FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhen albums go on for too long

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: When albums go on for too long
    Posted: January 28 2007 at 21:22
In the classic days no album would go on for more than 50 minutes, and even that was a bit too long for thouse days. But now a days, with digital recording, CD´s can go up to 80 minutes long and some bands use this capability and put as much material into an album as they want, which is great, after all album´s are made by (and almoust for) the artist. Yet, I can´t help but think that some albums are just too long for their own good.
An example of this is Oceansize Effloresce, by the time I get to the middle of the album I honestly think it should end in the next song or two, but it goes on and on, and although all songs are good, a "nearer" ending would be appretiated. Of course this is not a big problem, as one can pick which songs to hear and which dont, and at the end you have more material from a band, but for me an album should be heard from start to finish, and I know many agree with me on this. This long albums make it a bit too hard to... be swallowedWink. Also, many times there is so much material in an album, that it´s very hard that they are all killers, and no fillers what so ever. Of course, this is no general rule, as I can prove it. Lateralus is one looooong album, clocking 76 minutes, yet it´s soooo well done, that the whole thing doesnt even have a second of filler.
If you ask me albums shouldn´t run more than 60 minutes, at least there is a reason for them to go that long... maybe concept albums, or if there is trully no filler thrue out the 70 or more minutes...

What do you think?
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2007 at 21:27
I don't have a problem with that. you must be someone who really hates double and even more triple albums

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Fassbinder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2007 at 21:32
I think that the degree of perception depends on the individual features of a listener.

On the other hand, what is the average time for a lesson? I'm sure it's not a coincidence that it is not 30 minutes nor 90. I.e., there are, still, some limits for the successful perception of any information. These limits were found, I believe, empirically first, but then were proved scientifically.
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2007 at 21:41
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I don't have a problem with that. you must be someone who really hates double and even more triple albums

Not hate, not at all. Actually I like the idea of a double album more than a very long album. In fact two of my favorite albums ever are double, The white album and the Human equation
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2007 at 21:47
It's all good, as long as there's no filler.  80 minutes of joy is better than 60, and frankly, 20 minutes of filler doesn't HURT anything.  If you feel that parts of the album are filler, don't listen to those parts.  It's pretty simple.  

stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2007 at 21:50
Tales from Topo Oceans.

I would say Lift Your Skinny Fists too, but all of the songs are masterliness, and i can't really fault the album if my attention span is not that good.
Walker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2007 at 22:31
I think "filler" is in the ears of the beholder. If a band has recorded something that they fill proud enough of to present to the public, then by all means present it. If I don't like it, I can program it out. In this way, I can program out the songs I'm not fond of, and still have a full length playlist. So, go ahead and fill up those CD's! (Yes, I know Mr. Stolt, I don't have to tell you this!)
Witchwoodhermit View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2007 at 23:44
I know exactly what you mean. Being a child of the seventies, I'm used to a single album being 45 - 50 minutes long, max! I guess my head is used to this. Even when my beloved Floyd released Division, I found it to be just a tad too long.
Here I'm shadowed by a dragon fig tree's fan
ringed by ants and musing over man.
kazansky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2007 at 23:49
Green Carnation's LODDOD is the album-song that goes too long

i don't really have a problem with an album's length.
sometimes when you really enjoy the music, a long album could feel as a short one
The devil we blame our atrocities on is really just each one of us.
NotSoKoolAid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2007 at 00:47
There's always a such thing as too long and too short.

The Flower Kings and Neal Morse really go on just way the hell too long. It's like their albums never end! Definite drawback, because these guys don't seem to wanna only put out their best material.

Why would anyone want to pay for filler?

On the other hand I become terribly disappointed when some of the shorter 70's albums end, such as early Yes and Rush.

But that's my perception. I think this post has already found someone who enjoys filler-Flower King. More power to him??? I guess??
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2007 at 01:05
Some bands like The Flower Kings (they really take the prize on this one) love to record whatever they (or Mr. Stolt) thinks or dreams of over coffee or in the bathroom. The curious thing is I tend to like it all Big%20smile, but of course at times they just exaggerate with album's length. For example, if STARDUST WE ARE was a single cd only containing the best 8 songs, it would be one (if not THE) of my favorite albums of all time (ehh... it is anyway).

On the other hand, Rush's albums from the 70's were way too short. I just got comfortable enough when suddenly the cd ended! 35 minutes is too little....

An album doesn't have to be a particular length, as long as it is good, it has to have the duration it has to have. Some of the best albums are 75+, others are just 45+. When you record with length as one of your worries, you'll lose focus on the important thing: recording as good an album as you posibly can. There's double albums that are wonderful and not boring at all, and some that last less than an hour but seem like 80... hours.

I will not name names... That would get me bashed for eternity. Though even in that genre I tend to dislike there's a double album that's very close to a masterpiece, and never gets boring. It all depends in the quality of the songs.
video vertigo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2007 at 02:08
I'm usually not a fan of albums that are too long, I like to be able to sit down and listen to an album without any pauses, if its too long its usually hard to do and I don't listen to it as often as I would a 45 minute album. Its gotta be damn good for me to get really into a double album.
"The rock and roll business is pretty absurd, but the world of serious music is much worse." - Zappa
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2007 at 02:13
gimme a 40 minute album with 6 songs on it and I'm happy. *starts looking down the RPI lists again*
The Whistler View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2007 at 02:17
Ugh. Indeed. That Mars Volta album would have been amazing if it had cut out sooner. But they just had to play in time for...however long they played, I can't remember anything past the fifth track.
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
eddietrooper View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2007 at 03:43
I use to say that the more stuff available from a band the more you have for choosing, but it's true that a short album is more enjoyable because it gets your full attention until the end. A good example is Gentle Giant. Their albums are about 35 minutes long and because of that they are a really intense experience.
dedokras View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2007 at 04:45
Tales is far too long for me and I think it could have been a great 45 minutes long album. I also find The Division Bell too long because I only like the first two songs, the last one and one in the middle. On the other hand, Genesis Live is far too short, it could have had Supper Ready, Can Utility... , Fountain of Salmacis and Harold the Barrel and could easily have made a perfect double live album. Anyway, there are enough quality bootlegs to fill the gap :)
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2007 at 04:47
Anything by Dream Theater does go on way too long. "Awake" just seems to go on forever.

*ducks under flame shield, seeing The T. appear on the horizon*Wink
kazansky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2007 at 04:53
Originally posted by Ghost Rider Ghost Rider wrote:

Anything by Dream Theater does go on way too long. "Awake" just seems to go on forever.*ducks under flame shield, seeing The T. appear on the horizon*Wink

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence is actually longer if you listen to both cd completely

and not to mention their live albums !

but long doesn't mean it's lame right

Edited by kazansky - January 29 2007 at 04:54
The devil we blame our atrocities on is really just each one of us.
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2007 at 05:00
Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

In the classic days no album would go on for more than 50 minutes

if only that was true of this one.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2007 at 05:16
No album goes on too long. Given that I don't accept the term "filler" - something I might find a "throwaway" may be someone else's favourite. The longer the better for me. In fact, anything less than 50 minutes is a blatant rip-off unless it's priced at a budget cost. I expect at least 60 mins nowadays.
Has no one ever heard of the "stop" button or the "next track" button?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>