Topic ClosedStephen Stills

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stephen Stills
    Posted: August 21 2006 at 07:00

Does someone knows second and third albums "Stephen Stills 2" and "Manassas"?
DallasBryan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 10:20
yes, debut is great and Manassas is almost as good, 2 is good and look for Illegal Stills, I think is underrated and maybe his second best.
oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 10:21

OK, i'll go for Manassas as i already know the first and enjoy it.

What do you think about first Graham Nash?

Edited by oliverstoned - August 21 2006 at 10:22
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 10:24

dont forget Savoy Brown, Ten Years After, Johnny Winter and Leon Russell's albums from the David Crosby thread. Excellent and better than Grahams solo's if you havent visited those yet.

the Hot Spot soundtrack is a knock out too, for the day after or on the nod.Evil Smile

Songs for Beginners and Wild Tales are both pretty good.

Edited by DallasBryan - August 21 2006 at 10:33
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 10:27

OK, i'll defeanetly look for your advices.

And what about that:

Blows Against The Empire ( Jefferson Starship ) ****, Sunfighter ** and Baron Von Tolbooth And The Chrome Nun.

I hate JS but wonder if this one is closed to JA...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 10:32
waste of time, some good stuff, not enuff! IMO 

Dragonfly is about as good as they ever got and has some merit, Red Octopus more misses. Airplane? Alittle hippy dippy for me. OK but never shook my world. You have heard CSN - Daylight Again? very underrated in the 80's, as well as CSantana's Havana Moon may surprize you also. The feast after the fire.

Jerry Garcia's Garcia? yes

Edited by DallasBryan - August 21 2006 at 10:34
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 10:34

I'm somehow afraid of your 80's albums, to be honest...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 10:34

I bought Grace Slick "Manhole" and it's atrocious.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 10:35
LOL
fool, forget the critic crap, if your burning the big one, you'll understand them, with pleasure!Cool

trust me on those 2, a true rarity in the 80's! dont know how the record companies let those get under the radar!

Edited by DallasBryan - August 21 2006 at 10:36
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 10:49

There are few good thing since the 80's, but most of the time ruined by the horrible big drum sound. I can't stand that! And i'm afraid your Havana moon features that big sound cause "Inner secrets"! (78) already
has it! Unless "Havana moon" features only percussions!

Chicapah View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 10:49
Stephen Stills has always been a very frustrating artist to me because of his inconsistency.  He'd put out an album like "2" that would have brilliant moments scattered among some of the most mediocre songs you could ever hear.  It's almost like he'd lose his focus along the way and settle for far less than he was capable of.  Perhaps he was just a terminal underachiever.  I always wanted so badly to like his albums but at some point I just gave up on him.
"Literature is well enough, as a time-passer, and for the improvement and general elevation and purification of mankind, but it has no practical value" - Mark Twain
Richardw View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 11:26
I agree with Chicapah. There's some great Stills stuff, but he's one of the most frustrating artists that there is. Lots of jewels, but lots of clunkers too. 'Manassas' is one of the best I think. 4 different themed album sides. One of his most consistent albums. '2' is good. 'Stills' is pretty decent too.
DallasBryan is right about 'Daylight Agaain'. There's some great tracks on there. The title track (an extended version of 'Find The Cost Of Freedom' ) is superb, as too is 'Southern Cross'. I 've heard a lot worse in my time.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 11:32

Thanks for the advices!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 11:46
Havana Moon is totally unique to Carlos Santana's discography, dont dismiss it because you think this or that, trust me on only 2 albums from the 80's, they are a blast from the past. Ill not recommend anything else from this time period, but your missing it if you dont check these 2 out.

CSN - Daylight Again(1982)
best thing since early CSN and CSNY, I think only Deju Vu  and there classic debut are in the same league.

Carlos Santana - Havana Moon(1983)
up there with the first 3 albums by Santana, many Texas guests, try to find a remastered edition, not sure if its available.

if you want a real surprise try Abraxas Pool only album(1994?). Neal Schon on guitar and the rest of Santanas original band, yes Michael Shrieve(wow!), less Santana - originals and remakes, it'll blow your little mind!LOL

Edited by DallasBryan - August 21 2006 at 11:53
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 11:47

OK, i'll try and will let you know.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 11:58
recognize any of these names?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 12:03

What's that?

Havana moon line up?

Quantity is not synonym of quality, however

Edited by oliverstoned - August 21 2006 at 12:35
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 12:37
Abraxas Pool review
Abraxas Pool 
 20 years ago, a Mexican blues lover, a fan of British Invasion pop, and a salsa-loving conga player got together in San Francisco's Mission District to play music. A certain magic was felt, and thus was born the Santana Blues Band. Eventually, as Santana, they released 3 incredible albums (Santana, Abraxas, and Santana 3), and then, not unusually, went their separate ways. Carlos Santana kept his name and his band, and went on to obvious stardom, one of the true guitar heroes. Greg Rollie took Neal Schon off to form Journey, which, no matter your opinion of them, was arguably one of the most successful musical acts of the eighties, with lots of flash, and some serious musicianship. All the members of that original Santana band went off to some form of success or other, never to be heard together again…
 …until 1994, when Neal Schon asked Michael Carabello to put some congas on his solo album. The idea of putting the original band back together was discussed, and thus I have a copy of "Abraxas Pool" in my hands. And, to borrow from the clichιs of music reviewers everywhere, if you like the Santana sound, especially from the first 3 albums, then you will find something here to suit your fancy. The driving Latin rhythms, soaring guitar work, pumping organ chords and powerful vocals… You get it all. Some of it sounds a little dated, perhaps, in this day of grunge and "alternative rock", but it is undeniably good music.
 In addition to Schon on guitar, Rollie on keyboards and vocals, and Carabello on congas, Chepita Areas is back on timbales, Michael Shrieve on drums, and Alphonso Johnson was recruited to hold down the bottom end. This is not exactly the original band, but all 5 members were significant parts of the Santana "sound" over the years. Neal Schon's guitar is almost as recognizable as that of Carlos Santana's, and he is just as talented. The rhythm section of the two Michael's (Shrieve and Carabello), along with Chepito Areas on timbales, drives the music along in the same style as on the original albums. And of course, Greg Rollie's voice is instantly recognizable. It has mellowed a bit in the last 20 years, but his organ playing is as powerful as ever. To round out the crew, Alphonso Johnson was recruited to play bass. Johnson is one of the great bass players and composers today, having worked with Phil Collins, Quincy Jones, John McLaughlin, Weather Report, and many others, including Carlos Santana.
 Many of these tunes could be on a Santana album. (OK, so they covered "Jingo", which WAS on a Santana album) The rhythms, vocals, and even the timing of songs ("hey Neal - play the solo HERE") all sound like their previous group work.
 To be more specific - "Baila Mi Cha-Cha" "Boom Ba Ya Ya", "Guajirona" and "Ya Llego" could all have been cut directly from a Santana album. You can hear echoes of "Baila Mi Hermana" and "Evil Ways" here. Some of it may be too derivative, but it still works. "Ya Llego" is a real percussion fest, with Carabello and Areas blasting back and forth over the top of a quiet bass line. The chanting Spanish lyrics merely separate the percussion jams. My favorite of these is "Baila Mi Cha-Cha" - it's hard NOT to dance to this tune! The congas and timbales drive the music along so well that it was almost jarring to hear, instead of the clear screaming of Carlos' guitar, the more processed sound of Neal Schon's solo. Rollie's piano solo is a great part of this song.
 "Szabo" is a beautiful instrumental in tribute to Gabor Szabo, the jazz master who wrote "Gypsy Queen", a track on Santana album "Abraxas" album. You can hear echoes of Carlos in the solo (listen to "Europa" from the Amigos album), but it is Neal's piece, and one of the best tunes on the album.
 "Waiting For You" and "Don't Give Up" sound a little too much like Journey for my taste. Pitch the vocal up to Steve Perry's range, and this IS Journey, with timbales.
 All in all, this is a solid album, and a nice step back into my musical past. It is hard to listen to it without thinking where Carlos' guitar should be coming in - nothing against Neal Schon, who is an incredible guitarist, but I have come to identify Carlos' tone with congas and timbales. They just go together in my musical consciousness. The only question I have for this group is whether or not they will be able to shake that image, and carve one out for themselves. They are too good to be forever known as Carlos' backup band.
Release: Abraxas Pool
Personnel: Neal Schon, guitars
Greg Rollie, organ, piano, vocals
Michael Carabello, congas
Michael Shrieve, drums
Chepito Areas, timbales
Alphonso Johnson, bass

Edited by DallasBryan - August 21 2006 at 12:38
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 12:43

OK, but how is the drum on this one?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 12:55

Tell me: is "Garcia" album close to GD debut?

Edited by oliverstoned - August 21 2006 at 12:56
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>