Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKarn Evil 9 vs. Tarkus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which ELP epic do you like more?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
30 [52.63%]
27 [47.37%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Karn Evil 9 vs. Tarkus
    Posted: January 19 2005 at 16:20
I personally feel that this poll is unfair, as I LOVE KE9! Maybe some of you are more attached to tarkus. 
I bleed coffee. When I don't drink coffee, my veins run dry, and I shrivel up and die.
"Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso? Is that like the bank of Italian soccer death or something?" -my girlfriend
Garion81 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2005 at 16:22

I love KE9 also but Tarkus was the first love. 

That organ solo in stones of years is just fantastic. 

"What are you going to do when that damn thing rusts?"
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2005 at 17:00

Tarkus was my favourite up to about when I was 17,KE9 thereafter.In my opinion KE9 has more depth and works better as a complete peice of music. 

threefates View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2005 at 17:16
I'm with Richard.. as much as I love hearing Greg sing Battlefield.. I too think KE9 is a more cohesive and technically perfect piece of music.  And I guess since I get the lyrics.. in both pieces I don't have the problem some do with KE9.  The guitar solo in KE9 is pretty special to me also....
THIS IS ELP
penguindf12 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2005 at 17:23

I like Tarkus a bit better...mainly because Karn Evil 9 (3rd Impression)'s lyrics are a bit....er, rediculous? But the 1st impression is extremely good, the 2nd impression is nice, and the 3rd's music is good, but the lyrics....eck.

But I think all of Tarkus is good.

Vegetableman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2005 at 17:34
Karn Evil 9, although I really see it as three songs rather than one.
"Mister Fripp, your music is quite different than everything else out there. In one word, how would you describe it?"

"Progressive.... yeah, that's it..."
nacho View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2005 at 17:41
I agree with Sweetnighter: this poll is completely unfair. I love both equally, so I'm not voting...
bobthesalesman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2005 at 18:16

Tarkus!

bobthesalesman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2005 at 18:17
Originally posted by Garion81 Garion81 wrote:

I love KE9 also but Tarkus was the first love. 

That organ solo in stones of years is just fantastic. 

Exactly.  Tarkus was my first taste of ELP...kinda like the other poll...CTTE was my first taste of Yes.

Wizard/TRueStar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2005 at 18:55

The version of Tarkus on Ladies and Gentlemen gets my vote!

gdub411 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2005 at 19:31

How you could define KE9 as a more complete piece when it is all disjointed, there are pauses in the music and such and Tarkus is just one song with no breaks. Also KE9 sometimes feeels like they asked thmmselves...What if we played it with just keyboard or slowed it down, etc....it is VERY experimental but still doesn't seem VERY cohesive...Great concept and works well with a concept album, but too disjointed when defined as a song.

My vote went to Tarkus.

Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2005 at 19:42
NO,NO,NO Tarkus is their piece de resistance, the first side. It is so full. OK, OK,OK I will agree that it slides off on side two but Trakus musically and conceptuelly does it for me. As I mentioned on an earlier thread I paid  $50 for a newly released vinyl copy of the album last summer! 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2005 at 20:02
Originally posted by gdub411 gdub411 wrote:

How you could define KE9 as a more complete piece when it is all disjointed, there are pauses in the music and such and Tarkus is just one song with no breaks. Also KE9 sometimes feeels like they asked thmmselves...What if we played it with just keyboard or slowed it down, etc....it is VERY experimental but still doesn't seem VERY cohesive...Great concept and works well with a concept album, but too disjointed when defined as a song.

My vote went to Tarkus.

You're kidding me right... Tarkus has completely separate songs.. in stones of Years, mass, battlefield...aquatarkus... more separations than between the 3 parts of KE9...

KE9 is like watching an ice skating event... you start off with the slow beautiful skating with all the jumps.. then you enter that middle part which is all speedy footwork, then you have the ending climax which builds to a huge finale... except instead of applause... your computer explodes... Can't get more cohesive than that!!

THIS IS ELP
Reed Lover View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2005 at 20:09

Originally posted by threefates threefates wrote:

I'm with Richard.. as much as I love hearing Greg sing Battlefield.. I too think KE9 is a more cohesive and technically perfect piece of music.  And I guess since I get the lyrics.. in both pieces I don't have the problem some do with KE9.  The guitar solo in KE9 is pretty special to me also....

Given that you believe ELP to be perfect, and perfect is an absolute (ie something cannot be more perfect or less perfect-just for you Southern gals out there) how can any piece of ELP music be better or worse than any other?Confused

Wink

gdub411 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2005 at 20:10

My vote went to Tarkus.

You're kidding me right... Tarkus has completely separate songs.. in stones of Years, mass, battlefield...aquatarkus... more separations than between the 3 parts of KE9...

KE9 is like watching an ice skating event... you start off with the slow beautiful skating with all the jumps.. then you enter that middle part which is all speedy footwork, then you have the ending climax which builds to a huge finale... except instead of applause... your computer explodes... Can't get more cohesive than that!!

Know your place Tf and go make me a sandwich.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2005 at 20:13

My vote went to Tarkus.

Embarrassed

You need more practice Gdub.Try:

Hey Threefates, get your bitch ass in the kitchen and make me some pie!

LOL

gdub411 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2005 at 20:16
Originally posted by Reed Lover Reed Lover wrote:

My vote went to Tarkus.

Embarrassed

LOL

My ideal woman would be one with a flat head so I have somewhere to set my beer.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2005 at 20:17

My vote went to Tarkus.

Embarrassed

LOL

My ideal woman would be one with a flat head so I have somewhere to set my beer.

No, your ideal woman would have balls!Wink

gdub411 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2005 at 20:21

My vote went to Tarkus.

Embarrassed

LOL

No, your ideal woman would have balls!Wink

a chick with a d##k.....hmmm! Now there's a thought.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2005 at 20:50

Given that you believe ELP to be perfect, and perfect is an absolute (ie something cannot be more perfect or less perfect-just for you Southern gals out there) how can any piece of ELP music be better or worse than any other?Confused

Wink

The same way it is that you can come into such a perfect thread and add nothing relevant whatsoever....

THIS IS ELP
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>