FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFleetwood mac

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fleetwood mac
    Posted: July 09 2007 at 12:11
Anyone else totally into Fleetwood Mac? I have been totally awe-struck as of late with the fabulous Rumours, and after a few spins it seems that Tusk is no less fantastic.

It's so hard to pick a favourite song off "Rumours"; "Second Hand News", "Dreams", "Go your own way", "Silver springs", "Gold Dust Woman", "You Make loving fun" are all contenders, though. I've just never thought that any album could be so consistently fantastic, every second, as Rumours, and it has in very short time reached my definite top 10 of all times, together with albums like American Beauty, Tago Mago, F#A#oo, Still Life and First Utterance... simply stunning.

So, anyone else? :)

'Let's give it another fifteen seconds..'
paolo.beenees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2007 at 12:17
I really like them, and Rumors is a masterpiece, of course. Christine singing "Songbirds" gives me such goosebumps, but also older stuff is really interesting ("Then Play On" and "Bare Trees" are also two wonderful albums - if you listen carefully to the first one, you'll find more than a hint of what bands such as Wishbone Ash would do later).
Good topic, Evans!
Evans View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2007 at 12:50
I've heard some of the older stuff as well, it sounds very interesting.
How are the Lindsey Buckingham/Stevie Nicks/Christine Mcvie-lineup albums prior to Rumours and after Tusk? I have only heard the hits from them, like "Seven Wonders", Rhiannon and "Little Lies" and loved them, so i hope the rest of the albums are of the same standards..

salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2007 at 13:02
I'm not so into the 'Rumours' era stuff; it's OK though. The Peter Green era I do like- though they had great credibility as a blues rock act, they were also a superb singles band as well, imho. 'Albatross', 'The Green Manalishi', 'Oh Well', 'Black Magic Woman', 'Man Of The World'...100% classics with real power and warmth.
Evans View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 19:07
And they were even good in the 80's.. i think i might have found myself a new favourite band!

BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 19:16
I love the Peter Green era because the band created incredible music.  Then they made some good stuff after his departure, but not nearly as classic.  Then the evil duo Nicks and Buckingham joined and destroyed a perfectly good band.  I did enjoy most of Tusk, but Rumors is awwwwful.  I don't see whats so great about an over produced bunch of annoying pop songs that aren't even that interesting.  Blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 19:21
My favorite Fleetwood Mac album is Future Games (the Bob Welch, Danny Kirwan, Christine McVie lineup).  As for the Buckingham/Nicks albums, there is only one prior to Rumors, simply titled Fleetwood Mac and that is a very excellent album as well.  The  post-Tusk album Mirage is a good album, but not quite up to the par of the first three with that lineup.  I also own their latest Say You Will (without McVie) and I thought that was pretty experimental.  That was a really good album. 

Edited by The Doctor - July 10 2007 at 19:22
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 19:35
Rumours is one of the best selling albums of all time for a good reason: it's a complete masterpiece. Beautifully constructed and produced. Timeless that sounds just as good today some 30 years later.

I can only listen to them with Buckingham/Nicks. Anything before dosesn't thrill me, and Behind The Mask (Billy Burnette and Richie Vito) didn't come close. I thought Say You Will was awesome. Still enjoy it, but I do miss Christine.

E
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 19:51
I've always been a fan of the Peter green era and Green Manalishi is a fitting end to his tenure with the band. I lost interest after that, other than hearing them on the radio, and thought they sounded too West-coast American for my tastes. I only really noticed them again when the BBC started using the interlude section from The Chain as their F1 Grand Prix theme tune and I bought Rumours on the strength of that, but each time I play it I have to put on the 1971 Greatest Hits album straight after.
What?
The Doctor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 20:06
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

Rumours is one of the best selling albums of all time for a good reason: it's a complete masterpiece. Beautifully constructed and produced. Timeless that sounds just as good today some 30 years later.

I can only listen to them with Buckingham/Nicks. Anything before dosesn't thrill me, and Behind The Mask (Billy Burnette and Richie Vito) didn't come close. I thought Say You Will was awesome. Still enjoy it, but I do miss Christine.

E

I missed Christine on their last album as well.  It would have been an unbelievably good album had she been on it.  Still, as far as comeback albums go, Say You Will was a very pleasant surprise. 
I can understand your anger at me, but what did the horse I rode in on ever do to you?
Evans View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2007 at 09:12
Originally posted by BroSpence BroSpence wrote:

I love the Peter Green era because the band created incredible music.  Then they made some good stuff after his departure, but not nearly as classic.  Then the evil duo Nicks and Buckingham joined and destroyed a perfectly good band.  I did enjoy most of Tusk, but Rumors is awwwwful.  I don't see whats so great about an over produced bunch of annoying pop songs that aren't even that interesting.  Blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  
Wow. To me, Tusk sounds just like Rumours, only less concentrated. :)
And seriously, if Rumours is a bunch of over-produced pop songs, then what is Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band? :)

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2007 at 10:27
You should try the self-titled Buckingham-Nicks album, released before they joined FM. In fact, it's what they were recording when Mick Fleetwood first heard them, and one track from it ended up on the first FM album with B-N ("Crystal", I think).

I always liked the Lindsay Buckingham tracks on "Tusk" most of which he recorded himself at home. "Storms" is brilliant as well.

Edited by chopper - July 11 2007 at 10:31
Evans View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2007 at 12:15
By the way, anyone else than me think that Fleetwood Mac is one of the coolest band names ever? :)

gong View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2007 at 15:01
Originally posted by Evans Evans wrote:

Anyone else totally into Fleetwood Mac? I have been totally awe-struck as of late with the fabulous Rumours, and after a few spins it seems that Tusk is no less fantastic.

It's so hard to pick a favourite song off "Rumours"; "Second Hand News", "Dreams", "Go your own way", "Silver springs", "Gold Dust Woman", "You Make loving fun" are all contenders, though. I've just never thought that any album could be so consistently fantastic, every second, as Rumours, and it has in very short time reached my definite top 10 of all times, together with albums like American Beauty, Tago Mago, F#A#oo, Still Life and First Utterance... simply stunning.

So, anyone else? :)
RUMOURS is  an AMAZING album; crystal - line masterpiece.

ClapClapClap

BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2007 at 19:36

And seriously, if Rumours is a bunch of over-produced pop songs, then what is Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band? :)

An experimental sonic masterpiece.
Cheesecakemouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2007 at 19:47
I've got some of the the Peter Green era - Mr Fantastic, Then Play on and one with this nun on the cover (forgotten its name)
Then Play On is a masterpiece its a shame P.Green went mad, his last studio album with them showed so much promise IMO they whould have been as great as Led Zep If he was still with them.

E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2007 at 20:07
Try to catch Classic Albums featuring Rumours sometime. They really dissect the songs and give you tremendous insight to what the band was going through while recording. To hear the breakdown of "Gold Dust Woman" is pretty cool.

E
Morak99 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 12 2007 at 12:38
I like Fleetwood Mac, but Rumors is a hit-or-miss album for me. I like most of the songs, but there's some songs on there (Songbird and Oh Daddy) I don't enjoy.
Evans View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2007 at 10:32

An experimental sonic masterpiece.
I agree, Sgt. Pepper is great, but it still sounds very "produced", wouldn't you agree?
No, i think that you're just going through what i went through when i thought the Beatles were "crap" (a long time ago, and i AM ashamed), really. I might be wrong, of course, but in that case you're also missing out on a great album. :)

Floydoid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2007 at 11:57
For me it has to be the peter Green era too... for pure bliss listen to 'Oh Well parts I&II'.
'We're going to need a bigger swear jar.'
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>