Topic ClosedNearfest 2007

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nearfest 2007
    Posted: June 25 2007 at 19:39
Hi gang. I just got back from Pennsylvania, and will be providing a full report on the shows. I just need some time to download the pictures, and go over my notes. Stay tuned.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2007 at 23:42
OK, here we go. I will do this in several installments. First, let me say that it was a wonderful experience. Lots of prog people, great music, pleasant town, and beautiful mountain country to travel through on the way there. I met some very nice people, but didn't find anyone else from P.A.

There were a few special guests too.

First, a guy who many of us know, but few have probably met.

Will the real Greg Walker please stand up!

Next, a lady who you might have expected to see on stage, but wait, she paints too.

The lovely and demure Annie Haslam.

Oh, who's this guy? He looks familiar? That's right, I wrote his band's biography.

Mr. Tony Spada. (Holding Pattern)

Caught these two coming up the stairs. Is that him?

Nope, but that is Stella (Vander).

It's hard to meet a celebrity as gracious, and genuinely nice as this man.

Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Roger Dean. (I know, he's not looking at the camera. I like to think of him like this, only with a brush in his hand) He let slip a little rumor that there is a good possibility that Yes may be hitting the road for a 40th anniversary tour.

Now, here is my favorite. This guy is also very nice, and a little quirky. It was fun just to watch him interact with people. He is also responsible for the cover of the best prog album of all time! (IMO of course)

Paul Whitehead is responsible for that classic Genesis cover art. I couldn't resist buying a numbered print of "Foxtrot" and having him sign it. He is currently working on illustrations for a new Genesis book.

Next, The bands.
Arsillus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2007 at 23:46
Ahh, that must have been so cool! Big%20smile

Thanks for sharing. Clap
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 00:13
Day one, opening band, IZZ. I have their most recent album, and like it a lot, but had no idea what to expect live. They were excellent! A perfect show. The sense I got was one of precision jamming. They could pull out the stops, but there was discipline to it all. They featured two drummers on a riser, two and female vocalists. Tom Galgano also sings, but they all share the lead. They have a wonderful avant-symphonic sound, and recreated it on stage with passion and instensity. John Galgano and Paul Bremner both began on guitar. John then switched to bass, and even shared the keys with Tom. Speaking of Tom, on stage he came off a bit like a taskmaster ( ala Zappa). His brother John had to ask for permission to talk. After the show it was a very different vibe. He was almost gentle, and hung out with the crowd for the rest of the festival. But, what matters is the performance. I told Tom that I hoped they were keeping a recording of it. They quickly became the darlings of the festival, and those who followed would have to go far to measure up (if that was at all possible).

Sorry about the quality of the photos. First time with a digital camera.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 00:27
Next up was NeBeLNeST. Now, I'm not really a fan, so my opinion is not entirely objective. I can say that they are all very good musicians. The drummer plays his a*s off! After the first number, he had to remove his shirt and towel off. The music is dark, repetitive, and not very distinctive nor interesting. Now that may be only my opinion, but the lady next to me fell asleep. I will say that the guys in the band are very nice. They were around for the whole festival, and didn't let the language barrier keep them from being friendly.

Good one huh? If they weren't one member shy, this would have been a good band shot for a CD booklet.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 00:45
Now, each day, right after the second act, in the shortest time slot, there was what I would describe as a novelty artist. Bob Drake fits this description to a T. The best way I can put his music into words is hippie punk. I probably wouldn't buy an album, but the act is very entertaining. He plays an out of tune guitar (which he tunes after each song), and is accompanied by a bassist (at first). During the second number, a man in a bathrobe and shower cap, toting a towel and pillow, wanders in. He turns on a bedside lamp, and sits down at the drum kit. For one song, he is accompanied by Oliver Tejedor (NeBeLNeST) on keyboard. During one number, a lady in a red dress and hooded black cape, walks out with a small guitar on a platter. The band dramatically stops, and Bob turns to scratch a little on the mini guitar. Then back to the song, and the woman leaves the stage. This happens again. The third time there was something I couldn't make out on the tray. Bob held up his hand, and turned her away. Fun stuff.

bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 12:15
Next up Magenta. I like their music, but I am not exactly a rabid fan. So, I didn't really know what to expect. They were fantastic! This is a band that knows how to give a great performance. They have great stage presence, and exude the pure joy of playing music. Cristina Booth has a great voice, and is radiant on stage (quite sexy too). It wasn't all flash either, these guys can play. Some of the more downbeat numbers dragged a bit, but the rest of the show more than made up for it. If you have an opportunity to see them, don't hesitate. However, as good as they were, Izz still had it for the first day.

I would have loved to get a shot of Christina, but she was busy when I saw her.

At this point I also started to notice some technical problems. The people on follow spots didn't seem to know what they were doing. Different musicians would come forward for the lead, and be in total darkness. Or, they would be on the wrong person during a solo. The situation would not improve, and other problems were to arise.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 12:25
Day 1 headliner, Hawkwind. I have a couple of Hawkwind albums, and like them very much. People were saying that they were going to blow away the rest of the bands that day, so I was looking forward to this. Well, they did not live up to the hype. The opener was good, but they soon descended into a string of similar, monotonous numbers. The light show was very cool, and retro, but you got used to it after a while. They striked me as nothing more than a washed up act still clinging to past glory. The previously mentioned technical problems also were a hinderance to enjoying the show. The sound was mixed so that the keyboards overpowered the guitar and bass. The stage was also so dark, that you couldn't really watch the guys play. After you got used to the light show, there was nothing more to see. Now, I'm not saying they were bad, but I wouldn't pay to see them again. Izz takes day one, hands down.

Edited by bhikkhu - June 26 2007 at 12:26
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 19:01
After the ups and downs of Saturday, Sunday was looking very good. Indukti rose to the occasion. It was a wonderful performance. Both thunderous and beautiful at the same time. If you ever wondered what a prog band does without keyboards, the definitive answer could be to get a violinist. This band has a great sound, and could be the best choice for people who aren't really metal fans. It sure works for me. When talking to the audience they seemed a bit shy, but very excited to be there. They had no problem expressing themselves through the music. Truly captivating.

Edited by bhikkhu - June 26 2007 at 20:21
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 19:06
Great to see a picture of Greg Walker, he's a kind of legend for me, his progrock mailorder-servive was my Holy Grail since the late Eighties, at least half of my 1000 reviews are CD's and DVD's I ordered at Syn-Phonic! Once he offered me to buy Spock's Beard their first album when nobody knew it in Europe, I am still grateful for that ClapIncredible he has time for prog with his huge family, 5 or 6 children Shocked

Hug

Edited by erik neuteboom - June 26 2007 at 19:07
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 19:14
For the obligatory Italian segment, La Maschera Di Cera took the stage. I don't envy them having to follow Indukti, but they gave it their all. This was like the prog shows of old. Fabulous musicianship, varying moods, tasty mellotron, flute, and a singer with a strong theatric sensibility. You could sense the Genesis and KC influence. They are a true renaissance band as they use classic instrumentation. Yet, they don't sound exclusively retro. Great show.

bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 19:19
Novelty act #2 was ambient artist Robert Rich. I'm not a fan of this kind of stuff. It's fine as background music, but as the main focus ...
Anyway, I checked it out, quickly got bored, and left.

bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 19:31
"The Dark Third" was one of my top five for 2006, so I was really looking forward to Pure Reason Revolution. After holding the house an extra half hour for an extended sound check, we were finally let into the theater. They opened with some recorded sounds, and said a very brief hello. They then kicked right into it, jamming hard. Right off I realized that you could barely hear Chloe Alper's vocals. That sucks, because she has a great voice. They continued to play heavy, and showed little of the nuance that made them so appealing to me. Halfway through the show, they abruptly left the stage. A bewildered audience stood up to clap, and then they walked back on. They continued with the pounding metal extravaganza, with only a few mellower moments. They used a lot of prerecorded stuff, that frankly never worked that well, and hardly acknowledged the audience. They get my vote for biggest disappointment.

bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 19:34
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

Great to see a picture of Greg Walker, he's a kind of legend for me, his progrock mailorder-servive was my Holy Grail since the late Eighties, at least half of my 1000 reviews are CD's and DVD's I ordered at Syn-Phonic! Once he offered me to buy Spock's Beard their first album when nobody knew it in Europe, I am still grateful for that ClapIncredible he has time for prog with his huge family, 5 or 6 children Shocked

Hug

He gave me a recommendation for something we don't have on P.A. I haven't had time to check it out yet, but I trust him.

bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 19:50
And now, for the finale, from France, please welcome MAGMA!

Now, I had no doubt that this was going to be good, but WOW! This was one heck of a show. The vocalists were all great. I think the bass player must need to replace his fingers after every show. I have never seen anyone use a violin bow on a xylophone before. Then we come to Christian. He may be older, and a bit flabbier, but the man has not lost anything. He is an absolute maniac on the drums, and his voice is as weirdly beautiful as ever. For one of the encores he came out front to sing. A special treat was the performance of the nearly (finally) completed "Emehnteht-Re" piece. This show was worth the price of the whole weekend. I can honestly say it was one of the best concerts I have ever seen. I feel very privileged to have had the opportunity.

Magma blows away all others!
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 19:59
1. Thanks for sharing your experience, HT.

2. Did you not attend the Friday Fusion pre-show?

3. What did you buy in the Vendor Zone?

4. For all members here; You might also want to check the abundant threads on Nearfest at Progerssive Ears.com to read more of what happened there and other views (www.progerssiveears.com) Aparentely, a lot of folks there went as well.

5. Nearfest X in 2008 has already one band confirmed: Discipline !!! Yes, the same Discipline that released Unfolded Like Staircase!

bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 20:11
Well, that's the end, but I do have a few more more thoughts. The tech crew really needs some help. If they did have a communication system, I don't think they were using it. I think it was a mistake to Have Hawkwind headlining opposite Magma. That would be like putting Gary Puckett and the Union Gap up against the Beatles. Izz comes out as the breakthrough darlings. Keep an eye on them. The same goes for Indukti. I am very interested to see what they do on their next album. Hawkwind was a letdown, but not that severe. Pure Reason Revolution, on the other hand, should be ashamed of their performance.

But, it was all a great experience. I also met a couple of lesser known artists. The Frogg Cafe guys were cool, and I will be spinning their stuff soon. I also got to know Tim Boney, from a new band called Contrarian (We will probably be adding them soon). The couple sitting next to me were also from Michigan (Lansing, not too far away), and fun to be at a concert with. There was a New Jersey couple behind me that were very interesting to talk to before and after the shows (Has a copy of "Felona e Serona" in English, and great Gentle Giant connections too ). Loads of fun, and I will probably become a regular attendee.

bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 20:17
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

1. Thanks for sharing your experience, HT.

2. Did you not attend the Friday Fusion pre-show?

3. What did you buy in the Vendor Zone?

4. For all members here; You might also want to check the abundant threads on Nearfest at Progerssive Ears.com to read more of what happened there and other views (www.progerssiveears.com) Aparentely, a lot of folks there went as well.

5. Nearfest X in 2008 has already one band confirmed: Discipline !!! Yes, the same Discipline that released Unfolded Like Staircase!

It's a long drive from Ann Arbor Michigan to Eastern Pennsylvania, so i didn't make the Friday shows. I definitely spent some money at the vendor tables. Found some great rare CDs, and some new stuff. John Reagan from Big Balloon Music has put a band together called Elsewhen, and I got the sampler. Expect a full album soon. I bought some Roger Dean prints (signed of course), and my coveted "Foxtrot" from Paul Whitehead.

Leningrad View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 20:25
Wow, that sounds awesome! I wish I could have been there. I would have had a great time.

Thanks for sharing that!
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2007 at 20:26
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

But, it was all a great experience. I also met a couple of lesser known artists. The Frogg Cafe guys were cool, and I will be spinning their stuff soon. I also got to know Tim Boney, from a new band called Contrarian (We will probably be adding them soon). The couple sitting next to me were also from Michigan (Lansing, not too far away), and fun to be at a concert with. There was a New Jersey couple behind me that were very interesting to talk to before and after the shows (Has a copy of "Felona e Serona" in English, and great Gentle Giant connections too ). Loads of fun, and I will probably become a regular attendee.

The social factor can be a big thing to add to your enjoyment of these experiences (as the guys who were at the RIO festival can tell). From the threads in PE I see there was a lot of socializing and new acquaintainces made.
Moreover, the possibility of meeting musicians (both those performing and those who came to see like Frogg Cafe, The Red Masque, Anton Roolaart and members of GG etc) is one hell of an incentive to come as well. Must be an experience to remember...

By the way, you should really check out Forgg Cafe! I love all their studio albums thus far and it sinks in further with every listen. They can be quite unique in their approach (though you can spot their influences).

Maybe next year, if we have enough money to spend on this, my wife and I will come and meet you HT!

Do you have more pics?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>