Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedXTC one more time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: XTC one more time
    Posted: February 26 2009 at 16:58

Can we revisit this band?  They have impeccable prog-someting credentials.

I realize the early output is some sort of 80's power pop (hey, that's what it was), but beginning with English Settlement they started moving into a more prog direction, with regard to songwriting  and general sound (give a listen to Jason and the Argonauts or English Roundabout).  By the time we get to Skylarking and The Big Express it's as prog as it gets.

Skylarking:  concept album, running through the seasons.  Rhythmically not very challenging, but those chord changes are quite sophisticated.  Nice use of 'noisy' little segues between the songs, not to mention Beatle-esque melodies.

The Big Express:  more rhythmically challenging, with the usual first-rate songwriting, with waves of proginess that come streaming out of the speakers.  It's almost the sort of album The Beatles might have made had they still existed in the '80s. 

Then of course we get what is probably the ultimate re-creation of '60s psychedia with the Dukes of Stratosphear.

I could go on,and will if you wish. 

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 17:08
I am not terribly familiar with XTC's output, but I've seen them discussed enough times here to understand the suggestion has some merit. As to their being "80s power pop", we have other bands here part of whose output can be described in the same terms (think Split Enz or Talk Talk) - so, I don't see any problem there.
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 18:19
Based on what I've heard (Drums & Wires, English Settlement, and Skylarking), they don't belong here, and would be very tenuous even in prog related.

They're an excellent pop band, but they're still a pop band.  No need to force them into the prog mould just because they're intelligent and occasionally complex.

Here are some songs from Skylarking, for those who actually do the final evaluations:

Grass
That's Really Super, Supergirl
The Man Who Sailed Around His Soul

Edited by Pnoom! - February 26 2009 at 18:23
Captain Capricorn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 18:23
I second the notion - they're perfect for crossover...have you guys hears English Settlement? Classic...
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 18:40
Originally posted by Pnoom! Pnoom! wrote:

Based on what I've heard (Drums & Wires, English Settlement, and Skylarking), they don't belong here, and would be very tenuous even in prog related.

They're an excellent pop band, but they're still a pop band.  No need to force them into the prog mould just because they're intelligent and occasionally complex.

Here are some songs from Skylarking, for those who actually do the final evaluations:

Grass
That's Really Super, Supergirl
The Man Who Sailed Around His Soul

Realistically, the Skylarking songs need to be heard within context.  Not to compare to Sgt. Pepper's, but if I posted links to When I'm Sixty Four and Getting Better would that really represent the album?
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 18:55
No, but the transitions between songs don't make it prog anymore than the transitions in Sgt. Pepper's make it prog.

I picked three songs from the album.  Grass is probably most representative of the album as a whole, That's Really Super, Supergirl is the poppiest on the album, and The Man Who Sailed Around his Soul is the closest it comes to prog (IMO).

I chose songs that would give a good look at the range of the album, and, realistically, we can't expect all the collabs to hear the entire album before making a decision.

Edited by Pnoom! - February 26 2009 at 18:55
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 18:56
I'll third the notion.  My intro was English Settlement by a friend who was a fellow prog fiend.  Not conventional prog, but I've always considered them to be.  Not so much in the albums that came before though. 

Also a side note of interest, though not really a prog credential.  Their first keyboardist Barry Andrews also worked with Fripp in the League Of Gentlemen.

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 26 2009 at 19:36
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 18:59
English Settlement is definitely the proggiest of the ones I've heard (but still not prog IMO)...

Here's one of the songs on the album it wouldn't be a huge stretch to call prog related:

Melt the Guns
Captain Capricorn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 19:08

English Settlement is definitely the proggiest of the ones I've heard (but still not prog IMO)...

Here's one of the songs on the album it wouldn't be a huge stretch to call prog related:

Melt the Guns

I agree - that's probably the most pop-ish song on the album...

Give this one a listen...

Edited by Captain Capricorn - February 26 2009 at 19:08
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 19:13

No, but the transitions between songs don't make it prog anymore than the transitions in Sgt. Pepper's make it prog.

I picked three songs from the album.  Grass is probably most representative of the album as a whole, That's Really Super, Supergirl is the poppiest on the album, and The Man Who Sailed Around his Soul is the closest it comes to prog (IMO).

I chose songs that would give a good look at the range of the album, and, realistically, we can't expect all the collabs to hear the entire album before making a decision.

I would have included Summer's Cauldron.  Agree that the transitions do not make it prog, but they are iterative and tie at least the first three songs together.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 19:28
Based on my thread search it hasn't been put to a vote.  You should have made this a poll.

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 26 2009 at 19:36
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 19:31
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Based on my thread search it hasn't been put to a vote.  You should have made this a poll.

The poll would be, "How do you spell 'me' in your dictionary?"  S H I or TLOL

Edited by jammun - February 26 2009 at 19:34
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 19:36
I think we need a Hell Yeah It's Prog To Me, What's The Matter With You People?  Subgenre.. LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 19:41

I think we need a Hell Yeah It's Prog To Me, What's The Matter With You People?  Subgenre.. LOL

Suggestion of the decadeClapLOL!
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 19:51

Slarti, if you are not already you should be looking at a career in psychoanalysis.  Because that get's right to the point.  XTC was one of a few bands I enjoyed back during the early '80s:  Wall of Voodoo, Talking Heads, Dire Straits come to mind immediately and I'm sure there are a few others.  So if I liked them they must be proggy, because I did not care for yer average pop (ABBA and other Europop always granted special dispensation). 

I still think that given the best of their songs they at least need to be considered.

Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 20:01
It's worth noting that the site policy is that they need a full on prog album to qualify for a full prog genre.  XTC certainly have some songs that approach prog, but in terms of full albums, I don't think they do (though I need to hear that one album you mentioned in your first post).

Regarding Talking Heads, if King Crimson's Discipline is considered a full prog album, rather than just a new wave album by an ex-prog band, then they should be included, because Remain in Light is definitely in the same genre as Discipline (though my personal view is that neither are prog).
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 20:17
Talking Heads is another controversial one I'd like to see here, as well as Joe Jackson, Tori Amos, Sarah McLachlan, Eric Johnson, Jimi Hendrix, Bela Fleck, Les Claypool (as solo artist), Jon Hassell, Praxis, Arcana, Buckethead, Automatic Man, Stereolab, Bruce Hampton, The Police, Pere Ubu, The Psychedelic Furs, The Allman Brothers, Mark Isham, Laurie Anderson, Joni Mitchell, Nine Inch Nails...

I'm probably leaving out some.

Some of these may yet make it one day. Big smile

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 26 2009 at 20:24
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2009 at 20:29

It's worth noting that the site policy is that they need a full on prog album to qualify for a full prog genre.  XTC certainly have some songs that approach prog, but in terms of full albums, I don't think they do (though I need to hear that one album you mentioned in your first post).

Regarding Talking Heads, if King Crimson's Discipline is considered a full prog album, rather than just a new wave album by an ex-prog band, then they should be included, because Remain in Light is definitely in the same genre as Discipline (though my personal view is that neither are prog).

I would say the Dukes of Stratosphear album qualifies for psychedelic, at least.  The obvious problem is that it came 20 years after the fact.  (Note to self, that would be a good name for a band: 20 Years After).

Edited by jammun - February 26 2009 at 20:43
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2009 at 06:02
I love XTC and English Settlement certainly has its proggy moments but I don't consider them to be a prog band and I doubt that Andy Partridge does.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2009 at 07:15
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I love XTC and English Settlement certainly has its proggy moments but I don't consider them to be a prog band and I doubt that Andy Partridge does.

Well, the important thing would be whether or not his pink thing thinks so. LOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>