Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSo punk killed the prog did it ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Poll Question: in your part of the world was punk ever popular ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
15 [22.73%]
41 [62.12%]
10 [15.15%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: So punk killed the prog did it ?
    Posted: July 19 2008 at 09:25
I was thinking about "the times" back in about 78 here in Australia and to be honest with you I don't recall punk ever being that popular ... certainly not respected anyway which leads me to the question or should I say the "Theme" to this latest Yorkie X Poll,  Did punk really  KILL prog ? or is that something we just tell ourselves to come to terms  with progs run seemingly being over or in a state of tempery suspension at that time ?

Anyway  this is probably I dopey poll but honestly I dont remember punk ever really catching on big time not where I live anyway.  Smile

Edited by Yorkie X - July 19 2008 at 21:15
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2008 at 09:34
it was popular especially among the older kids I remember.. I was still a bit young and listening to what my parents did  ... but punk's real impact was where we all saw it and felt it...   new wave... you didn't see punk influences in prog..  but you sure did see new wave influences in prog. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Frasse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2008 at 10:16

I wasn't even born back then but get the impression that "Punk killed Prog" is a myth so influencing that proggers seem to believe it themselves.

Many of my favourite prog albums are from the punk-era of late 70s. Genesis was way bigger then than in the early 70s, and still prog. The biggest album of the era is Pink Floyds "The Wall" etc.
Walker View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2008 at 11:04
Originally posted by Frasse Frasse wrote:

I wasn't even born back then but get the impression that "Punk killed Prog" is a myth so influencing that proggers seem to believe it themselves.

Many of my favourite prog albums are from the punk-era of late 70s. Genesis was way bigger then than in the early 70s, and still prog. The biggest album of the era is Pink Floyds "The Wall" etc.

Well,, I was around back then and living in New York, I can tell you all that Punk did indeed kill prog, at least in my part of the USA. Yes, some decent prog albums came out around that time (The Wall, Duke, Drama), but they were few and far between compared to the glory days of the early 70's. Forget about hearing prog in any local music venue.. it wasn't going to happen. I imagine London was the same way, and probably worse.
Your Lame Sister View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2008 at 11:21
Prog was bound to kill itself anyway, punk just helped it. when prog bands started releasing crap like 'Tales From Topographic Oceans' and 'Wind & Wuthering', they were practically sealing their own fate.
"Playing acoustic guitar is like having sex with your clothes on - I mean, you know how to do it, but it's more difficult." - Dave Mustaine

Luke. J View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2008 at 11:31
Prog disappeared as all genres disappear when the popular artists overdo clichés. Punk did not kill prog, it rather displaced it.
mithrandir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2008 at 11:45
seems like a variation on this same topic pops up about once every 2 weeks here, what's the obsession folks? 
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2008 at 12:08
In Perú we almost never noticed it.

Before 1978 all the music in radios was in English, in those years Rock in Spanish started with strength, so Punk never had a chance here.

Also the beginnings of Metal with the hard Rock pioneers didn't helped Punk.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - July 19 2008 at 14:42

darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2008 at 12:39
idk, i keep hearing more how disco killed prog more than anything. punk was just big in NY, London, and maybe some other big city
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2008 at 13:38
Originally posted by Your Lame Sister Your Lame Sister wrote:

Prog was bound to kill itself anyway, punk just helped it. when prog bands started releasing crap like 'Tales From Topographic Oceans' and 'Wind & Wuthering', they were practically sealing their own fate.

I certainly disagree. Maybe those albums sealed there fate of causing Punk bands to think that these bands were getting out of their hands, so that's why Punk it's quite the completely OPPOSITE to Prog. Prog = +..Punk = -

No vote. Since I agree with Micky with the New Wave influences to bands such as Genesis and Yes, were taking there Prog writing out and turning into mediocre Pop bands.
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2008 at 13:44
I would not say that punk killed prog but there was a punk faction in Los Angeles. The Germs reunited in 2005 and still record.
peskypesky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2008 at 13:51
Punk may not have killed prog, but it definitely delivered a knockout punch that prog never really recovered from. That's why to this day, 30 years later, it's still considered sort of dorky to be into prog.
Prog fan since 1974.
peskypesky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2008 at 14:08
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

idk, i keep hearing more how disco killed prog more than anything. punk was just big in NY, London, and maybe some other big city

Punk completely changed the music scene in Great Britain, and though it never got as popular in the States, it did spawn the whole New Wave movement which did.

Punk spearheaded a simplification of popular rock music that continues to this day. Long songs and tricky rhythms were no longer acceptable. Soloing became sparse. Lyrical subject matter could no longer include hobbits, meditation, anthropomorphized mice (Tull, Genesis, etc), mythology, swords & sorcery and whatever the hell Gentle Giant songs were about. :)

Lyrics became personal, dealing with real life (usually love, but sometimes social issues and politics).

And let's not forget that punk ended the dubious fashion choices of capes, furry knee-high boots, long hair and tights (I'm referring to Wakeman, Squire, Ian Anderson and others...).

As punks would say, you no longer needed a degree from the Royal Academy of Music to be in a rock band. Anybody with a rudimentary sense of music could start a band and end up on the radio or MTV or wherever.

Whether you liked punk or not (and I loved it), there's really no arguing that it ushered in a new era of rock, which is still with us today.
Prog fan since 1974.
crimhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2008 at 14:29

But where is disco now. Disco is a dirty dirty word.
darkshade View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2008 at 14:59
Originally posted by crimhead crimhead wrote:

But where is disco now.

what does that have to do with the price of potatoes?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2008 at 15:07
Punk was to Prog what Charles Bukowski was to Tolkien, and both can be appreciated for what they offer

..did Punk kill Prog?  Not really, but the music press' love affair with Punk certainly didn't help

Edited by Atavachron - July 19 2008 at 15:09
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2008 at 15:10
^ exactly.. what 'killed' prog more than punk was Fripp being Fripp... Yes being Yes.. and Genesis.. hahha.. becoming Genesis. LOL 

the 1st wave wasn't going to live forever... and prog as we all know..  never really died... 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2008 at 15:36
Originally posted by peskypesky peskypesky wrote:

Punk completely changed the music scene in Great Britain, and though it never got as popular in the States, it did spawn the whole New Wave movement which did.

I don't know how much.

Pure Punk, the anarchist movement that wanted to simplify music to the extreme, had a very short life, it fell due to their own contradictions.

It was obvious that with two chords you couldn't do anything that lasted too much, so soon blended with mainstream, Glam, etc to create New Wave, which was nothing but a hibryd

Punk spearheaded a simplification of popular rock music that continues to this day. Long songs and tricky rhythms were no longer acceptable. Soloing became sparse. Lyrical subject matter could no longer include hobbits, meditation, anthropomorphized mice (Tull, Genesis, etc), mythology, swords & sorcery and whatever the hell Gentle Giant songs were about. :)

Continues to this days? I don't believe, Punk doesn't exist anymore, Prog Metal ended with that myth that soloing was no longer accepteds, Indie and alternative bands even with their limits are trying to create more complex tempos and some radical changes.

And about that urban myth that Prog is only about hobbitts and mythology, i's absurd, you only need to listen Genesis (Politics, Revolutions, fanatism, history, bothanics, wars, pedophilia, etc) or Yes (Whatever they sing about), ELP (Almost everything, even religion and anti religious feelings), Kansas (Spiritual search)....Please,. only a couple of bands were doing fantasy oriented lyrics, I understand a Punk may say he hates Pink Floyd for their fantastic and not realistic lyrics, because probably never took the time to listen the political protest and everything they involved, but a Proghead repeating this?

Lyrics became personal, dealing with real life (usually love, but sometimes social issues and politics). 

Love...That was the principal excuse for lyrics since The Beatles that the punks hated so much, but no Punk ever made intelligent Political lyrics like Pink Floyd or Genesis, only ranting with no sense.

And let's not forget that punk ended the dubious fashion choices of capes, furry knee-high boots, long hair and tights (I'm referring to Wakeman, Squire, Ian Anderson and others...).

Please peskypepsy, that was a post hippie fashion, it had to die, but Yes or Wakeman or Genesis, played the same music with any clothes, remember that after the Pünks the Disco fashion was even worst, with their wide bell pants, african look and white suits with black shirts.

Fashions come and go, the young generation of the late 70's was not the same one of the late 60's.

As punks would say, you no longer needed a degree from the Royal Academy of Music to be in a rock band. Anybody with a rudimentary sense of music could start a band and end up on the radio or MTV or wherever.

As a fact you don't needed to know how to play, it was criminally funny that Punks talked about Prog being pure image while the Pistols recruited a bass player who couldn't play a note just because he had the Punk look (talking about Sid Vicious), and later blended with Blondie, Laura Mars, etc, that were pure glam looks.

Whether you liked punk or not (and I loved it), there's really no arguing that it ushered in a new era of rock, which is still with us today.

I honestly believe Punk is dead and buried,. ony survives in small circles of young kids who play Punk because it's easy, but when they learn, they change to other genres.

Prog is alive and growing, Punk is vanishing completely.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - July 19 2008 at 15:38

Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2008 at 15:37
Absolutely it tried and damned nearly succeeded. Punk evolved as an answer to what Yes/Genesis/ELP had become, the idea being that you didn't need talent to play it and it didn't have 20 minute keyboard/guitar solos.

When I finished my degree at Cambridge in 1974, there were prog venues everywhere. I went over to do my D. Phil in Canada and when I came back in late 1977, there were almost none. Places I had seen bands like Druid, Caravan, Camel and the like were full of safety pin adorned, spiky haired kids just out of nappies with serious attitude and an uncontrollable desire to spit on you, listening to people with no ability thrashing their instruments and screaming whilst bouncing up and down like piledrivers. It was s**t, I can tell you.

A few bands came through and a few bands formed a second wave of prog in the early 80s so prog survived, but it was a damned close run thing.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
dzx View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2008 at 15:52
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

^ exactly.. what 'killed' prog more than punk was Fripp being Fripp... Yes being Yes.. and Genesis.. hahha.. becoming Genesis. LOL 

the 1st wave wasn't going to live forever... and prog as we all know..  never really died... 

Yes and Genesis evolving in their respective dubious directions OK. Fripp I have an issue with as youre talking about one of the main innovators of prog and how to reinvent and change with the times if not being ahead of the time.   

And no Punk didnt kill prog, it just give it a serious nudge to move on. Besides some bands described as Punk such as The Stranglers, Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Teardrop Explodes for example had very strong prog leanings. I would even go as far as saying that Killing Joke where virtually 'prog punk'
was that just an Am augmented minor 9th i heard? nice!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>