Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIf you thought Sean Trane was the man...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: If you thought Sean Trane was the man...
    Posted: July 26 2007 at 10:24
I know it  might seem extremely inelegant to point out members just like this, but I just had to post a comment on this.

I accidentaly found this guest reviewer's drain-o profile, and I must confess myself overwhelmed: this gentlement has posted  5251 Reviews. That is almost a third of the database, and over 3000 more than our most prolific Collaborator, the right honourable Hughes Chantraine. My first reaction is of course to congratulate him on his wide knowlage and ability to share his opinion in PA.

However, I must confess that I find odd how someone with so much time to listen to music can't find five minutes to justify his rating, as several of his reviews lack any text. And by severall, I could almost say "all" - I didn't browse all 5251, but rather clicked randomly on several from his list, whatever rating they might display. None contained any text.

I didn't put this in the section for "denouncing reviews", as I believe no one should be obliged to write anything. I just feel sorry that someone with such an aparently wide musical knowlege (assuming he's heard all that he reviewed) doesn't share a few words with us. I noticed he has an 11 post-count in the forum, yet I seem unable to find them anywhere. 

I'm not anticipating much reaction to this topic, but feel free to comment in any way. Also, to the Admins, kindly move the topic if deemed inapropriate for this space. 
Bigger on the inside.
1800iareyay View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 10:26
That's ipressive, but I think it's more impressive that Hugues takes the time to write reviews. If he didn't, I get the feeling he'd be close to that number.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 10:28
I spotted drain-o's nice collection of review, unfortunately those most are rates without reviews. In fact I wonder if he wrote anything, instead of preferring to submit a simple star.

So Hugues is still the man!! Wink

(On further reaction, I'm not gonna say how it's tad awkward how drain-o knows a third of the progressive archive database, as in faking a lot, it's probably not that at all; but neither will I be overwhelmed by it. I like reviews, not simple stars)

Edited by Ricochet - July 26 2007 at 10:30
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 10:39
Hmm, I would have thought one could smell the irony in the title and the post per si. Obviously I'm not trying to diminish Hughes value, for he actually bothers to write (even if he has his one-liners and textless ratings), and usually does so with accomplishment.
Bigger on the inside.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 10:45
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

Hmm, I would have thought one could smell the irony in the title and the post per si. Obviously I'm not trying to diminish Hughes value, for he actually bothers to write (even if he has his one-liners and textless ratings), and usually does so with accomplishment.

No attempt to deify Hugues either, by the two responses. Wink
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 10:50
I don't really see any irony for that matter
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 10:55
I am impressed with anyone who has over 100. I have a lot of music I have yet to review. Getting to hear that much is amazing. It was a major chore for me to compile my Symphonic collection, and I am still three artists shy of complete.
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 10:57
Originally posted by 1800iareyay 1800iareyay wrote:

That's ipressive, but I think it's more impressive that Hugues takes the time to write reviews. If he didn't, I get the feeling he'd be close to that number.

I agree.
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 11:07
Originally posted by 1800iareyay 1800iareyay wrote:

I don't really see any irony for that matter

Indeed, didn't thought you would.
Bigger on the inside.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 11:11
I dind't see any because there isn't any. One of my biggest peeves is how irony has been warped to include things that do not even resemble irony. The title is contrdicted by you complimenting Hugues. Not irony.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 11:37
I see very little point in adding that number of "reviews" without writing anything to justify the rating.
johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 12:42
There are all types out there.  drain-o probably just likes doing it his own way and is not looking for validation.  It would be interesting to hear from him, but he certainly is not doing anything to hurt the site, as long as he has actually heard the albums and is giving them a fair review.

Edited by johnobvious - July 26 2007 at 12:46
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 15:32
Send the guy a PM if you want to know how and why he does it this way...

And there's no irony to be found in this thread so far.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 15:51
"Help Us Improve The Site"?

What is going on with these moves? Wacko
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 16:00
I think Drain-oo is one of our non English speaking memebrs. To my knowledge, he has never written a review.
The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 16:31
Yes he has, actually.

And no, he's one of the best English speakers here, because he wrote some of the funniest reviews *ever* if you look carefully:

OZRIC TENTACLES — Strangeitude

Review by drain-o (Jacques Brenier)

5%20stars It was the first release which I ever had of the Tentacles of Ozric. I was inspired by descriptions of the noises synthesized by spacey and the low lines of palpitation in the reviews which I had knowledge of this group. Indeed, listening at the time initially, I was not left downwards. The combination of Ed and Roly Wynne is pure genius.

All gives a kick in speed with the white tea of Rhinoceros. I am not sure how you can make a tea starting from a white rhinoceros as I thought that the tea was a factory and not an animal. Although this makes my brain feel strange, I appreciated it though I did not taste the tea. You would think that it could smell very badly, but I cannot feel anything when I listen to this song. It is probably for the best, my brain would think bravely.

Sploosh has a low line wild and palpitating which makes my ears reverse milk shakes with joy. This only song is worth the sorrow the purchase of this album for me. I can balance eggs on my head and still smell myself as I have a time of recreation. There was not something to smell here while I listened attentively. Definite more, but not has without, in my paragraph to be initialized.

I found saucers pleasant as well. These types are really gifted when it comes to qualities instrumental. The song of title is another house of power of the bright brushes of connector of ear. It is terrible and it makes my mouth sprinkle although not around celery. Really, I am excited with my nose in the music more than my toes could imagine.

I also like the odd bazaar. I was with several of the odd places on the ground, even when you look to the top the moon and fall in bottom of the throats and direct pencils in bottom of the right roads. I am certain that you can buy houses of lettuce and dog and factories of wax here. It is a pleasure to hold on your being!

Space between your ears must be inspired by the people as I who have much of this space and has us much more ears than the average person. I would say that I have approximately 32 ears and they go all around my head and some are on my back and my legs. I like to hear and I like to listen and the Tentacles of Ozric are very good to make them water.

The last entry is Throbbe of phase and it has which it low of palpitation which places my thoughtless molecules all with the fluids of washing. I can say myself will require for much stamping if I want to send my washing machine in bottom of the street with take some bags of liquorice and bread. Court the hoo!

To conclude, I must say that it was completely a happy album for my ears because they rebounded all around my main thing having the recreation and drinking sodas. I can find much only moments to eat pizza pie and whirr around the back porch of the house of dog. I can hang my trousers to the top high and never have to worry about my ears falling. It is chief of work in my spirit and because it indicates that a chief of work must be five holds the first role, then I must conclude to give these five holds the first role for him is a chief of work. Strongly recommended for your ears and moose! --JB

You can't reach results like this with an online translator. He's an English speaker, and an excellent one at that.

He also wrote reviews for Rick Wright and some Genesis, but they were deleted. Dig the inappropriate reviews thread...

Edited by The Miracle - July 26 2007 at 16:32
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 16:33
So he wrote good reviews, but did some bad ones, got upset at them being deleted and posted instead 5000 rates. LOL
The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 16:37
Here I found his SEBTP review, a true classic!

GENESIS "Selling England By The Pound"
Review (Permanent link) by drain-o
Posted 12:58:25 PM EST, 2/1/2006

5%20stars   I think that selling England by book is very marvellous. It is not as good as foxtrot and of the crimes of seedbed, but it is always one of best of all the hour, in the top of the twenty-five things. I like to listen it by eating pizza pie with a table of picnic. Gabriel has its voice to do a nice work and the load of lyric impresses me much. I cannot guarantee the goods which you can appreciate, but it is livable. It starts with a slow beginning but rises with the power and energy and I like the fast movement. It trails then to the bottom with a slow obliteration. It is like the effect Doppler of a train here and then going far. I know that what I like in your garde-robe is ordered with the lawn mower and the speech parts about the trousers and of the potato gardens. It is a piece of music very pleasant completion of interesting toothpaste and was one of them are the first blows. The fifth of the fifth is the best song on the album. The elegant banks makes a fantastic creation of the keyboards and the marvellous solo by Steve Hackett on the guitar has me flight with eggs and bird's nests. More imbecile I is right empty spaces. But it becomes better when we go to the battle of the forest of Epping, a walking piece of historical substance. It becomes complicated and I like times of signature everywhere. Rutherford makes low nice. The second best song is last of this seminal progressive work, the exposure of cinema. It beats me foolish with its astonishing keyboard by elegant Banks and Phil Collins eats its drums. With my ears, it is my best memory and with the fifth of the fifth. The genesis would not have another album as this always still as the lamb is downwards on Broadway would miss senselessness soup and passing by again logicians of council. An incredibly important work of progressive rock in the worlds and deserves holds five us the first role that all likes to see.--JB
LOLLOL
LOLLOL
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 17:01
Ah ah, that's priceless, Miracle. The man's a genius after all! LOL
Bigger on the inside.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2007 at 19:26
I think the guy is not an English-speaker and is using an online translator - the clue is where Fool is replaced by "imbecile" - which suggests to me that the original language probably was French.

Edited by darqdean - July 26 2007 at 19:29
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>