/8.  At least that's what I 'ear. Does anyone know for sure?

Read my post:

Originally posted by Moatilliatta Moatilliatta wrote:

Money has a triplet feel. It is one measure of 12/8 followed by one measure of 9/8, or 21/8. You can tap the triplets between the beats easier than doing 16th notes.

It is more like 7/4 than 7/8 though, because it's basically a 7/4 only with triplets.

Edited by Moatilliatta
www.last.fm/user/ThisCenotaph
Barla View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 21:54

(I tell you as a musician) For example, we take this:

6/4

6 represents the number of times the time signature is repeated.

4 represents the time signature ( for example these ones , I really don't know how are they called in english  -remember, I talk spanish-).

Hope you understand it .

Ghandi 2 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 17 2006 at 22:45

Interesting comments by all. All I'm going to say is that I honestly don't care what the time signature is; I don't care what key the song is in; and I most certainly don't care how difficult it is for the musician to play; all I care about is how good it sounds and how it affects me, the listener. Nothing else matters.

Now if switching rapidly from 13/8 to 7/4 to 3/8 to 5/4 and playing in the keys of Fsharp7 and Dsharp7 (those are keys, right?) makes the song sound better, than go right ahead. However, I think that too many people here on PA overanalyze the music to find things that really aren't important, because for some reason it's important to them that the musician kill himself playing this song correctly.

BTW, I'm not insulting anyone who responded to this thread; I'm talking about other things that I have seen here on PA.

video vertigo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 02:16
Its amazing how difficult some of the responses sound.  Its really a simple concept.  the bottom number indicates which type of note gets the beat the top indicates how many of those notes per measure.
4/4 quater note gets the beat and 4 quater notes per measure so simple
"The rock and roll business is pretty absurd, but the world of serious music is much worse." - Zappa
Thyme Traveler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 02:42

Sometimes it isn't that simple. You're really talking about two different things- how the music "feels" and how it is notated- and sometimes the two aren't always the same. And often there is more than one way to notate a song which works.

I once wrote a song which "felt" like 4/4 time, but ended up having way too many ties to the next measure to properly notate it in 4/4 so I wrote the arrangement as 12/8 time even though in my mind, it still seemed like a simple 4/4 song.

Fire up the flux capacitor ! We're taking this Delorean through all four dimensions.

What is the future of prog ? Genesis reunion ? I'm not telling!That could upset the thyme/space continuum.
Tasartir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 09:25

Oh and listen to Fandango by Pain of Salvation, that seems to be in 5/4, very interesting. Also "A Trace of Blood" by Pain of Salvation as well, that's in 7/4. But if you're looking for really messed up time signatures listen to TOOL specially "The Grudge" and "AEnima" which is kind of freaky at the end. If you want more of a challange try King Crimson, they're masters at it, just listen to "21st Century Schizoid Man" and try to find out the time signature there and then work your way into their stuff that way, you'll be surprised at how many things you can do with a simple rhythm.

BiGi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 09:46
I'm listening to IQ's Dark Matter...it's amazing how they make a "simple" 6/8 sound so weird...
I'm referring to Born Brilliant and the section of Harvest of Souls that starts at 17'49" (the rhythm pattern is identical)
On the other hand, the central section of Genesis' Mad Man Moon is in 7/8, but it goes so natural that you hardly notice it.
Ditto with Living in the Past by Jethro Tull (5/4).

Another outstanding example of weird (and mixed) time signatures is the first section of Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells (the one whose revisitation on Tubular Bells II has been named Sentinel): it is a combination of 9/8 and 7/8.
And also Goblin's most famous theme (at least in Italy) Profondo Rosso shifts continuously from 7/8 to 8/8.
A flower?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>