Topic ClosedJohann Sebastian Bach

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Johann Sebastian Bach
    Posted: June 07 2006 at 17:44

Recently I've picked up a CD with some of J. S. Bach's compositions. And I really enjoy it (listening to it right now )!

It's performed by a French ensemble Cafe Zimmermann. They use instruments from the epoch (like a harpsichord e. g.) so presumably the music is pretty similar to how it sounded in Bach's times.

Do you know any prog inspired by J. S. Bach's music?

"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
WaywardSon View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 18:11
Not really Prog, but Malmsteens Concerto album is great.
krusty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2006 at 18:15
Can't think of any JS Bach inspired prog. at the moment but would reconmend
Glenn Gould's A state of wonder - The complete Goldberg variations
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00006GOCJ/qid=1149717887/sr=8-3/ref=pd_ka_3/202-6269266-9527044

It's so beautifully played and such sweet music you'll have a permanent smile through the entire CD.
I just love Bach, he was a true genius, like Einstein was to physics.

Paul K. View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 03:08
I have 88 mp3s of Bach's piano, harpischord and organ music. And I have to say, that it's BORING.

Certainly he's written better music, but sadly I didn't have a chance to check it out. Maybe some recommendations?
Weasels ripped my flesh
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 03:21
Originally posted by krusty krusty wrote:

Can't think of any JS Bach inspired prog. at the moment but would reconmend
Glenn Gould's A state of wonder - The complete Goldberg variations
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00006GOCJ/qid=1149717887/sr=8-3/ref=pd_ka_3/202-6269266-9527044

It's so beautifully played and such sweet music you'll have a permanent smile through the entire CD.
I just love Bach, he was a true genius, like Einstein was to physics.

Incidentially, Gould recorded the Goldberg variations twice; they were his very first recording and a smashing debut; no-one had ever played the Goldberg variations with so much fire. And they were his very last recording too; a more "mature" version, but you can hear the fire is still there, if you listen closely.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 03:30
Originally posted by Paul K. Paul K. wrote:

I have 88 mp3s of Bach's piano, harpischord and organ music. And I have to say, that it's BORING.

Certainly he's written better music, but sadly I didn't have a chance to check it out. Maybe some recommendations?

Boring????Angry Did you really listen to it? How the different voices intertwine in incredible complexity? Sorry, but if you think of this music as "boring", there is no help for you with Bach. I for my part get so much pleasure from these different voices responding to each other. And if Bach is really played right on keyboards, he grooves, nay, he even rocks! And I mean it! Just listen to the first Gould recording of the Goldberg variations.
The only way this music can be boring is if a player just noodles it.
Boring! Ha!!!!! Angry

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 03:42
I like J.S.Bach's works which have choruses and singing, there's just so great harmonies and melodies to be found on them. I have found the best gems from his cantatas, which he composed for single event masses only. (!)

There's a small prog/Bach tune on other of the poor ELP's "Works" albums, where Carl plays some stuff by him (also PÄR LINDH PROJECT's "Mundus" something has some Bach influenced music I think).
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 04:41
To me Bach is math, it doesn't touch me on any level.  JSB, the DT of his time? Discuss.Wink

As far as classical music goes, I don't much care for much of anything before approximately the turn of the last century.

And when it comes to piano pieces nothing has Eric Satie beat (particularly his less well-known stuff, which is pretty much anything but the Gymnopedies or Gnossiennes). In fact, I consider my interest in Prog to have been grounded at least partially in having grown up on Satie and his surprising twists and turns and his often savagely humorous defying of the listener's expectations.

Edited by Teaflax - June 08 2006 at 04:42
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 04:59
Originally posted by Teaflax Teaflax wrote:

To me Bach is math, it doesn't touch me on any level.  JSB, the DT of his time? Discuss.Wink

As far as classical music goes, I don't much care for much of anything before approximately the turn of the last century.

And when it comes to piano pieces nothing has Eric Satie beat (particularly his less well-known stuff, which is pretty much anything but the Gymnopedies or Gnossiennes). In fact, I consider my interest in Prog to have been grounded at least partially in having grown up on Satie and his surprising twists and turns and his often savagely humorous defying of the listener's expectations.

"To me Bach is math, it doesn't touch me on any level."

this is such a shame, as i believe JS Bach can produce so much emotion, sadness and humour from each and every note - have you heard "The Well Tempered Clavier", this is such a piece! i get tingles every time i listen to it,  i'm pleased you like Satie though, he is another such composer who has written deeply haunting music, especially theGymnopedies or Gnossiennes!
Prog Archives Tour Van
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 05:32
I've heard plenty of Bach in m'day. My ex-Father in Law was deeply appalled at my indifference to Bach, so...yeah.

As noted, I find that the Gymnopedies, Gnossiennes and Sarabandes -  while quite pleasant and worthy pieces - are really nothing compared to La Belle Excentrique, Jack in the Box, Embryons desseches, Sonatine Automatique and particularly the Dali movie soundtrack Entr'acte and the ballet Parade.

And don't forget that among Satie's biggest supporters and fans were Ravel and Debussy, the latter of which is said to have been very inspired buy Satie's compositional style. He's far too obscure for the actual effect he's had on modern music, if you ask me.

As for emotion - I don't belive you can say it is produced by any piece of music; it is produced by the listener. For someone, right now, the most touching thing in the world is David Hasselhoff singing Secret Agent Man, for yet another person it is the instrumental section of Genesis' Fly on a Windshield and for a third it's Fats Waller slamming his way though Ain't Misbehavin'.

For me, Bach is just flat. Yeah, I can note that on a technical level, it's quite an achievement, but I don't understand why I would want to spend time listening to something that I feel that, for all that's going on, is ultimately static.

Edited by Teaflax - June 08 2006 at 05:33
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 06:32

I've heard plenty of Bach in m'day. My ex-Father in Law was deeply appalled at my indifference to Bach, so...yeah.

As noted, I find that the Gymnopedies, Gnossiennes and Sarabandes -  while quite pleasant and worthy pieces - are really nothing compared to La Belle Excentrique, Jack in the Box, Embryons desseches, Sonatine Automatique and particularly the Dali movie soundtrack Entr'acte and the ballet Parade.

And don't forget that among Satie's biggest supporters and fans were Ravel and Debussy, the latter of which is said to have been very inspired buy Satie's compositional style. He's far too obscure for the actual effect he's had on modern music, if you ask me.

As for emotion - I don't belive you can say it is produced by any piece of music; it is produced by the listener. For someone, right now, the most touching thing in the world is David Hasselhoff singing Secret Agent Man, for yet another person it is the instrumental section of Genesis' Fly on a Windshield and for a third it's Fats Waller slamming his way though Ain't Misbehavin'.

For me, Bach is just flat. Yeah, I can note that on a technical level, it's quite an achievement, but I don't understand why I would want to spend time listening to something that I feel that, for all that's going on, is ultimately static.

you obviously never heard Glenn Gould's first recording of the Goldberg variations, else you could not say such nonsense as "Bach is static". he is "ecstatic" here

Edited by BaldJean - June 08 2006 at 06:32

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 06:35
Yeah, "obviously". :P
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 07:05
One must have a heart of stone to stay unaffected listening to Kathleen Ferrier singing Bach arias, or hearing a quality performance of his St. Matthew Passion. And how about parts of the cello suites? Cembalo concertos? Full of fire and passion.

Most (aleast up to Beethoven) composers made an incredible amount of compositions for royal weddings, birthdays, religious mass, funerals etc... When you've made over 500 vocal works like Bach (or 104 symphonies like Haydn!) there's bound to be some repetative, boring stuff. Which of course means, what you've heard and who's performing is crucial to what you think of the composer.

I've heard this math thing a lot of times. My guess is that is says more about the performers than Bach.
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Paul K. View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 07:09
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Boring???? Did you really listen to it? How the different voices intertwine in incredible complexity? Sorry, but if you think of this music as "boring", there is no help for you with Bach. I for my part get so much pleasure from these different voices responding to each other. And if Bach is really played right on keyboards, he grooves, nay, he even rocks! And I mean it! Just listen to the first Gould recording of the Goldberg variations.
The only way this music can be boring is if a player just noodles it.
Boring! Ha!!!!!

Well, I surmise I have wrong mp3s
I listened to these tracks a couple of times and I really tried to get into it, but failed.
Here's the list of compositions I've got:

Nathan Milstein violin

Sonata No. 1 in G minor, BWV 1001
I: Adagio                          4:18
II: Fuga (Allegro)                    4:46
III: Siciliana                         3:24
IV: Presto                         2:11
Recorded: 26 & 31 March 1954               14:46

Das Orgelbьchlein

Avent / Advent

1. Nun komm' der Heiden Heiland BWV 599          1'32
2. Gottes Sohn ist kommen BWV 600               1'12
3. Heir Christ, der ein'ge Gottes Sohn BWV 601          1'44

Noлl / Christmas

4. Lob sei dem allmachtigen Gott BWV 602               0'59
5. Puer natus est in Bethlehem BWV 603               0'55
6. Gelobet seist du Jesu Christ BWV 604               1'34
7. Der Tag, der ist so freudenreich BWV 605               1'50
8. Vom Himmel hoch, da komm' ich her BWV 606          0'46
9. Vom Himmel kam der Engel Schar BWV 607               1'15
10. In dulci jubilo BWV 608                         1'33
11. Lobt Gott, ihr Christen, alizugleich BWV 609          0'50
12. Jesu, meine Freude BWV 610                    2'48
13. Christum wir sollen loben schon BWV 611               2'01
14. Wir Christenleut' BWV 612                    1'20

Nouvel an / New Year

15. Helft mir Gottes Gute preisen BWV 613               1'10
16. Das alte Jahr vergangen ist BWV 614               2'22
17. In dir ist Freude BWV 615                    2'42

Cantique de Simeon / Song of Simeon

18. Mit Fried' und Freud' fahr' ich dahin BWV 616          2'03
19. Herr Gott, nun schleuss den Himmel auf BWV 617          2'23

Passion

20. O Lamm Gottes, unschuldig BWV 618               3'06
21. Christe, du Lamm Gottes BWV 619               1'09
22. Christus, der uns selig macht BWV 620               2'14
23. Da Jesu an dem Kreuze stund BWV 621               1'41
24. O Mensch, bewein' dein Sunde gross BWV 622          5'05
25. Wir danken dir, Herr Jesu Christ BWV 623               1'11
26. Hilf Gott, dass mir' s gelinge BWV 624               1'31
27. Christ lag in Todesbanden BWV 625               2'00
28. Jesus Christus, unser Heiland BWV 626               1'18

Pвques / Easter

29. Christ ist erstanden BWV 627                    4'00
30. Erstanden ist der Heil'ge Christ BWV 628               0'47
31. Erschienen ist der herrliche Tag BWV 629               1'15
32. Heut' triumphieret Gottes Sohn BWV 630               1'22

Pentecфte / Whitsuntide

33. Komm, Gott Schopfer, Heiliger Geist BWV 631          0'54

Glaubenslieder   

34. Herr Jesu Christ, dich zu uns wend' BWV 632          1'20
35. Liebster Jesu, wir sind hier BWV 633               1'36
36. Dies' sind die heil'gen zehn Gebot' BWV 634               1'42
37. Vater unser im Himmeireich BWV 635               1'35
38. Durch Adams Fall ist ganz verderbt BWV 636          2'11
39. Es ist das Heil uns kommen her BWV 637               1'04
40. Ich ruf zu dir, Herr Jesu Christ BWV 638               2’14
41. In dich hab' ich gehoffet, Herr BWV 639               1'01
42. Wenn wir in hochsten Noten sein BWV 640               2'08
43. Wer nur den lieben Gott lasst walten BWV 641          2'11
44. Alle Menschen mussen sterben BWV 642               1'45
45. Ach wie nichtig, ach wie fluchtig BWV 643               0'45

DAS WOHLTEMPERIERTE KLAVIER THE
WELL-TEMPERED CLAVIER BWV846-893

GUSTAV LEONHARDT
Teil II/part II
Cembalo/Harpsichord
(David Rubio, Oxford, nach/after Pascal Taskin,
Martin Skowroneck, Bremen 1962, nach/after
J.D. Dulcken, Anvers 1745)
Aufgenommen im tiefen Kammerton/Recorded
at low pitch

Weasels ripped my flesh
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 07:23
Well, golly. Sign me up as stone-hearted, then (although I don't think my wife would agree). Any aria leaves me cold. I don't consider the operatic style of voice handling to be actual singing, it's more like a circus performance. "Yes, right - very impressive and all, but now would you just relax for a bloomin' second and sing with your actual voice, please?"

I'm fairly sure I've heard Glenn Gould, what with it being the hallmark of Bachery, and all. I think it's a pointless exercise to try to convince me that there's something there that I'm missing, because it's a style of composition I find utterly devoid of anything interesting.

I will agree that performances and interpretations play a large part in classical music (I remember buying a particularly lacklustre version of Carmina Burana a few years ago, and it was almost unlistenable), but I really don't think that there's anything that can be done to Bach for me to find fascinating.

Like I said, I can understand that it has qualities, but those qualities are not ones I look for in music (and please; "fire" and "passion" - these are in no way whatsoever intrinsic to the works, these are things that you - and many, many others -  get out of them and I clearly don't). It's no great loss. There is so much great music to be found in this world that closing that particular door doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Edited by Teaflax - June 08 2006 at 07:24
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 07:46

Well, golly. Sign me up as stone-hearted, then (although I don't think my wife would agree). Any aria leaves me cold. I don't consider the operatic style of voice handling to be actual singing, it's more like a circus performance.

Wrong words. My mistake, sorry.

Of couse we are very different and all that. Some singers performing an aria has a much more 'natural' voice than others. But I'm not on a mission here. I'll keep on enjoying Bach, and you Satie. I don't even have proper knowledge in english (and maybe not norwegian) to discuss thing like this.

Just one thing Paul K: Trying to get to know an artist by downloading some random mp3's might work on a pop/rock act, but not with Bach. Buy an album. Get someone you trust to reccomend you one or two. Of course he's not just boring. Most music of the western world is in depth to Bach. Find out why many of your favorite artists admire him. 

But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Teaflax View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 07:51
^Your English is certainly good enough that I didn't even notice you were Norwegian until you said it. Morrn da!
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 08:05

^Your English is certainly good enough that I didn't even notice you were Norwegian until you said it. Morrn da!

Morn morn, and thank you. Its trying to insult people in a sopfisticated way that's really the hardest part. LOL

That, and its easy to get lost in different music terms when I'm only half certain of what means in norwegian.  
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 08:37

Well, golly. Sign me up as stone-hearted, then (although I don't think my wife would agree). Any aria leaves me cold. I don't consider the operatic style of voice handling to be actual singing, it's more like a circus performance. "Yes, right - very impressive and all, but now would you just relax for a bloomin' second and sing with your actual voice, please?"

I'm fairly sure I've heard Glenn Gould, what with it being the hallmark of Bachery, and all. I think it's a pointless exercise to try to convince me that there's something there that I'm missing, because it's a style of composition I find utterly devoid of anything interesting.

I will agree that performances and interpretations play a large part in classical music (I remember buying a particularly lacklustre version of Carmina Burana a few years ago, and it was almost unlistenable), but I really don't think that there's anything that can be done to Bach for me to find fascinating.

Like I said, I can understand that it has qualities, but those qualities are not ones I look for in music (and please; "fire" and "passion" - these are in no way whatsoever intrinsic to the works, these are things that you - and many, many others -  get out of them and I clearly don't). It's no great loss. There is so much great music to be found in this world that closing that particular door doesn't bother me in the slightest.

well, I guess that proves violin player Hilary Hahn wrong, who once stated "some people say: 'I don't like Mozart' or 'I don't like Stravinski', but nobody ever says 'I don't like Bach' " Wink

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Phil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2006 at 08:59
Well, I love the music of JS Bach, especially the Brandenburgs and the violin concertos & the harpshicord works and so many of his organ works (that my father used to play) and and...there's so much great stuff by him; it's distinctive, it's timeless, it's very structured but very tuneful, it makes my heart sing...

Of rock (prog?) music, the most famous piece that comes to mind was "Whiter Shade of Pale" though I can't recall off-hand which particualr pice of music it was based on.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>